Home

Trouble Installing JKII on Windows 7

jmjawors

Hi all. LONG time fan of this game. Last week I bought a new machine that runs Windows 7, immediately went to install the game and was unable to. I keep getting stuck around 91% on the file assets1.pk3. Has anyone else had this issue, or know of a work-around?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

You misunderstand the reason for my question. I am currently running Win 7 but can't get JKII to play for some reason. By asking the question, I'm seeing if it might shine some light on my issue as I am running 64-bit Win 7.

Any information from someone who has got it running in Windows 7 should help me. :D

Setup isn't an issue - I got it installed. I have the JediOutcast main app, JK2sp, and JK2mp executibles all on administrator, disable visual themes, disable desktop composition and in XP SP3 mode (also tried Win98).

I don't get an error until graphics try to load. I get all the way to the gray screen and then Windows give me "JK2SP has stopped working."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oh yeh that.

My friend had same problem, just read this _patch fix_ or use the old one

I just wanted to thank you guys for this, been playing this game for so long and didn't know why it stopped working all of a sudden, figured it might be the newest catalyst :)

2 questions though if i may, since i registered and all :) (Sorry for hijacking the thread but problem is solved so i figured why not?)

1. do you guys know of a patch to change the resolution somehow? i have a laptop running 1366x768 and i would love to play the game on max res, its too small for window mode and its too big for the ugly fullscreen the game is(was?) on.

2. game brightness is very low, what i do is make it brighter via game settings, but then my entire screen gets bright, like if i alt-tab and the likes, any way to fix this ? (that wouldn't have been that big of a problem, but sometimes, unfortunately, the game freezes for me if its trying to load a server or i alt-tab etc, or someone uses a crash skin - and then the screen stays bright until i shut it down unfortunately :()

thanks again

1) to set a custom res, use these commands

r_mode -1
r_customwidth xxxx
r_customheight xxx

where the xxxx are replaced with the width and height you want to use.

2)I use quickgamma to fix any gamma problems after a game exits and doesn't reset the gamma correctly. The original by ydnar is difficult to find, but there is a small update to it still online. try here http://blog.blackhc.net/2006/08/the-return-of-quickgamma/

hmm for some reason the customwidth and height didn't work, it made the window really really small for some reason :) i guess its not a big deal, ill set it up to windowed mode so if anything pops up or i want to check something it wont freeze when i alt-tab and the likes...

about quickgamma - thanks, i suppose if it'll happen to me ill install it and see if that solves the issues (i rather not have a lot of programs installed.. laptops come with so much junk already - i have 67 processes running at the very moment)

haha worked this time, amazing :) thanks.

another problem really lame one but you seem like you know jk2 commands by heart so you might have a solution -

im trying to connect to this server and when it passes through the main screen it says "awaiting gameplay" and then "server is for low pings only" now this server is in m state, i have the lowest pings out of everyone there, 20-40. when i load the console it says:

setdevicegammaramp failed

(dont know if thats the cause or not really).

what i do is just load the console and type reconnect but i bet you can think of a better solution ?

Thanks

Archived