Home

Strong Language in books

Last night I began reading Michael Crichton's Next. It's a good book so far but I find it irritating how much language is being used. I don't know what it is but I don't like reading books with a lot of language... I don't mind a little bit or even more than that, but when it's becoming some times 3-6 words a page it get's old. I am not bother at all regardless of the amount of language I hear in person, or here in movies or music.

Does anyone else feel this way, or am I just weird? :raise:

As long as it's used in a natural and realistic fashion, then it's fine. In all mediums, however, swearing can be grossly overdone, usually only to increase the viscera or "grit" factor.

Generally, the most "mature" media are creations that avoid such carnal tools to advance the story, but it is completely open to circumstance, however.

Well, when British literature was about how great it is being the best race in the world and American literature was about how great capitalism is, (English) Canadian literature was about GRIMDARK feminist survival* in the bleak, frozen tundra and saying '****' a lot. Being Canadian, I'm alright with strong language in books. o_Q

*'Survival' may be replaced with 'suicide'

For me I think it would depend on the context. For example I'm a huge fan of Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior books and Dick is a pretty foul mouthed guy but in the context of his stories it doesn't really bother me.

At the same time I wouldn't expect the same language from say Tom Clancy, or Clive Cussler whom I also enjoy as well.

normally i have no problem with profanity in any form except for GD, but an event that happened to me last night has changed my heart about profanity. and the only books ive read with incessant use of prafanity that wasnt censored by some means are the Gears of War books and the Aliens books. the Aspho Fields wasnt actually that bad with language. but Jacinto's Remnant was realistically bad, if that makes any sense

Eh, I'm pretty easy going when it comes to language, the only place I really mind language is in Church... but, considering that apart from Christmas and Easter, I haven't seriously gone to church in probably 2 or 3 years, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Now, having said that, I do tend to raise eyebrows when there's a lot of it per page with no apparent reason. I just don't understand why some authors resort to it, but it really does grate on my after awhile.

I don't mind it, but I do agree that to much of it doesn't help it at all. If it is used to emphasize certain points, then it works. Or if it is used somewhat sparingly. But if it us used in almost every line a character has, then it becomes a bit to much.

So far I've yet to find a book that has such excessive language I would consider putting it down and saying "no." I'll agree with you all that context can play a major role, but when it's multiple times a page for an extended length of pages it gets old. Especially if the words being used are unnecessary at the time.

Last night I began reading Michael Crichton's Next. It's a good book so far but I find it irritating how much language is being used. I don't know what it is but I don't like reading books with a lot of language... I don't mind a little bit or even more than that, but when it's becoming some times 3-6 words a page it get's old. I am not bother at all regardless of the amount of language I hear in person, or here in movies or music.

Does anyone else feel this way, or am I just weird? :raise:

You sir, are weird. If you're going to progress beyond reading picture books, you have to read stuff - as in, read language.

See, this is why they need to teach more reading in schools.

Context and how overdone it is make *all* the difference.

Like normal stuff, it's overdone if it is an often used word. 18+ Erotica Literature, on the other hand, you should be expecting it.

Though of late I seem to be becoming more strict about this: I never use it around my elderly relatives, I believe in God in some form or another, so GD sort of offends me. Where I can't avoid it, I have subconsciously replaced God with "gawd" so while it sounds the same, I think of/use something else even if it is just an invention for this.

If you can be judged for a sin not by action but by your heart and mind at a given moment, then that is where you start. God and gawd are 2 separate things to me. Still I use it sparingly.

You aren't weird, just a bit more stern against this sort of thing.

Eh, swearing doesn't bother me. By getting all offended and stuff, you give the word power or somesuch like that.

Ironically, it bugs the heck out of me when I watch a movie on TV and they redub the bad words with the stupidest words ever. Fruit you, mother fruiter!

Eh, swearing doesn't bother me. By getting all offended and stuff, you give the word power or somesuch like that.

Ironically, it bugs the heck out of me when I watch a movie on TV and they redub the bad words with the stupidest words ever. Fruit you, mother fruiter!

And then there's something like this, where the "dub" was actually part of the script..... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVCgTFw2Qk&feature=related

Though of late I seem to be becoming more strict about this: I never use it around my elderly relatives, I believe in God in some form or another, so GD sort of offends me. Where I can't avoid it, I have subconsciously replaced God with "gawd" so while it sounds the same, I think of/use something else even if it is just an invention for this.

If you can be judged for a sin not by action but by your heart and mind at a given moment, then that is where you start. God and gawd are 2 separate things to me. Still I use it sparingly.

I agree. GD also offends me more so than any other word ( except for crude words that relate to sex and the like). And for that reason I never use it. It especially offends me when it comes out of the mouths of characters I happen to like.

I am one who uses every manner of curse word there is on a regular basis, and don't personally mind it being in books, movies, TV, etc. It will only offend me if it is being used in something that contradicts its point, the characters, or is, really, being over used to the point it becomes comical yet was not meant to be comical.

Like, say, the Transformers Bay movies. These are movies that Bay, himself, says he is aiming at kids. The trailers and advertisements also seem to aim it at a younger audience, and it has a PG-13 rating. Now, knowing all of this going in, I am continually surprised at the amount of language there that in those movies. Its comical that those are supposed to be kids moves.

Even going back to the original TV show movie, Spike's dad says "s***" when Unicron is eating a planet. Why? Where did it come from? Who was it aimed at? Did he really need to say "s***" when there are plenty of more acceptable words to be used in its place?

I agree. GD also offends me more so than any other word ( except for crude words that relate to sex and the like). And for that reason I never use it. It especially offends me when it comes out of the mouths of characters I happen to like.

Well, the others I don't care about so much and occasionally I like it random or regular in use. But w/ certain people it isn't welcome. Others, fine if you have a reason.

Put another way it shows illiteracy, so you're only displaying it to the world. Discretion is the better part of valor...or telling some one to ****-off. :p

In any case, overuse is where it doesn't sound so good.

Quite true actually. It helps to be amused instead of offended, I agree.

Actually, I agree there, and bleeps actually sound better IMO than some lame attempt to change something so obviously meant to be cussing or what have you. It sounds ridiculous and they SO overuse dubbing. Bleeping actually ha a better effect: more disconcerting for the young, more used to it as adults.

What gets me is when they decide to censor words or people get all flustered about non cuss words they find offensive. I.E.

John Crapper invented the toilet, but you can't say "crap" around them b/c they are sensitive and neurotic. OR how about a game of "craps and keno's".

Or the word piss like "quit pissing me off". My dog took a piss on the sidewalk.

Some foster mom got up in some guy's face at work for saying "Freaking unbelieveable", ranting about don't use cuss words around her, wouldn't hear it about how freaking was obviously not a cussword, and then went on a diatribe about illiteracy. I decided to play dumb and exploit it. :dev9:

"Oh ok, instead of freaking unbelieveable, I'll say f***ing unbelieveable next time." She got all upset, it was so hillarious.

Archived