Home

Cancer

Te Darasuum Mandalor

Cancer is a really big thing these days. We get it, animals get it, it is one of the worse diseases we can suffer from! My grandfather tragically passed away two years ago because of it. In this thread we will discuss.

1. Why cancer is such a big problem these days

2. Is kemo an effective way for potential curing it

3. other bad diseases

4. and discuss possibe cures and if it will be found anytime soon

Note: This is a serious thread! Please do not Joke or make light of this serious problem due to possible expiriences. I know how people can get about things about maybe "How silly somebody looks" when they are suffering. I would also like a moderator/admin. to monitor this thread.

My Comments: It can really ruin families these days by having their beloved people suffer.

Well, actually cancer has always bee na problem for...just about any living being...at least that I know of.

A cancer (correct me if I'm wrong) is a deformity of growth of the being's own cells? Something like that?

Diet certainly factors in. Certain animal based foods may contribute to the fertility of spreading cancers.

This is an interesting subject and one which I've not learned too terribly much about.

I know I have seen animals get forms of cancer and they usually don't survive long afterwards. One cat I knew got bone cancer right in her face and it had swollen up. She died 2 weeks later.

My rat breeding days, I had a few cancer infected rats. Usually had to put them down in most cases.

Seen dogs get malignant tumors.

Leukemia is a cancer of the blood.

I have also come across some bizzarre articles about eyeball cancer--Jae being an eye doctor could probably tell more about it.

Generally I have heard of cancers that attack the body (Don't know specifically which one) and what it does is send little micro reproductions of itself through the body and if the main tumor is removed, something happens and they all become 'mother' cancers. And I guess the way to kill this kind is to starve it slowly by choking off the blood supply so it dies and THEN remove it.

I don't know too terribly much. Sorry.

My guess is that in the modern age of people living longer, coupled with increases in medical knowledge, that at least one or more of one's relatives will die from cancer or heart disease related illnesses. Lost 2 of my grandparents a number of years ago, but they'd already lived relatively long lives before their passing. Live long enough and something will get you in the end. So, what type of cancer claimed him?

Cancer is a really big thing these days. We get it, animals get it, it is one of the worse diseases we can suffer from! My grandfather tragically passed away two years ago because of it. In this thread we will discuss.

1. Why cancer is such a big problem these days

I don't think it is a "massive problem" it is just more common because populations are living longer (as simple as possible), and cancer is caused by faulty cell division, as such the longer you live the higher the chance of getting cancer is.

2. Is kemo an effective way for potential curing it

Depends on the cancer...

3. other bad diseases

Eh?

4. and discuss possibe cures and if it will be found anytime soon

We will get more and more effective and treating and detecting it, but a "cure" is a more difficult thing to attain due to cancer generally being caused by a faulty cell division.

Note: This is a serious thread! Please do not Joke or make light of this serious problem due to possible expiriences. I know how people can get about things about maybe "How silly somebody looks" when they are suffering. I would also like a moderator/admin. to monitor this thread.

Humour is a legitimate coping strategy, given that my cousin (aged just 22) lost his battle with cancer in 08' and several of my grand parents have died for it, I don't see why humour shouldn't be used to cope with such a subject. There also is really no need to ask for a thread to be monitored; in Kavars thats automatically done.

My Comments: It can really ruin families these days by having their beloved people suffer.

I'm not quite sure how cancer can ruin entire families, it can cause great suffering and pain, but I don't see how it will ruin a family.

