Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

I guess I'll start here, surprise everyone, and say I think this is looking great this time around, at least in terms of backgrounds. The characters look a lot better and I can see from the model sheets it appears they have someone who can actually draw doing most of the characters, but I can't be fully sure just yet.

Guybrush still looks bad though. I don't know why they have a hard time getting the most important character looking right. I'm hoping the weird and stiff looking flash animation for the characters on the website is not representational of what it will be like in the game, but I think last time around the moving characters on the site were found to only be like that in the swf.

Also all of the extras this time sound great! Commentary? YES! Old unseen concept art?! **** YES! The ability to play the old game with the new sounds? Amazing! (I hope you can still play with the old music though!)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, he does look a little too anime-ish, but I still appreciate the heart put into the game. Elaine looks a bit angry too. Still, I like it.

The extras are just way too juicy, though. I hope they don't truss those up.

Soo Excited! I must say I actually really like Guybrush this time around I think they got a lot closer to what it should be... not really what I was expecting him to look like but I am pleased all the same with the result....

I think they may be trying to get him somewhere between SMI:SE, MI2 and MI3.

I also hope there are frames missing in the animation for the simple flash on the official site.... I do not see why we can not have more fluidity in the animation this time around because there are more frames in the animation for MI2 than there was for SoMI.

But all in all I would full on make out with whoever gave the green light for this..

I also hope there are frames missing in the animation for the simple flash on the official site.... I do not see why we can not have more fluidity in the animation this time around because there are more frames in the animation for MI2 than there was for SoMI.

You're right, while the walk cycles are pretty much the same frame rate as the first game, there was definitely more work done on all of the characters in terms of special animations and action within the game. Also Guybrush has a lot more different moods and expressions for dialogues as well as a few other characters given similar variety. So I'm hoping it'll just look nice all around because of that.

What's most jarring for me on the website is they tried to get zombie LeChuck's large gait going, but when he stands still, the pose isn't anything alike and he looks like he's about to fall forward suddently.. It's not like that in the original at all.

Also there aren't really close-ups in Monkey Island 2 unless you are on the dock, so it's not like they can screw that up!

Gov Phatt has a closeup. You can see a concept sheet of his remake in the gallery section on the official website, though, and it looks quite true to the original.

And the character frames and animations are absolutely sublime. This time this game is a much better improvement over the original game. I keep saying this but I almost can't look at the original anymore. VGA LeChuck's fear factor is severely dwarfed by the new LeChuck's unnerving persona. He's definitely much scarier now.

I honestly don't think I'll ever play in classic mode.

Not Purcell-quality, but still MILES better than the turd that was the first special edition. I was really worried they'd let that art team run rampant over the best-art-directed game in the series, but it looks like they actually hired some professionals this time around.

Maybe they can do a "Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition Special Edition" that actually looks decent.

The extras sound great, too. I may actually get this one.

I'm quite appreciative of what they're doing this time around, particularly with the new control scheme, as well as the commentary and concept art. However, they better get iMUSE right; that's what made MI2, and trying to pull it off with pre-rendered music is... disconcerting to grasp.

The animations must be better than last time; moonwalking was not in the Caribbean. Case and point: They better not screw this up:

skeletondancemi2.gif

I keep saying this but I almost can't look at the original anymore. VGA LeChuck's fear factor is severely dwarfed by the new LeChuck's unnerving persona. He's definitely much scarier now.

There's one thing I worry about. In the classic version, LeChuck actively laughs with pleasure as Guybrush screams. The screenshot from the new one shows him concentrating, but that could be chalked-up to a different frame of animation.

On the other hand, and I'm sure this will be problematic for some: how will the voice actors scream? I'm 100% sure there's someone who imagines the scream to be "real", "serious", and of course "dark" - and that someone will complain. And put exaggerated emoticons, like this: :mad::mad::mad: Instead of plain old :( Someone out there doesn't want the "Agghh aghhh" from Tales, but a recording of a 14 year old girl getting her teeth curbed.

I hope they don't decide to go overly serious on that shout of pain...(Also, dudes, time for me to pre-order that ****.)

Everyfing I've seen from MI2:SE graphically looks fine.... except LECHUCK! He looks baaad... really bad, uncool : / Just look at him on cover art - its... just... wrong:

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/money-island-2-special-edition-lechucks-revenge/#2790024

It's definetly not the zombie pirate we all loved... e.g. his beard looks like it's made of bricks or something :/ his face is ugly...

Ingame shots (from official site) of him looks better but:

73958172.jpg

Is it me or he has pig face? : ( His smile is awful

PLEASE LUCASARTS CORRECT HIM BEFORE RELASING GAME : /

The in-game LeChuck looks fantastic IMO — very reminiscent of his CMI zombie form, too. They even got the dead crow in his hat, possibly the first time this has ever been seen in-game?

I agree he looks a bit weird on the cover art. The original was so good though it'd have been impossible to better it.

LeChuck looks pretty good - his movement is great, and the art level overall is significantly better than the last Special Edition.

But (and this is sort of true of the game's art as a whole), he doesn't look as filthy/rotted-out as the original, which diminishes his scare-factor a bit. As does that Earld Boen 'cartoon grandpa' giggle he makes on the website. Boen's voice was a good fit for the cartoon games made after the series creators left, but overall I feel I'll find the CMI voices jarring in the context of an older game.

LucasArts had a good post on Facebook about this (didn't see this posted anywhere else):

To recap: SOMI Special Edition coming soon to PSN and Mac, amongst other cool things. Tons of Playstation Home avatar stuff coming for Monkey Fans. Special Edition 2 hits this summer for XBLA, PSN, PC, Mac, and iPhone. Phew. And yeah - we fixed his hair.

The last line got me.

What THE **** have they done to Guybrush's head NOW? And his EYES, OH GOD HIS EYES!

Otherwize it looks really cool. A second special edition was pretty inevitable with the success of the first one.

And I hate all-flash websites. Why the **** does LeChuck walk in front of the text I want to read and stand still in front of the scrollbar? Really what idiot designed this site. There also doesn't seem to be an option to turn off the sound.

Also, I want both games on DVD.

I agree about LeChuck looking amazing in-game. Like, basically perfect. His beard is pretty weird on the cover art, but whatever. Don't really think Guybrush looks that great in game though. Overall though this looks like a huge step up from SoMI: SE so I can't wait.

I actually like the new cover and the LeChuck beard, it is undoubtedly inferior compared to the original one but that was expected. Nonetheless, it is way more faithful than the new MI1 cover. On the other hand, Guybrush in the original MI2 cover looks like he is in real pain while in this new one he rather looks like he is thinking "I shouldn't have drink that much Grog".

Archived