Home

Do it ourselves.....

cb750f-2010656

You know, I am a do it yourself kind of person. My parents wouldn't get me a motorcycle, so I bought and rebuilt my own. If whoever that was supposed to do it won't/can't, then why doesn't some other software group try to get permission to make Battlefront III? If I knew the first thing about game design, I'd do it!

Not sure it's possible. If we could get someone who knew how, we probably couldn't get the rights. For now, all we can do is mod and anticipate.

As for a different developer...if I'm not mistaken, we thought Rebellion was going to take over, and all they gave us was Elite Squadron.

Come on; we're gamers. If we're not on fixed incomes, we're on incomes so broke they can't be fixed.

I do think it might be possible. The fans of Rune are in the process of making a Rune 2. I think that if they really got down to it, the modding community could probably make a total conversion. Look what they've done with things like Star Wars Battlefront Conversion, Battlefront Extreme, or the Unofficial 1.3 Patch.

It was just a thought. I think someone should.

It's not a question of whether you or anyone else would - no group of volunteers/indie workers/amateur developers is going to get the licensing rights to simply develop something that so blatantly infringes on a Lucas IP like that.

That should be enough to discount any "make it yourself" ideas, but if that were not enough, the prospect of designing any sort of next-gen game from the ground up is impossible without a large (dedicated) dev team and an incredible amount of time. If your assertion is that the game should be made in an existing SW game (like Battlefront II), then you're not asking for a new game, you're just asking for a mod - and those have been done in spades. Just look around a little.

My point is that if you "knew the first thing about game design" - and I don't mean to be condescending - you would see what a ludicrous statement that is. No one with any degree of common sense and even a little bit of design knowledge could contend that your suggestion is remotely possible.

I really don't seek a career in game design. It is much more fun to test ride a motorcycle than test play a new video game.

"Different strokes..." Design is more interesting to me than any sort of vehicle maintenance/mechanics, and game design =/= QA testing.

I meant for someone or a group of poeple purchase the rights (if possible). Then they get together with some pro game designers and make the game. Or (this is the original radical idea) get some amatuers with some skill to do it. We could search this forum and others for poeple who are in school for it. Then we pool ideas for the actual game. I would be satisfied with that. You can't say that it isn't possible unless you spoke with the owners directly and they told you that the rights are absolutely not for sale. Game design isn't as hard as building an aircraft, which is something I plan to start on in about ten years. A homebuilt Allison 1710 powered Supermarine Spitfire will be more difficult.....

But anyway..... A highly unlikely scenario, doing it ourselves, but possible.

A highly unlikely scenario, doing it ourselves, but possible.

No, it's not. You have admitted to having little knowledge how to make a game, and then you insist that it's possible. Based on what knowledge?

You're saying it can't be any harder to make a next-gen level game than it is to rebuild a 70-year old fighter. Your analogy is flawed, because one of those projects can be done by one person while the other can't. A more appropriate analogy would be saying "hey, Boeing's having problems building the 787, so why don't we just get some people together and build it ourselves!" Both a modern commercial liner and a modern video game require large teams of skilled laborers and significant time and cost.

Admittedly, building a commercial jetliner from the ground up requires a significantly greater investment (in any aspect) than building a video game, but the comparison is much more apt than the comparison to hobby-building a kitplane.

You can't say that it isn't possible unless you spoke with the owners directly and they told you that the rights are absolutely not for sale.

Ah, the old "you don't know if you haven't tried" assertion. But for the fact that there are any number of things that I can know without having seen and/or done, it would be an interesting point. However, because I can draw logical conclusions, the onus is on you (or anyone else) to disprove it. Name one instance - ever - of a group of hobbyist game producers who ever just "asked" a dev if they'd give out a license to their IP. If you can (and I doubt you could find an example), then show me an example of Lucasarts specifically doing that.

Then they get together with some pro game designers and make the game.

Do you know why professionals are professionals? Because they get paid. In what industry have you ever seen a bunch of professionals get together and do something for free, with no potential for reward?

Or (this is the original radical idea) get some amatuers with some skill to do it.

Like many computer-related tasks, video game design can fit easily into the "cottage industry" mold. The result of this is that if "amateurs with [enough] skill" to do something like this existed, they would be getting paid for their work (and consequently be professionals).

We could search this forum and others for poeple who are in school for it.

You can search this forum until your fingers fall off, and I promise you that you won't find one person with enough skill to take on a project like this, much less a team.

----

I don't want to be rude, condescending, or mean, but please allow me to be blunt - what gives you the faintest idea that you know what is and isn't possible here? You seem to have the idea that game design is:

1) Easy

2) Quick

3) Accessible

4) Cheap

Archived