Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Were there any missing screens in MI2? Also, I didn't know that there was missing dialogue in the CD version... apart from the Charles Atlas line. So they didn't copy it exactly after all? Makes the 10 o'clock bug that much more annoying. What other lines were missing ATM?

I can't remember much else off the top of my head. I do know that originally Cobb's pitch for Loom in the Scumm Bar was much longer, but I don't think that it's fully displayed in any version of the game, even the SE.

Although, speaking of the "10 o'clock" clock on Melee Island: In the disk version of MI1, when Guybrush looks at the clock, he'll repeat the same first dialogue line over and over again, until you leave the room and re-enter. Only then will he change the line he speaks (and you still have to leave and come back again to get the third, final line). In the CD version he'll progress from line to line just by looking at the clock repeatedly--no exiting and re-entry required.

Also, Laser, I highly doubt any of the unused MI2 backgrounds made it back into the SE this time. As I've noted earlier, there aren't many that could be added without really changing the design of the game: most are alternate versions of background images, or remnants of ultimately scrapped cutscenes/puzzles.

Although if you REALLY wanted to, you could probably fit the unused close-up of Zombie LeChuck in there somewhere.

Although, speaking of the "10 o'clock" clock on Melee Island: In the disk version of MI1, when Guybrush looks at the clock, he'll repeat the same first dialogue line over and over again, until you leave the room and re-enter. Only then will he change the line he speaks (and you still have to leave and come back again to get the third, final line). In the CD version he'll progress from line to line just by looking at the clock repeatedly--no exiting and re-entry required.

Yep, precisely. It makes no sense for Guybrush to complain the "it's always 10 O'Clock" a few seconds after he's first noticed it. I always thought it was such a nice little detail, ruined by the CD version.

Review copies come with an embargo often backed up by an NDA, so probably not.

Let's look at it from a perspective that makes sense, though: the original SE retained its opening sequence, and you could even toggle between the new and old versions while watching it. Seeing as the MI2 SE has exactly the same runs-over-the-original technology, why on earth would the opening sequence be gone? Where did this stupid rumour even come from?

Review copies come with an embargo often backed up by an NDA, so probably not.

Let's look at it from a perspective that makes sense, though: seeing as the original SE retained its opening sequence, and seeing as the entire original Monkey Island 2 is intact with the ability to toggle between both versions, why on earth would the opening sequence be gone? Where did this stupid rumour even come from?

The rumour mainly came from the fact that everytime the opening scene was shown it just skipped straight to "Deep in the Caribbean, Scabb Island", and there weren't even signs of skipping the credits.

Or when guybrush picks up the monkey he says "perfect! a monkey wrench!" as well as the name of the object being "monkey wrench". They did add lines in Monkey 1, as well. In the circus after being fired from the cannon one of the fettuccini brothers says "the basic theory is fine", which wasn't in the original game, and when Lemonhead sees the idol, he says "ooh, that is nice".

Interesting. I remember 'The basic theory is fine' as being in the game. Is it in the Amiga version perhaps? That's the one I played for the first couple of years ...

Interesting. I remember 'The basic theory is fine' as being in the game. Is it in the Amiga version perhaps? That's the one I played for the first couple of years ...

It may be. I personally don't remember the line, but then I grew up playing first the Mac and then the PC version. Of course, I do think it was always in the game data files, and for some reason it's played instead of just being skipped in the SE.

Let's look at it from a perspective that makes sense, though: the original SE retained its opening sequence, and you could even toggle between the new and old versions while watching it. Seeing as the MI2 SE has exactly the same runs-over-the-original technology, why on earth would the opening sequence be gone? Where did this stupid rumour even come from?

Eh? The MI1:SE totally changed the opening sequence. No more LucasArts logo appearing in time with the first notes of the music, and you couldn't switch between old and new until you'd started the game proper. So the old opening sequence was totally eradicated.

Yeah, they made the sparkles come out at a different point. Total eradication. Might as well have attached rocket propellers beneath the island and set it to metal music played to Justin Bieber's sweaty vocals.

OK, well...my sarcasm aside, it would've been cooler to be able to see the old intro, but this is okay too.

Eh? The MI1:SE totally changed the opening sequence. No more LucasArts logo appearing in time with the first notes of the music, and you couldn't switch between old and new until you'd started the game proper. So the old opening sequence was totally eradicated.

I'm sure I recall switching between the old and new credit sequences, or at least seeing it. Eh, been a while — my memory for such matters is poor.

Whatever the case though, the opening sequence was there even if you couldn't switch to the original version. I just can't see them taking out such an iconic part of the game. If nothing else, they know it'll completely rile up the fans who they seem to have been going well out of their way to please this time.

I'm sure I recall switching between the old and new credit sequences, or at least seeing it. Eh, been a while — my memory for such matters is poor.

Whatever the case though, the opening sequence was there even if you couldn't switch to the original version. I just can't see them taking out such an iconic part of the game. If nothing else, they know it'll completely rile up the fans who they seem to have been going well out of their way to please this time.

Not to mention that it makes absolutely no sense to animate a lucasarts logo that directly references the credits sequence, and then take out the thing that it's a reference to. And that's only one reason this idea makes no sense, I think Thrik has the others well-covered.

Yeah, they made the sparkles come out at a different point. Total eradication. Might as well have attached rocket propellers beneath the island and set it to metal music played to Justin Bieber's sweaty vocals.

OK, well...my sarcasm aside, it would've been cooler to be able to see the old intro, but this is okay too.

What are you talking about? The old LucasArts logo doesn't even appear...? Then it shows the old Melee Island... before morphing into SE version. You can't switch back, because the credits are totally different. The only bit that remains from the original is the brief shot of Melee. Everything else has changed.

I'm not trying to make this out to be a crime against anybody, I'm just stating the facts. I personally don't care.

Archived