Home

Pirate themed games

Unfortunately there are no 'real' pirate games that I know of (although I could be mistaken), but I love the Monkey Island series, and I also love Sid Meier's Pirates! as well.

Although I did hear that there was going to be some sort of open-world game based on Pirates of the Caribbean (yawn), but I don't know if that ever got past the planning phase.

actually, it did and has been out for three years now. I am a member and the quests can get boring, but it is the BEST game for RPing. It also won an award last year for being the most family friendly MMO. It takes place inbetween the first 2 movies. I thought the game's antagonist was kinda lame at first (his name is Jolly Roger) but actually, it sounds kinda creepy if you think about it, "Roger" was a 17th century nickname for the devil, so he is a Jolly Devil. The events are fun as well and it includes alot of disney trivia. I am also a memeber of their forums too.

Other than Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004) and Pirates of the Burning Sea, I don't know of any other good Pirate based games.

Hmm, a shame they haven't made a new Sid Meier's Pirates! game. Does anyone know of a pirate game like that?

Claw - the best pirate game I have played, though I'm willing to try out Monkey Isalnd. It's quite rare, and it was released back in '96 (or was it '97? I forget..) by Monolith Games, and it used animated movies for the cutscenes. My only criticisms of the game is that it's extremely tough, and alot of the time I felt like I was watching a Disney flick. :xp:Watch the intro movie to see what I mean. That was one fun platformer that I still have great memories about.

I tried POTBS, but after my cousin and I bught it for 50 dollars at Target, it said we had to buy the online subscription! I was not impressed and I bought Age of Empires instead. I am also a fan of the Tortuga games by Ascaron Entertainment. The Port Royal games were fun too.

Edit: Sid Meier also had an idea to make a Pirate themed game for Wii, but he didn't know if it would be in the same series.

Nest year they are making an RPG called Pirates: Armada of the Damned. I was told that it is a prequel to the POTC movies.

Well, it can't be any worse than the other Pirates of the Caribbean games (the MMO excluded--it was really, really simple and I don't think I would enjoy playing it again now that I've played more complete MMOs--but it was fun, and it got me into online games, hehe). The other games for PotC are terrible.

...And those are all the pirate games I've played, so no, I don't particularly enjoy pirate games. :lol:

Sid Meier's "Pirates!" from 1987? I think I prefer the new one, it has better graphics and a better storyline. When I first got it, my mom thought that the little dancing minigame was "adorable." Ahh, good times, good times.

I am willing to give monkey island a try though. I heard it was good. What is the gameplay like, and arcade game, an RPG, an adventure game, or a click with the mouse where you want Guybrush to go?

The first Pirates of the Caribbean game, while not perfect, the best pirate game I have played. Before you kill me, it's this game where the only thing that had to do with the universe/films was meeting and geting raped by the black pearl, it's otherwise an open game. While fighting on land/aboard enemy ships was mediocre, the ship combat truly shone, and so did the skills/special abilities you could obtain. Fighting battleships using corvetes and actually winning is an amazing experience, and while SM Pirates is a fun game, it doesen't give you the same "oh frack I actually did that" feeling.

Ive only ever played the earlier Monkey Island games.

Never been a huge fan of the genre I must say - I find them quite comical as opposed to fearsome warriors, so a comedy themed game like the MI series suited it perfectly IMO.

Pirates vs Ninja? Ninja, all the time.

mtfbwya

Archived