LF Game Nights - Fri-Sat. 7PM (Eastern)

swphreak

Do you have Steam installed?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have Steam installed?

• Yes.
    • No, but I'll get it eventually.
    • No, and I'll never install Steam.

Ok, so looks like Team Fortress 2 is going to be the *it* game. If there enough people, they can branch out and stuff.

Like, I know of a group that has Battlefront 1/2. It's just a matter of a certain British person getting off his butt and reinstalling Windows or some BS.

So, how about every weekend (fri-sun) at 7PM (eastern, sorry suck at time zones), people gather at the steam group chat and either play TF2, or if they want/can, branch out to different games.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
First gaming night was saturday at 6PM eastern.

We're going to play Battlefront 2, or at least start with that. After we get tired of it, we can switch to another game. I know my TF2 server works, and assuming the other source servers installed will work as well (HL2DM or L4D).

We played L4D and TF2. Was pretty fun.

I picked an earlier time so people ahead on the time zone charts can still join in at a reasonable time. Those in the US can join in later if they can't make it at 6pm.

I'm working on starting weekly LF gaming nights. Would you guys be interested in joining in? I figured we'd naturally play some LucasArts games, but not exclusively.

Right now, the biggest hurdle in setting this up is picking a day and time.

Here's a poll I made. If you'd do it really quick (it's only 5 questions), it'll help me get an idea of what we can do time-wise. Personally, I'd prefer something Thursday to Saturday in the evening to late night (eastern time zone).

I have a home server I can run dedicated servers on. Right now I have Battlefront 1 & 2, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead dedicated servers installed. I can always add more.

Also, we don't have to stick with PC games. We can play 360, PS3, or even Wii multiplayer games (if people have them). Jae Onasi has expressed interest in a Rock Band 2 event.

I plan on using the LF Community Steam Group to organize this. It has announcement and calendar events features. Plus, it has a chat room.

Please feel free to post thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.

Edit:

It looks like Friday / Saturday in the evening is the preferred time slots. The biggest hurdle is still the time zone difference.

How about our first scheduled event be Jedi Acedemy or Battlefront 2 next Saturday at 8pm Eastern. Sound good? I could make it a little earlier so it's not past midnight for those in the UK area.

Remember folks, you don't need me to tell you what to do. I'm doing this to get people interested, and to get an active online multiplayer community going. If you can get enough people together for an impromptu game session, go for it!

I'm all for this idea. I'll go ahead and post the games I have that I'd be all for playing, and I probably wouldn't even mind buying older titles that I can get in the bargain bin (i.e. Battlefront, etc)

I also have various steam games, including Counterstrike 1.6/Source and the ones you mentioned (especially wouldn't mind TF2/L4D). Then there are all the fantastic mods out there for HL/CS available on steam.

Random other games I'd be interested in:

UT3

Warcraft 3 (Haven't played this in ages... or most RTS's. I never got into the C&C games but I'd like to give them a shot)

Borderlands

Sins of a Solar Empire

And if anyone has the time or patience to play any of the Heroes of Might and Magic games (preferably 3 or 5. Those were the only good ones anyway) I'd love them forever.

If I think of anymore I'll post them.

Also: Bongo and I used to play on a Hamachi VPN. It's pretty simple and works really well.

Multi-player Monkey Island.

I'm all up for Battlefront 1 and 2, but if it's not strictly LA games, I've got F.E.A.R 1 and 2, Unreal Tournament 2004 and III as well.

UT2k4 is still one of my favorite games, but I haven't really played it since UT3 came out.

I was wondering about time zones as well. I'm self-employed and for the most part create my own schedule, so I'm pretty flexible if anyone wants to start something up.

And I don't see why it would have to be Steam, but seriously. Why would anyone be so against it? It's one of the best concepts for online gaming I've seen. I don't remember the last time I bought a game that wasn't through Steam.

I have also got UT2003... but we do not speak of it.

Oh god, no. Never again.

I have a crazy urge to rummage around and pick up UT2k4 again... I never played that online, only LAN with friends and bots. That was an excellent game. And the community was far superior to UT3's :/

Let's not forget Call of Duty 4, a game of whose multiplayer I am very fond...

But anyways, I'll second the Sins of a Solar Empire vote, perhaps using the Star Wars mod for it too (pretty fun!). I have:

CoD4

UT3

HL2DM

L4D

L4D2

Homeworld 2 (god someone please say they want to play multiplayer with me w/ PDS mod, I'll get stomped but it is so beautiful who cares)

TF2

Jedi Outcast/Academy/DF2

Age of Mythology (YES! Play with me and I'll reward you with...defeat!)

Battlefront 1/2

Battlefield 1942+exp

Battlefield2

Descent/2/3

Freespace 2

Guild Wars

NWN1/2/MotB

Republic Commando

XWA/XvT

Not really the place, but has anyone played Shattered Horizon? I was definitely thinking about getting it but I'm not sure if there's enough people playing to make it worthwhile. I'll try it tomorrow on Steam's free weekend thingy.

