Home

Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge: Special Edition

Alexrd

They looked that way because you couldn't get them any better at the time, so sticking to the same style at higher resolution just turned out looking a bit weird.

You mean the look or the animations?

Somehow the controls worked even less well in Escape From Monkey Island than they did in Grim Fandango, despite having some refinements like the name of the thing you were looking at being printed on the screen, and being able to flip your attention between items by pressing a button.

The fact that Grim Fandango was otherwise excellent probably helped reduce the frustration caused by the controls, mind you. Escape started quite well but... :(

• 1 month later...

Yo, me hearties! I don't think I've ever been to this area of LucasForums before ( I've tended to stick around Mixnmojo mainly). So...yeah, the special editions. I like them, but I can't help but feel let down by them also. Personally, the biggest selling point was the voice-over, so when I play the series I go with the Ultimate Talkie Editions in order to get good old pixel art goodness with the new speech. I wouldn't be against seeing a remastering/widescreen support for Curse and Escape though, especially if Grim Fandango Remastered (holy cow, that's happening?!) does well. Escape would be great for a remastering just so the controls can be tightened up and fix that wretched Monkey Combat!

Man I'm up for anything that implies more Monkey Island goodness! :D :D :D I have more hope for it now that they're doing Grim Fandango, means Disney's interested in all the LucasArts stuff it got a hold of! :D

Lol, if you want more MI forum action, Ye Olde Harbour is the place to be! :shads3:

I still can't deal with the giant monkey head being a robot in EMI. And since we already have an pretty good 3D in the tales, there's only two things left for a remake of EMI: controls (point'n'click) and ... the story. ^^

I'm really happy with the special editions, though. The music is fabulous, and the whole game has lost nothing of its flair. Sometimes I can't decide between old style and new style graphics. It would have been cool to add the voicing to the old style in SoMI:SE, too, however.

While I think the Special Editions did a really great job in updating the original games so that a new generation could enjoy them without the peer pressure of being ridiculed for liking something so old decrepit, I do prefer the VGA originals....especially the one I first played on the Amiga with the text descriptions of items.

Maybe I'm just overly nostalgic.

Archived