Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

I wonder if the new head honcho will have an effect on the SE's development? For all we know, Rodriguez was responsible for Guybrush's hair!

Edit: Hmm, it looks like the might have been the driving force behind the SE's. Aw, crap... but they've been successful! Maybe the upper-echelons want more than just remakes of older titles... Wasn't there anything else in the pipeline? (Did they release/develop anything else besides that half-finished experiment, Lucidity?)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guybrush V3 was my personal favorite, I think. He looks the most Guybrush-y to me. Though that might just be because the first MI game I played was Curse, and he looks a lot like Curse Guybrush.

In any case, I'm just glad they fixed his hair.

Another thing in regards to acting is that the definition of good acting and bad acting is very subjective. Take William Shatner, for example. He's the kind of actor that people either think he's brilliant or they think he's an untalented ham of a hack.* Some people think his style of delivery is unrealistic, and some think it sounds more natural than most other actors' style of delivery. Bottom line, a person's acting ability or lack thereof is always a matter of opinion.

*For the record, I think he's a brilliant actor.

Some people think William Shatner's style of delivery is unrealistic, and some think it sounds more natural than most other actors' style of delivery.

Shatner can certainly act, but I think he got himself a reputation that made it easy for people to hate him. Plus he had a delivery style in the original Star Trek that was very easy to make fun of.

Can't agree with the idea that he's "more natural than most other actors", though... Being natural is essential to good acting. So it's like saying "he's better than most other actors".

Here are the four previous Guybrush concept art pieces, plus a new fifth design. The versions posted on Facebook had some buggy image code for some reason, which caused their colors to look wrong in Firefox and Opera.

LucasArts supplied fixed/color-corrected versions of the five images to Kotaku, which I'm reproducing here:

gb_v1.jpg

gb_v2.jpg

gb_v3.jpg

gb_v4.jpg

gb_v5.jpg

The first one IMO isn't "Guybrushy" enough- he looks more like some mexican comedy main character... The figure of V2 looks too triangle-based... the third one looks ok... V4's head is... strange : O I can't tell why

I must say that while I like V3 quite a bit, I also like V5. I'd even say five is better, because it looks, to me at least, similar to all of Guybrush's other looks, but exactly like none. It's got a quality of "reinterpretation" but, at the same time, is very faithful to the originals.

Also, the face suggests to me that Guybrush is still somewhat open and naive, as he was in MI1, yet he's also got a newfound edge that he's acquired as a swashbuckling pirate. It's a perfect balance for who he is in MI2.

I must say, I would actually be disappointed if all the LucasArts people could come up with was "CMI Guybrush with a beard." It'd look good, sure, but MI2 was never artistically the same as CMI and shouldn't be made so. Personally, I think the new look is a worthy addition to the previous Guybrushes, especially given its similarity to Steve Purcell's design of GB for MI1-MI2.

(we don't mention that MI1SE hair) :thmbup1:

I stand by my opinion that V3 has the body right; I've always pictured him as kind of a skinny, lanky guy. But now I like the face of V4 the best. I don't know quite how to describe it, but it just seems very right for a character like Guybrush. It's really open and sweet-looking, but at the same time there's a hint of a hardened pirate there, too.

V5 looks a little too weird for me in the face. With the eyes and the lips, he looks a lot more like a woman than he ever should, regardless of the beard.

My favourite's V2. He just has that wonderful teen-wearing-Dad's-clothes look, like he's trying to make himself older but failing spectacularly. The face is great too.

3 gets the CMI-type, but the face is just too cool for Guybrush. It looks like Indy.

And as for 4, he's way, way too cool. I'm trying to work out who he reminds me of. Antonio Banderas?

I do like 5 very much though, it's a good compromise between all of them.

I could only go for 3 and 5, really. I hate the face on 4 and it doesn't suit any representation of Guybrush I've ever seen.

I personally love 3 as it has the CMI/Tales look nailed, and they remain my favourite interpretations of Guybrush.

Why is V1 so familiar?

brus.png

This works completely.

I also don't know what's with the bodies for the color ones. They all seem to be using sort of the same hands and templates. Two have those squashed thumbs. I'm confused where the original template originated from. 3D models still but less so this time?

Archived