Not really the place, but has anyone played Shattered Horizon? I was definitely thinking about getting it but I'm not sure if there's enough people playing to make it worthwhile. I'll try it tomorrow on Steam's free weekend thingy.

it is very good (particularly now they have added 4 new maps), but hard work to get the hang of. The community is good. You do need a beast of a machine to make it run well as the lighting calculations are probably the most complex in a game I have seen (most games cheat).

EDIT: My most recent blog post is my thoughts on Shattered Horizon BTW.

But anyways, I'll second the Sins of a Solar Empire vote, perhaps using the Star Wars mod for it too (pretty fun!). I have:

CoD4

UT3

HL2DM

L4D

L4D2

Homeworld 2 (god someone please say they want to play multiplayer with me w/ PDS mod, I'll get stomped but it is so beautiful who cares)

TF2

Jedi Outcast/Academy/DF2

Battlefront 1/2

Battlefield 1942+exp

Battlefield2

Descent/2/3

Freespace 2

Guild Wars

NWN1/2/MotB

Republic Commando

XWA/XvT

I wouldn't mind legitimately trying out the Battlefield games. I played them at LAN parties a few times but never online, and I could probably pick them up for pretty cheap.

Also: How's NWN's multiplayer?

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

CoD4

UT3

HL2DM

L4D

L4D2

TF2

Jedi Outcast/Academy/DF2

Battlefront 1/2

Battlefield 1942+exp

Battlefield2

Descent/2/3

Freespace 2

Guild Wars

NWN1/2/MotB

Republic Commando

XWA/XvT

I just got SoSE Diplomacy, but haven't tried any mods for the game. There's a Star Wars one out? I'll have to grab that.

Speaking of Homeworld 2, I saw that PDS youtube video last month. Really made me want to find my disc and install it.

OP updated:

It looks like Friday / Saturday in the evening is the preferred time slots. The biggest hurdle is still the time zone difference.

How about our first scheduled event be Jedi Acedemy or Battlefront 2 next Saturday at 8pm Eastern. Sound good? I could make it a little earlier so it's not past midnight for those in the UK area.

Remember folks, you don't need me to tell you what to do. I'm doing this to get people interested, and to get an active online multiplayer community going. If you can get enough people together for an impromptu game session, go for it!

Forgot to specify next Saturday, but I will be online tomorrow if enough people want to start a game.

it is very good (particularly now they have added 4 new maps), but hard work to get the hang of. The community is good. You do need a beast of a machine to make it run well as the lighting calculations are probably the most complex in a game I have seen (most games cheat).

EDIT: My most recent blog post is my thoughts on Shattered Horizon BTW.

Thanks-- I tried it out this weekend and bought it. Definitely worth the cheap price. If anyone wants to play...

I wouldn't mind legitimately trying out the Battlefield games. I played them at LAN parties a few times but never online, and I could probably pick them up for pretty cheap.

Also: How's NWN's multiplayer?

Battlefield is pretty fun. I liked the Secret Weapons expansion the best because there was all sorts of fun things like jetpacks to liven it up.

NWN's multiplayer is dependent on what you want to do, really. There are some very RP servers and others where you're just finishing the campaigns and no one cares about character. Still it's fun to go dungeon-looting with friends.

I just got SoSE Diplomacy, but haven't tried any mods for the game. There's a Star Wars one out? I'll have to grab that.

Speaking of Homeworld 2, I saw that PDS youtube video last month. Really made me want to find my disc and install it.

There's a couple of Star Wars mods, actually. One is Sins of a Galactic Empire, which replaces the original races with SW ones, while the other is Requiem, which adds the Empire and the Rebels to the original. Both are based on the Homeworld 2 Star Wars mods (at least in terms of assets). And yes, PDS is awesome.

It looks like I'll be able to game on Saturday. Usually I work then but this week I'll be working Friday instead. Looking forward to it!

Bumpage:

First gaming night today at 6PM eastern.

We're going to play Battlefront 2, or at least start with that. After we get tired of it, we can switch to another game. I know my TF2 server works, and assuming the other source servers installed will work as well (HL2DM or L4D).

I picked an earlier time so people ahead on the time zone charts can still join in at a reasonable time. Those in the US can join in later if they can't make it at 6pm.

Remember, I'm playing this stuff by ear, so I have no idea how smooth this will go. If only a handfull of people show up, we can play a different game or something.

I'll be in the LF Steam group chat before 6pm.

It has been suggested that I turn this into a weekend (Friday through Sunday) thing, and that we should pick a few "core games" that many people will have.

So, every weekend, at a certain time, people can meet up in the steam group chat and decide on a game from the list of "core games" that everyone has.

If there's enough people interested in different games, they can split up or something.

I'm trying not to make this reliant on me to bug everyone to show up.

Alright, that's fine.

Assuming we're only looking at games we have on Steam...

We already know there's a large group of people with L4D and TF2.

I think two others (besides myself) mentioned having UT3 the other night as well, which is something I've definitely wanted started.

I also have CS:S, which I love.

Archived