Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just a question of using the rubber gloves after they have been inflated by the helium pump in the underground tunnels, if I remember rightly. Not sure if you can use the helium pump directly as well. Guybrush sings songs, like the BeeGees, I think.

It's been a long time since I last played that game!

Varrok: I transcribed the list and you can find it here.

Nothing terribly exciting. I'm sure there are some more they can add.

No "beat the game in mega monkey mode" -- does that suggest that they've removed the difficulties?

I'm sure they could do something with the library books (most read), the grog bottle (most drunk), and the spitting contest as well.

Nothing terribly exciting. I'm sure there are some more they can add.

No "beat the game in mega monkey mode" -- does that suggest that they've removed the difficulties?

I'm sure they could do something with the library books (most read), the grog bottle (most drunk), and the spitting contest as well.

They've already filled the 200-point quota for XBLA-games, so that list is probably finite.

I've spent the last 20 years of my life vehemently hating all consoles and I stay away from them like the plague... but now I'm all lost with all this achievements talk.

Oh well I'm sure it's something I'd dislike anyway.

EDIT: Ah. I see. And I do dislike it! Fashionable consumer nonsense :D

Removed due to a copyright claim by Lucasfilm Ltd? Poo-cuss-film Ltd, more like!

Don't enjoy the "finish the game in under three hours" achievement. Come on Poo-cussbuckets, don't encourage people to dash through as fast as possible! Better would be something like:

1. Check out every book with a unique description from the library

2. Commit every crime possible [although I assume you have to do that to complete the game?!]

3. Mix every drink

4. Spit at Wally from every angle...

Not great ones, but better than the list provided! Can you think of any more to encourage exploration?

If we assume it's someone from LEC who leaked the stuff, we should have a poll called "Which LEC employee would you most like to be the one who started the leak".

It's a nice and polite way of expressing who you'd most like to see leave.

Alternatively I could just stick to stirring coffee instead of

Well, whoever it was they certainly didn't have anything to do with making it. When someone asked why the uploader skipped all the dialogue they replied 'because this game suck.'

At least, we would hope that they had nothing to do with making it.

Also, how do we know that the uploader captured the footage? Maybe someone else gave it to him because they didn't want to upload it themselves.

I hate achievements. They add an unnecessary layer to games. They're okay in some games, but the fact that every game includes them is so annoying. People aren't playing games to have fun any more at that point, they're doing it to impress strangers. Which is just weird.

That only leaves Lucasarts staff secretly "leaking" it to drum up interest

If that's the case, they did a really bad job because the guy skipped all of the dialogue and cutscenes during the intro.

I hate achievements. They add an unnecessary layer to games. They're okay in some games, but the fact that every game includes them is so annoying. People aren't playing games to have fun any more at that point, they're doing it to impress strangers. Which is just weird.

I hate them too because I have this OCD problem that compels me to get them all. I enjoy them if they encourage you to do funny things or find easter eggs but most of them all seem to be some sort of numbers game like "do x this amount of times" or "beat game fast" or "on hard mode." This usually makes me unnecessarily pad out my time playing a game and getting frustrated to get certain trophies that are harder to obtain than many of the normal things in the game.

All that said, I think the Monkey Island 2 ones will be a breeze considering the first one was. Playing under 3 hours is pretty lame and useless though. Since when is speed running an adventure game fun for anyone?

I don't think people really get achievements to impress people. They're more designed to entangle the many completionists out there in an eternity of playtime, artifically boosting the longevity of the game.

Once upon a time you'd get a ****ty in-game reward or something for collecting every coin or whatever — now you just get a tacky API-driven pop-up from the 360. This aspect saddens me as gone are the days where doing everything gets you like a whole new world to play.

I guess for those who do like to have pointless goals to meet (seems to be no shortage) they're good. If you're like me however you turn notifications off and never think about a single achievement. ;

I guess for those who do like to have pointless goals to meet (seems to be no shortage) they're good. If you're like me however you turn notifications off and never think about a single achievement. ;

Yeah, that's what I do. It just kind of annoys me thinking people will experience this game for the first time trying to rush through it :( I hope they take that achievement out :p

Doesn't change the fact that it was intended to be whistling in the first place.

The instrument tagged doesn't mean that's the actual instrument that should be played in a live arrangement. The Mac version of MI2, which uses actual soundbank samples instead of FM synth, has that played like a tin whistle or panpipe, not whistling. I imagine the instruments are tagged as "whatever sounds the best on an adlib, and an MT-32," not "these are the real instruments if you were to print this out as notation." Very little of the MIDI in the MI games is written as "real." Instruments go well out of their physical range all the time, parts are doubled up and jump between things in ways they never would be "live," etc.

But whatever, that's just an opinion and is beside the point anyway. The whistling sounds good, and it reminds me of the MI medley fan performance so much. Sounds almost exactly like it.

Dang. Missed the video leak. Was Largo's voice any good? What did it sound like? Gruff? Threatening? Not high-pitched comedy, right? Any accent? Can someone describe it?

It wasn't high-pitched. He had an American accent. It was gruff, sorta threatening. I would liked it a bit more if Dom had voiced him, but the new guy is OK. :)

Archived