Actually J7, it sometimes can ruin families. I read in the local news that the death of a mother moved her divorced husband to fight over custody of the child between the grandparents and the step-dad. Apparently the Grandparents got custody, and the child had few visitation rights to the dad. If Cancer hits the right family member and the right time, it can destroy a family. Of course, not all situations are like this. Most of the time it causes great pain, but what I mean is that rarely it can destroy families

Actually J7, it sometimes can ruin families. I read in the local news that the death of a mother moved her divorced husband to fight over custody of the child between the grandparents and the step-dad. Apparently the Grandparents got custody, and the child had few visitation rights to the dad. If Cancer hits the right family member and the right time, it can destroy a family. Of course, not all situations are like this. Most of the time it causes great pain, but what I mean is that rarely it can destroy families

Cancer kills a single individual, in the above case the family "ruined" itself over it being a disease. Your post also seems to perform a 180 degree turn, from initially disagreeing with me and then agreeing with me... :confused:

I was adding on to your statement. Maybe it was a little off, sorry to confuse you. But what I ment is that It can do both, so I was partially agreeing with you and partially disagreeing. It is confusing yes, but it's a post that goes both ways

I was diagnosed with a cancer in 2007. Fortunately, I managed to catch early enough that it could be removed without any spread - the whole thing was gone four days after i'd found it. Unfortunately, not everyone is so lucky.

My friend died of Breast Cancer, never knew how bad it was. Kemo pretty much worsened her up that treated her. I heard some scientists are working on a new form of treatment for Cancer, something that is less damaging than Kemo

Chemotherapy does exact a massive toll on the body, but it does work in many cases. Fortunately I never needed to have either Chemo or Radiotherapy, but I certainly wouldn't have turned it down if I had no other option.

Humour is a legitimate coping strategy, given that my cousin (aged just 22) lost his battle with cancer in 08' and several of my grand parents have died for it, I don't see why humour shouldn't be used to cope with such a subject. There also is really no need to ask for a thread to be monitored; in Kavars thats automatically done.

My and my Dad laughed still laugh about mine - we laughed about it when I was in hospital, and looking back, I think things would have seemed much darker without that laughter.

My and my Dad laughed still laugh about mine - we laughed about it when I was in hospital, and looking back, I think things would have seemed much darker without that laughter.

There are hundreds of studies on the healing power of laughter, there are a variety of healthy effects on the body from keeping a positive outlook, and the actual act of laughing ads to that.

In any case, there are a variety of causes for cancer, genetics is of course a factor, as is your food intake, general level of health and environment. Of course, having good health and a good diet and a good environment is no guarantee that you won't get cancer, just that it's less likely to be caused or exaggerated by them.

But at the same time, even for all we know about cancer, we still obviously don't know enough about it. It would be pretty interesting to find a cure for it, but considering the variety of cancer, my concern is that "popular" cancers(lung cancer, colon cancer, breast cancer) would be cured, while less publicized cancers or more random cancers would be ignored.

My grandfather passed away in 2008 from prostate cancer, which is a growth that happens behind the bladder. He had already had it for ten years and it wasn't a suprise when he suddenly got sicker. My Mom and two brothers went to Hanford CA. to his house and my Dad and I followed two weeks later. We didn't think we would have to do that because the doctor reported he would be healthy soon. He was already in a cot when my father and I arrived. He died two days later. He was going through kemo, and we think if he didn't do it, he would have lived for another 6 months, but he would have suffered quite a bit. Me and all of my family are Christians and believe in heaven, and we know it was God's will to have him in heaven. I was the only one who didn't cry that day because I knew it was His plan. My Mom's best friend even had breast cancer last year, but is doing well now.

People really shouldn't smoke or do drugs for reasons not only involving addiction, but because it can cause lung, breast, and throught cancers. I have also heard that doctors may be close to finding a cure.

Anymore stories involving this topic?

I was diagnosed with a cancer in 2007. Fortunately, I managed to catch early enough that it could be removed without any spread - the whole thing was gone four days after i'd found it. Unfortunately, not everyone is so lucky.

Well looks like you were :p, but yeah not all people could be that lucky.

I agree. Humor does help cope with such a devastating blow. Keeps that feeling of hope around. I know that's how my friend coped with it.

