Home

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

leXX

Breaking news...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/04/lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-to-be-an-original-digital/

Crystal Dynamics has announced its first new game since the completion and launch of 2008's Tomb Raider: Underworld. Set to debut in 2010, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will see the roadworthy leading lady come to undisclosed platforms -- via download.

http://www.laracroftandtheguardianoflight.com/

Hmm...what's with the guy carrying the spear?

Still, looks interesting at this point.

I think it's a playable character (Totec, a Mayan Tribesman) as it says it's co-op. Looks intriguing.

This is probably why they didn't stick the 'Tomb Raider' branding on the Guardian of Light, as it really doesn't look like it plays like a normal Tomb Raider game. Maybe it's something like Marvel Ultimate Alliance? Not sure it'll work, but I'll hold judgment until I see it for myself.

And there better damn well be another mainline TR game in the works as well. :xp:

The topdown guardian of light seems like it could be interesting, but I'll reserve judgment. The topdown could destroy it as easily as it could help it.

The second one being more Tomb Raider? I'll believe it when I see it. They told me, yet again, that this next reboot would be different. A more tasteful, back to roots reboot of the franchise and character unlike the lack reboot from Angel of Darkness that had Lara running around in a legless diving suit (seriously, if you're not going to cover your legs whats the point of a dive suit?) and a hiked up battle dress. I could, literally, rant for hours on Lara Croft and Samus Aran. Anniversary was a step in the right direction, but I felt like it still undermined the character from the very first game. Seriously, when has Lara ever gotten mopey eyed when hurting someone who tried to kill her?

The top down may or may not interest me because I have little faith in the puzzles and, I have a feeling, Lara is going to be gunning down a bunch of humans. The secret new Tomb Raider game has my interest up to a point... Second I see a screenshot of her in hotpants and DDs, I'm done. They have promised me change in 2 reboots, and failed to deliver both times.

Just as a fun fact, Lara Croft in Underworld holds the records for most pixels in a single game model ever. While I'm sure most of that could have gone into amazing gear and a detailed suit, It instead went into making her lips, ass, and breasts as perfect as the gaming consoles would allow...

The secret new Tomb Raider game has my interest up to a point... Second I see a screenshot of her in hotpants and DDs, I'm done. They have promised me change in 2 reboots, and failed to deliver both times.

Just as a fun fact, Lara Croft in Underworld holds the records for most pixels in a single game model ever. While I'm sure most of that could have gone into amazing gear and a detailed suit, It instead went into making her lips, ass, and breasts as perfect as the gaming consoles would allow...

You don't sound like much of a Tomb Raider fan if you have a problem with that stuff. The games have always depicted Lara as over sexualized, they just didn't have the processing power to make her ass look amazing in 1996. If you honestly expect that to change you are going to be disappointed time and time again.

Reason I don't have a problem with them doing this is that it is done to guys in most games with huge muscles and perfectly toned bodies, people are just more sensitive about it when it's done to female characters for whatever reason. It's annoying. Not that I have a problem with it either way, who wants to play as an overweight or weak looking character? It's a video game, they can get away with looking perfect.

Reason I don't have a problem with them doing this is that it is done to guys in most games with huge muscles and perfectly toned bodies, people are just more sensitive about it when it's done to female characters for whatever reason. It's annoying. Not that I have a problem with it either way, who wants to play as an overweight or weak looking character? It's a video game, they can get away with looking perfect.

Well, it's probably because girls can be in excellent physical condition and not have a large chest.

As far as changing the way Lara Croft looks...well, it seems like taking Mario and turning him into a body builder. Changes can happen in video game franchises without taking a character's main costume/look and messing with 'em. It's the gameplay and story that changes game series.

For instance, TR: AoD tried to make the series darker and grittier (and, from everything I've read and seen about the game, failed miserably). TR:U tried again and succeeded, thus changing the feel of the series a little.

From the look of Guardian of Light, I get the feeling that Tomb Raider is getting a little less serious again, and the gameplay is definitely changing--heck, the camera angle alone does that. Having a multi-player mode changes it even more.

• 2 months later...

Can't say I'm digging the concept after watching that. The camera work did indeed remind me of Diablo and the Ultimate Alliance games, but I would personally prefer a Lara Croft/Tomb Raider game continue in the visual presentation the series has exhibited in the past. I won't condemn it until I've seen more but based solely on that trailer I"m not excited.

Archived