Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, they really nailed it this time. Very clever changes overall: Monkey Island map behind :D bedside table doesn't look like a box now, stove is slightly bigger and has a pretty fire inside, and the 2 broken wood ¿beams? are much more defined now (always thought the one to the right was a face in M2):

facen.png

On the contrary, I quite don't understand why the main table isn't perfectly rectangular anymore :confused: (not a complain, actually; I simply don't get it).

This is all I really mean... lights off camera. If you look up three-point lighting you will understand a little better.

Oh, okay, I understand what you mean.

As for the MI2SE pic though, I still disagree; there's no immediately obvious light source from the left that's brighter than the moon, so there's no way there should be a shadow to the right of the rocks and not in front of them.

FULL DISCLAIMER: This really has nothing to do with the quality of the game or the image... Scapetti said earlier in the thread that he thought the nitpicking was stupid and I agree with him (and have done so extensively in other threads...). This is about light sources and shadows. A much geekier discussion. Move along.

Behold larger versions (plus a new one):

5100409112105.jpg

4100409112108.jpg

3100409112105.jpg

2100409112102.jpg

1100409112102.jpg

Is it just me, or does the lighting on Guybrush change according to his surroundings? And I'm not just talking colors (as at the campfire). Just look at the shot at the carpenter's place: Guybrush's hair is light at his forehead, and dark at the back. On the other hand at the hotel-reception his hair is all bright, matching the chandelier above his head. Maybe some simple normal mapping to simulate shading? Looks great!

Yeah, this really is a vast improvement. I get the impression I will play this without studying each new location with dismay. Little things will bother me, but I suppose if I studied the original with a magnifying glass there would be problems there too. They seem to have the atmosphere, which is the most crucial thing - and if you're right about the dynamic lighting/shading effects on Guybrush, it will be even more atmospheric.

Well done, LucasArts.

Haha. Maybe I should bump the contrast/sharpness on my TV up a bit when playing it. It'll be epic playing this on 42 inches.

That lighting trick looks cool, too. I remember being a little impressed when the MI1 Special Edition changed colour/brightness on sprites as they went between zones, but this looks like it's gone a step further.

hehe this is reaaaaaaally looking so amazing! Imagine MI1 SE with this quality. MI2 SE is going to be really atmospheric (LCR was always more atmospheric than SMI i think).

Oh man, it's time to finally give some well deserved kudos to our good ol' pal LucasArts!

Oh man, it's time to finally give some well deserved kudos to our good ol' pal LucasArts!

I just did on Twitter. I have to admit, I'm very happy with what they've done so far.

Let's just hope the other islands are up to it, too. I'm interested in seeing Governor Phatt in that new art style.

Makes sense, the box art has a monkey too. I approve of pretty much all creative liberties that have been taken this time around. The wood cutting guy actually looks great now I can see the detail properly, I wasn't so sure in the earlier small crappy screenshot.

Something just occurred to me. They changed the hole on Dinky Island from cement and wire into rhubarb and cave rock, right?

They can't do that. Not without a major change.

When Guybrush actually digs the hole, he says: "I've hit cement."

So either there's a huge change to the ending, there's a change regarding how the rhubarb is presented (at the beginning it's rhubarb, at the end cement), orrrrr, it's, uh, unfinished. Or maybe they overlooked something.

The plot thickens.

Allow me to conclusively prove everybody wrong on the whole "they changed the rebars to roots" thing once and for all.

rebarsproof.png

Perhaps the fact that so many people thought they were roots means that they were badly drawn or something, but they're definitely not roots.

Edit:

Another couple of weaker points I didn't put on the image:

- The "roots" are only found around the edge of the blast-hole

- They're grey. Roots are brown.

Don't get me wrong - it's an easy mistake to make. Just wanted to point this out to people :p I think that the main reason people got confused is because there's only a very thing layer of dirt above the cement. Also maybe the less solid-wall-looking backdrop had something to do with the confusion (which, to be fair, is more realistic after an explosion)

Archived