Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

I don't think you realize how patronizing and nitpicky *you've* come across. But, hey. We usually have amicable banter; I'd rather we kept it that way. There's no need to be so aggressive and rude.

And just so you know, your tone DOES sound like you hate every single change, though I guess you didn't realize it or intend to convey it that way.

I am not patronizing, but I AM nitpicky. The two are completely unrelated, obviously. To call me patronizing is one thing. That's fine. If you feel I'm patronizing you, then that's obviously something that's directly affecting you, and is caused by me. It's understandable you'd want to draw my attention to it and make it stop. I appreciate that.

But to tell me to stop being "nitpicky" is quite another thing. If I want to be nitpicky about something, that's entirely my business. I'm not being nitpicky about YOU. It doesn't affect you in any way. It's not about you, related to you, or anything to do with you.

Not only that, but in this particular instance, I have earned the right to be nitpicky:

I have been playing Monkey Island since 1990, before anyone even knew there was going to be a sequel. I played the original to death. When the second game was announced, I pre-ordered a copy and I played that to death, too. The original was my favourite game of all time for a very long time (and it might still be, I've not really thought about it). I love both games dearly.

I have been a member of this forum since 2002 (before we could even play old LucasArts games on modern machines - no ScummVM, no DOSBOX compatibility). I have been involved in countless discussions about all Monkey Island games over the years, and I love having the opportunity to do so.

But now I'm being told that I'm "wrong" to voice my opinion on how a game series, that I have loved for 20 years, is being treated. Apparently it's incorrect of me to not like the things that are being done to it, and I should not say the things I want to say - for no other reason than you don't like what I'm saying(!). Not only that, but I'm being told that the forum I've used for best part of a decade to voice my opinion on all matters Monkey Island related is NOT the place where I should post these thoughts.

You think it's reasonable to try and impose your own personal restrictions on the conversations here. It's not.

Provided am I courteous to my fellow forum members, I should be allowed to voice my opinions about the forum topic, regardless of whether you like it or not. Likewise you're free to voice your opinion about the forum topic, whether I like it or not.

If we disagree, that's fine. Provided we respect each others opinions. You have repeatedly shown my opinions zero respect, despite me repeatedly asking you to leave them alone.

So once again, Kroms: LEAVE MY OPINIONS ALONE.

It doesn't matter if I hate every single change or not. It is not up for you to police other people's opinions for acceptability.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you disagreeing or agreeing with me?

Is that a joke? :confused:

Wait, what do you mean by "after he's pulled Guybrush back"? Do you mean after he's turned him upside down? Because if so, then, like Thrik said, it would make sense for change to fall out of Guybrush's pockets because it would help Largo to realise that he's loaded. If, however, he realises he's loaded before shaking him upside down then it wouldn't make as much sense.

It still doesn't make much sense. Largo was always robbing Guybrush. The reason he said "Hey! You're loaded!" is because he'd just reached into Guybrush's pockets and found a stack of loot. If he'd said, "Hey! You're loaded!" while watching money pour out of Guybrush's pockets, then it would make the sense you're describing.

Hmm, I doubt they've added anything substantial. I wouldn't guess that this is the only graphical addition though.

That's quite a big addition, I think (although very small in one sense.) It's more than just adding a glowy affection to lights, they've actually bothered to draw new sprites and animate them. I'm quite interested to see where else they've added stuff. Also, wasn't this the first screenshot they released? I wonder if they were waiting to see if anyone noticed!

Is that a joke? :confused:

No, lol..

I said:

Allow me to conclusively prove everybody wrong on the whole "they changed the rebars to roots" thing once and for all.

You said:

You're absolutely right, the definitely have.

Which is grammatically ambiguous so I'm asking if you're agreeing with me or not. Am I absolutely right or have they definitely changed the rebars to roots?

That's quite a big addition, I think (although very small in one sense.) It's more than just adding a glowy affection to lights, they've actually bothered to draw new sprites and animate them. I'm quite interested to see where else they've added stuff. Also, wasn't this the first screenshot they released? I wonder if they were waiting to see if anyone noticed!

To me it wasn't substantial because I already pictured the money falling out, but I can understand how it would feel like a bigger change to everyone else who didn't picture it that way. I wonder how they originally intended it to be.

All of this is beside the point, just because some money falls out doesn't mean that it ALL falls out into the water and then Largo goes to get it. I mean, it makes sense that some coins would fall out or something if he's being shaken down by being held upside down over a bridge, right? If I run off with your bowl of soup and some of it slops over the side, no, I'm probably not going to go back and soak up the rest with a sponge. Yes, I could have been more careful, but that's by the by.

These screenshots are all we have to go on at the moment, so obviously they're being heavily scrutinised. Some people dig it, others are questioning the changes. And so what? It just proves we're all excited about the new SE.

And I'm frankly bored of this miserable infighting. Everyone here has an investment in MI2, and just because some of you like it just so and the rest like it the other way doesn't mean we're not too biased and nostalgia-filled to ever talk about it objectively.

So please stop ragging on each others opinions - neither of you are right and neither of you are wrong.

Why are you guys spending so much time talking about the money falling out of his pockets and the rebar in the hole on Dinky Island when REAL FANS who have LOVED THE SERIES THE LONGEST all know that what's really important is that fish on the wall above the door in the woodworker's shop. Yet another release where they forgot it. How could they? Real fans only play the releases with the fish on the door. By which I mean the original PC demo and the Amiga (for life) version. All other releases really screw up the secret, and I think all fans agree with me. I hear they took that fish out right after Ron left, which is why its only in those two versions and was taken out of all the others. That fish is probably why he left, actually. A fight over that fish in the woodworker's shop.

Wasn't the fish in the Amiga version?
That's what he said.

I suppose you really have to grow up with these games to care about all the little stuff like money falling out of his pockets, whether it's mistakes or small changes it doesn't really bother me. Am I a blasphemer? I have been pretty happy with everything I've seen for the game so far, it's still a pretty huge improvement over SoMI:SE which I already thought was well done.

Why are you guys spending so much time talking about the money falling out of his pockets and the rebar in the hole on Dinky Island when REAL FANS who have LOVED THE SERIES THE LONGEST all know that what's really important is that fish on the wall above the door in the woodworker's shop.

Screenshot, please? Never noticed the fish.:raise:

EDIT: Found it:

(1:41)

That last image has really sold me on the quality of the artwork. I'm loving the style of the art in that scene. Even guybrush.

edit: what happened to that kid who was around about the time of the last SE? The crazy one. I want his opinions on this!

That last image has really sold me on the quality of the artwork. I'm loving the style of the art in that scene. Even guybrush.

edit: what happened to that kid who was around about the time of the last SE? The crazy one. I want his opinions on this!

Who, purple_tentacle?

Archived