Home

Network/Internet Sharing Issues

So, my internet connection for my gaming computer is done in probably the most piece-meal of anybody I know. I use a netbook, an Asus eeePC 1000HE (Don't know the bios, I just know that it works pretty good) still running XP Home on it for my internet connection, I then have created a network bridge on it that includes both the Wireless and Wired Connections, which I then send to my computer.

Computer Specs:

OS: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic" / Windows XP SP3 (Up to date as of March 4th)

CPU: Athlon XP64 3000+ (1.8 ghz stock, OC'd to 2.079 ghz)

RAM: 1gb DDR (Don't remember what speed, but my OC is probably killing it)

Video Card: Asus variant of a Nvidia 6200 GE (256 onboard, 350 mhz clock, 500 mhz RAM)

Sound Card: SB Live! 24-bit

So, my computer doesn't see the internet connection. And, it appears that the two just refuse to talk to each other. I get a warning on the netbook that there's an IP Conflict and that is what I suspect to be the problem, however I have had that happen before with no ill effects.

This time, however, it doesn't work. I had the same problem last night and booting into Windows solved it, and the connection continued after I booted into Karmic.

If you need any additional information, don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to find it!

Anyway, my question, how can I get my Linux install to use the internet connection? It connects just fine and get's the IP just fine, but once it tries getting online, it's as if there's a glass wall.

EDIT: (3 / 7 / 2010 @ 1535 GMT - 6) No idea how it happened, but the issue resolved itself magically..... I'm just as confused as anybody else reading this.... But, anyway, fed up with PulseAudio issues and, after breaking my audio with ALSA switching to Debian. This thread can be locked and/or deleted.

This happens to me a little bit as well (I have 6 pcs + 2 mobile devices sharing wired/wirelessly)

I've been told I could minimise the grief by switching all of my pcs to have a static IP(which is pretty easy to do), but it hasn't happened frequently enough to be necessary ;)

glad its sorted!

mtfbwya

Archived