There are hundreds of studies on the healing power of laughter

Of course, if there wasn't we'd still be confound at how people can get better just by having a good time. I'm glad that people are studying laughter :D

In any case, there are a variety of causes for cancer, genetics is of course a factor, as is your food intake, general level of health and environment

Yeah, a lot of canned products can cause cancer, it's something to do with the metal lining and stuff. Never knew Tomato soup could kill you. But I think that cancer is mostly caused by health, because most people live in a good environment. Most people I see that have cancer are overweight or are too skinny, don't eat right, or don't eat at all. Those are the primary causes from Health to cause cancer.

It would be pretty interesting to find a cure for it

Yeah, but for years Doctors have tried to find a cure and nobody has ever succeded. Unless someone who never got their product to mass production did.

considering the variety of cancer, my concern is that "popular" cancers(lung cancer, colon cancer, breast cancer) would be cured, while less publicized cancers or more random cancers would be ignored.

That actually is quite true. some doctors focus more on certain cancers, but the cancers that they can't really treat or can just be removed by removing and organ, they don't really pay too much attention. However, most Doctors treat every kind of cancer as very important, no more or less. Sometimes bad medical treatment can be problematic. Say wrong administration of Chemo can be very damaging, if not fatal. But the cancers you just mentioned are the most common, which makes them the 1st priority to treat. The others are not so common, and can either a. only be found in certain areas, or b. rarely passed down in genetics

People really shouldn't smoke or do drugs for reasons not only involving addiction, but because it can cause lung, breast, and throught cancers.

People have different views of everything. People know the risks when they do drugs or smoke, but they think it can't happen to them. It's a natural feeling which passes through everyone, but the moment when they hear the words "You have cancer in..." that's when they are usually in denial.

Yeah, a lot of canned products can cause cancer, it's something to do with the metal lining and stuff. Never knew Tomato soup could kill you. But I think that cancer is mostly caused by health, because most people live in a good environment. Most people I see that have cancer are overweight or are too skinny, don't eat right, or don't eat at all. Those are the primary causes from Health to cause cancer.

This is not entirely true, least not as true as it used to be. The canning process used ample supply of mercury in the past, and as we well know now, that's quite dangerous. However, such processes are no longer used, and the liklyhood that anyone will die from a can of something is very very low.

Yeah, but for years Doctors have tried to find a cure and nobody has ever succeded. Unless someone who never got their product to mass production did.

My personal opinion is that the corportization of medicine has led to a great slowdown in cure-finding. I won't argue they've found a great deal of treatments, and while treatments often come before cures, too often it seems that research simply stops or dies down too low to be useful once a "treatment" has been found.

That actually is quite true. some doctors focus more on certain cancers, but the cancers that they can't really treat or can just be removed by removing and organ, they don't really pay too much attention. However, most Doctors treat every kind of cancer as very important, no more or less. Sometimes bad medical treatment can be problematic. Say wrong administration of Chemo can be very damaging, if not fatal. But the cancers you just mentioned are the most common, which makes them the 1st priority to treat. The others are not so common, and can either a. only be found in certain areas, or b. rarely passed down in genetics

Actually, I generally trust docs to pay attention to all diseases in their field. However, I was specifically referring to public support for cure-finding. Much of the money and push for breast-cancer cures comes from the fact that the breast cancer movement is quite large and well funded(for women anyway). Likewise lung(lawl, I wrote "lunch") cancer is well publicized due to stop-smoking commercials. However, there aren't a great deal of brain-cancer commercials. And certainly it is a rare day when you find a man even willing to talk about getting colon cancer or testicular cancer, and that's not even as well publicized as others.

So while yes, some docs may have their own focus, I just worry that because of the kind of society we are, if there isn't someone riding our butts to find a cure, we won't.

Most researchers at UCSD are trying to find a cure, but a lot of other medical institutions are not making much progress. I don't trust doctors too much because sometimes they can be a. inexperienced or b. give the wrong type or amount of treatment. B. I usually the case, most patients get bad healthcare because they can't afford good healthcare, which can really affect how your illness progresses.

