Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

I have to agree that this is looking a lot better than the first Special Edition, which I really didn't cared for. So I am pretty excited about this.

My biggest worry now is how they handle the voice-overs. I thought the direction they took in the last one was terrible and I probably voiced my opinion about it here somewhere. It was all too over the top. The dialogue itself is funny, you don't need to exaggerate the voices to make it funny. It was like they were saying "Hey, listen to how ridiculous I sound, I'm saying something funny!!", which of course made everything painfully unfunny.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they nailed LeChuck's walk, that is amazing. So creepy! I don't like his overall body shape though; his legs look too stumpy. I really liked his long legs in the original MI2, he seemed to tower over everyone, almost Vader-like.

The backgrounds seem to be spot on. Especially the boat/dock on Scabb, it looks really similar to the fan recreation, I wonder if they took some inspiration from that? But either way, this time the backgrounds just look like high-def versions of the originals, which is exactly what I want.

My only other comment at this stage is the static poses for Guybrush and LeChuck. They are standing like erect pencils, and it stikes me as off, especally seeing as they nailed LeChuck's walk like that.

I think Guybrush should be slouching a bit, he seems to be in the originals, or at the very least he's not standing to attention. And LeChuck should definitely be slouching a bit, his walk is such an unstable swagger. It just seems odd that he's standing bolt upright when a moment before he's struggling to make his body do anything. I think it would be great if LeChuck rocked back and forth slightly when he was stationary.

I also really hope they play him scary voice-wise. Like someone else said, the dialogue should be underplayed if anything, it is funny enough on its own, and I feel the voice actors have a tendency to oversell it.

They even got the dead crow in his hat, possibly the first time this has ever been seen in-game?

LeChuck had the crow in the original MI2

Also, I cannot WAIT to see the concept art. That is a masterstroke from LA. Even if I hated the new game I would buy it for that. But the new game looks pretty damn good overall anyway, so double win.

I suspect it's too late for them to change much, but guys, if you're reading this, if I could offer any feedback at all - give Lechuck a bit of a swagger when he's standing still, and don't make Guybrush look like he's in the army. Other than that, i think you guys have nailed this.

That slouch isn't really a big deal. It's his face I dislike.

Still, good job overall.

Right... I disagree. I find the unstable walk to erect, statue-like stillness quite jarring. His face isn't so bad, I could do without the massive underbite but that's just how they've designed the character. However, his walk and stance are actually inconsistent with one another.

The backgrounds seem to be spot on. Especially the boat/dock on Scabb, it looks really similar to the fan recreation, I wonder if they took some inspiration from that?

I think the fact they actually showed that location among others avaliable clearly shows that :)

statue-like stillness quite jarring

I think (I hope) that's not the final sprites... they'll correct it - it's too non-matching...

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1224/mycover.png

The last attempt to correct MI2:SE cover... hope looks better than the original one:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9637/originalcover.png

Changes:

-Lechuck's and Guybrush's hair look less geometric

-Lechuck's face is modified

-Guybrush looks more like he's in pain

-The monkey looks at LeChucks and it's a bit scaried (as it was in Purcell's art)

-Lechuck's clothes (and LC himself) looks more dirty/damaged

Your cover looks really nice, Varrok. Especially Guybrush's face, it's subtle but makes a big difference. You should try shading LeChuck's beard a bit more. Maybe make it darker to the right where not a lot of light is hitting it. Overall it looks good though :)

Archived