Home

Winter Olympics

Jae Onasi

How have we managed to get this far into the Winter Olympics without a thread being started?

I love the games, especially the skating, skiing, and bobsledding events.

Curling? I don't get it. I'd love to know who woke up one day, said "Hey, I'm going to get my Ace Hardware floor broom out of my garage, throw a giant rock on the ice towards some spot out yonder, but run in front of the rock and sweep the ice because that will shift it about 2 millimeters to the right over 50 yards. That just sounds like loads of fun!"

HOCKEY!!

Honestly though. I pretty much watch whatever is on. I've always been interested in the Olympics, both summer and winter. I'm rooting for Canada and obviously it's in Canada, so I hope we can do better than we normally would. So far, we've been doing pretty well, but go figure, USA is in first. :dozey:

Not gonna lie, curling is pretty fun to play. Hell, I don't really mind watching it. Its pretty easy to figure out. But I can see why people don't care for the sport.

You mean shuffleice?

I like the Biathlon, myself. It's amazingly hard to shoot accurately while you're winded. Actually, I like the Winter Olympics more than the Summer Olympics. Lot's of high-speed, dangerous events that can get people killed, as has already been proven this time around.

And, of course, there's that classic "...and the agony of defeat." clip.

There's a ton of people around me in my dorm who decided that curling was such a joke of a sport that they would get really into it. It was funny at first but now they really are in to it, or at least they claim they are, mostly all they can do is use all of the technical terms and sort of know whats going on but its getting rather old. So if your like these people, please stop, your not fooling anyone.

Am I the only one who is surprised that the USA is in first? They have not won the last 2 I believe, in fact I read somewhere that Germany has won 3 of the last 4 olympic medal counts.

I really like Snowboarding, and Apollo Anton Ohno is my favorite olympic athelete ever so I've been watching it on and off, but I feel that the summer olympics are much more fun, and attractive for a lot more people.

That being said the winter olympics are far more dangerous, and more competitive, and this year's olympics have a lot of controversy, plus HOW BOUT THAT OPENING CEREMONY? I mean, I liked this year's opening ceremony better than China, and I still don't understand how they did that thing with the Whales.

Am I the only one who is surprised that the USA is in first? They have not won the last 2 I believe, in fact I read somewhere that Germany has won 3 of the last 4 olympic medal counts.

I'm not too surprised, although a 7 medal lead at this point is impressive. You're correct - Germany has won the last 2 total medal counts, with the USA coming in 2nd during both of those olympic sessions. However, prior to those 2, the US was only mediocre at best during the winter olympics. With the shift to the more "extreme" and modern type of winter olympic events the US has really become a force in winter sports. I think it was only a matter of time before the US started to really take control of the winter olympics like they have with the summer sessions.

As for comparing the two, I definitely prefer the summer olympics although I do watch most of the winter games too.

Does anyone else find it really annoying that lately half of yahoos top news have been articles that are just random factoids about the Olympics and Olympians inflated to be articles that usually have content about on par with what an 8th grader would write?

No - I enjoy it compared to "real" news.

Does anyone else find it really annoying that lately half of yahoos top news have been articles that are just random factoids about the Olympics and Olympians inflated to be articles that usually have content about on par with what an 8th grader would write?

8th grade level? Not bad, considering most news articles are written for the 6th grade level. They're moving up in the world!

Didn't anyone see the 'fail' moment of Sven Kramer on the 10 000m speed skating? Best time, good for the gold, only to be disqualified for being led into the wrong lane, by his coach no less. Kramer pissed, his coach hides in shame. Actually, I feel more for the coach than for Kramer, since from what I've seen and heard, the guy's a little arrogant (or maybe I'm still reading those Dutchies wrong).

No one's commented about the figure skating yet? Yay--I get first dibs! :)

Yevgeny Plushenko is being a sore loser, IMHO. He calls his silver medal "platinum", and even though he did a quadruple jump, he wobbled on some of his other elements. He didn't fall, but I thought Evan Lysacek was better.

Shen and Zhao of China were very good, though it would have been more impressive if the other pairs didn't make so many mistakes in their long program.

Mirai Nagasu of the USA is AWESOME, sticking to her routine while she had a bloody nose!!! I hope and pray she wins gold tonight...*crosses fingers*

Archived