At the risk of ridicule,

And certainly it is a rare day when you find a man even willing to talk about getting colon cancer or testicular cancer, and that's not even as well publicized as others.

:dev8:

Most researchers at UCSD are trying to find a cure, but a lot of other medical institutions are not making much progress. I don't trust doctors too much because sometimes they can be a. inexperienced or b. give the wrong type or amount of treatment. B. I usually the case, most patients get bad healthcare because they can't afford good healthcare, which can really affect how your illness progresses.

If that's what happens in the US, I guess i'm fortunate enough to be in the UK, then.

At no point did I feel that any of the Oncology consultants or nurses were suffering from a lack of experience, or that they were giving me the wrong treatment.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, laughter is a great way to keep yourself healthier as opposed to not.

A step cousin I never met, (daughter from prior marriage of widowed aunt who married my now late uncle) got some kind of spinal cord cancer or really unusual problem--I say cancer because I do not recall, though I'm pretty sure it was cancer. She was one of only 38 recorded incidents and the other 37 were kids all under 16, she was in her late 30's. She died. Only 3 or 4 IIRC ever survived it.

That part of the family has unfortunately burnt its bridges with my immediate family or else I'd ask. :( But it is sad when it is a rare disaease and there is little to no help available to cure it. Never met her, but I can just imagine how helpless my "aunt" must have felt, or how it must have been for the daughter.

I am fairly certain this was a cancer.

Then there is common benign tumors like some that are found in the skin. Usually it is just a matter of cuttign out a cube of the bad area, and continually grafting it or sewing it shut if small enough. Neighbor had one in his back.

A friend of mine's wife has cancer. Apparently she was having trouble swallowing and found out her throat was full of it. It's not good; they have many small children and my friend just really doesn't need that happening to him right now (bad things happen to his family in streaks it seems). Not that anyone does-- but really, it's time to whip out the ol' Marcus Aurelius if nothing else. Personally I say, screw Marcus, it's an outrage that this happens to people such as they. They haven't told the younger kids yet. I don't know how it would be possible... She's having chemo treatments now. Hopefully that works out.

I guess the thing that frustrates me most is that I am unable to visit them much since I live in another city and have no real means to get to them.

I think we brought things like cancer on ourselves, and my oppinion on kemo is that it's not made for human health, sure it's one of the illest methods ever to be used on humans.

Sorry, would you mind clarifying what you mean when you say we brought cancer on ourselves? Do you mean that as a result of lifestyle, or some other reason?

I think we brought things like cancer on ourselves, and my oppinion on kemo is that it's not made for human health, sure it's one of the illest methods ever to be used on humans.

Right, chemo has a 90% CURE rate in some of the childhood leukemias, and about a 75% cure rate in adult lymphomas. No help there at all, nope, none.

Right, chemo has a 90% CURE rate in some of the childhood leukemias, and about a 75% cure rate in adult lymphomas. No help there at all, nope, none.

You don't understand what I mean, I didn't say chemo treatment doesn't cure cancer, all I said was that chemo isn't healthy for any of us.

You're absolutely right when you say that it cures and I have no problems with applying this method on people who have cancer but I do also know it isn't a method that's healthy for a human.

It is really a shame that people haven't found a cure for any kind of cancer, despite as hard as they have tried. I forget where I read this, but I remember hearing that cancer (now days any way) is almost as deadly as the spanish influenza of 1918!

Chemotherapy is also VERY risky and from what I have read, can shorten one's life by six months. That was the case of my grandfather. Also, if you know you are going to die and there is no chance of survival, you should pray to God and Jesus. Sometimes, even the littlest prayers can heal, not physicly because you will probably die anyway, but if you pray to Him on your deathbed, He will see that it is time to join him. That is what my pastor told me when we had a discussion on disseases in my youth group.

Archived