Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm here, I'm actually working on a little article about MI2 and MI2:SE, and I need a little help in the form of people willing to fill out a couple of pretty quick surveys over email. If that sounds like something you could help me out with (I'll probably be sending out the first bit tonight or tomorrow) would you send me PM with your e-mail address which I will, of course, keep to meself. I'd be most grateful.

Despite all our complaints there a big difference between the first SE and this one. If I had lots of money and decided to pay an artist to paint every scene from MI2 so that I could hang them on the wall, and he presented me with these screenshots, would I be happy.

Hell yes.

BUT... I didn't notice all the patheticness in the first SE until I played it so who knows...

Yep, it seems to be shaping up to be a far better remake, visually. From the selection of screenshots, it seems they've nothing to hide. The style is pretty consistent and brings it close enough to the feel of that hand-painted art used for the classic, for me. So I'll try not to be half-expecting something like Stan's horrible horrible sign from SoMI:SE.

It's great that looking at all these screenshots, I don't feel they are spoiling too much - a huge part of what I'm looking forward to about the SE is hearing all that music. I really hope they've got that sounding ace.

As Monkey 2 is my favourite game, I am thinking of writing up my thoughts on the SE when I get to play through it, on this tumblog I made. So far it's mostly just the screenshots and classic Monkey 2 paraphenalia, but hopefully it will get more interesting.

So I'll try not to be half-expecting something like Stan's horrible horrible sign from SoMI:SE.

It's a good thing they've demonstrated that they can draw signs this time around.

If this a preview of the commentary, I really hope Craig Derrick will not be talking since he was not shown in the video. That guy virtually has nothing worthwhile to add or anything interesting to say. DAMN YOU DERRICK

Also, Tim Schafer apparently did all of Monkey Island when no one was looking.

Ha! Three really funny guys (with Tim Schafer being the funniest, I think). A great read. Some things were telling, though...

Craig Derrick on listening Ron's, Tim's and Dave's thoughts on MI2:SE: Be nice guys. Remember, we did fix Guybrush's hair and put a very flattering caricature of each of you in the game.

and...

Tim Schafer on the MI2:SE: Guybrush's new hair is worth the price of the game all by itself.

So they put a caricature of the three into the game... presumably for the commentary. No mention of any other changes, though. If the three had been involved the MI2:SE, I think this is where it would have been announced. Clearly that wasn't the case. So I'm guessing no new additions... just lots of "Nice sign." "Nice door." "Nice parrot." "Nice tree." :(

So I'm guessing no new additions... just lots of "Nice sign." "Nice door." "Nice parrot." "Nice tree." :(

I agree, though I'm not too surprised. I assume they're working under some pretty tight budget constrictions.

Heck, just rerecording that iMuse music into digital audio must be a project in itself.

Edit: Oh, and Schafer's coffee and night-work comment is priceless.

Ha! Three really funny guys (with Tim Schafer being the funniest, I think). A great read. Some things were telling, though...

Craig Derrick on listening Ron's, Tim's and Dave's thoughts on MI2:SE: Be nice guys. Remember, we did fix Guybrush's hair and put a very flattering caricature of each of you in the game.

and...

Tim Schafer on the MI2:SE: Guybrush's new hair is worth the price of the game all by itself.

So they put a caricature of the three into the game... presumably for the commentary. No mention of any other changes, though. If the three had been involved the MI2:SE, I think this is where it would have been announced. Clearly that wasn't the case. So I'm guessing no new additions... just lots of "Nice sign." "Nice door." "Nice parrot." "Nice tree." :(

Nice post.

No mention of any other changes, though. If the three had been involved the MI2:SE, I think this is where it would have been announced. Clearly that wasn't the case. So I'm guessing no new additions... just lots of "Nice sign." "Nice door." "Nice parrot." "Nice tree." :(

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but "Nice parrot" and "Nice door" actually helped me progress through that last part. After the very dense second act, you need to make it lighter so the story doesn't bog down. It's a subtle way of dismissing something as a red herring.

From what I remember, anyways.

There was this time at a company party that we all dared Ron to eat an entire Lego pirate ship. He was so drunk, he actually did it. The resulting hospital stay was so painful, he completely blocked it out of his memory. I remember he was mostly mad because modern Lego sets have so many customized pieces, which have more sharp edges and so they're harder to pass. Gosh, I hope he doesn't mind me sharing this.

:lol: So THAT'S what happened to Ron's Lego set!

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but "Nice parrot" and "Nice door" actually helped me progress through that last part. After the very dense second act, you need to make it lighter so the story doesn't bog down. It's a subtle way of dismissing something as a red herring.

From what I remember, anyways.

You remember incorrectly, my friend.

He even admitted that on the first day of the MI2-announcement. And it feels good to see that they listen to the fans on stuff like this.

I'm very curious where they are getting the criticism because the only direct link of fans talking straight to them that I follow is on their Facebook where everyone is tremendously positive.

Maybe it's on the official Lucas boards? I never read those? Or maybe it could have been the trio themselves giving comments.

Either way, I'm glad everything looks way less wacky and over the top this time. It should be fun to play the old mode with new sounds either way.

The video.

So much to like (including that they fixed the rhubarb and made them into metal wires), but I dislike Largo's voice. I know that Largo's totally subjective and people won't like him unless he's somehow American and Irish and British and Scottish, but this voice doesn't come close. Armato did a better one a few years ago on that prank.

Archived