Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

Well, Thunderpeel's right about the PC version. It's an unqualified fact, I guess.

It's the same on the 360 version, too. Maybe it's different on a different platform?

Not sure why people need to get so defensive. I wasn't criticising the game, I don't really care if they've cut the monkeys at the beginning of MI2 (although it would be a shame to lose them, I admit).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hee I see now, having just gotten home and booted it up. It begins as the old one then transforms, so I guess that's why I remembered seeing both. My memory is so spotty. ¬

The intro is at least there though, so even if they pull the same trick with MI2 (though the format of MI2's intro doesn't really lend itself to it) we'll still get an intro.

For those who are interested, here's a link to an image comparison showing how LEC changed the Voodoo Priest in response to fan complaints. (The left side shows the original sprite, the right side shows the new version.)

I'm going to rather extreme lengths here to hide spoilers, since so many people want to savor as much surprise as possible.

Judging by the concepts for the Priest on the LucasArts MI2:SE website, the new take is actually an alternate design concept they'd already created for the character, which they reinstated when their initial choice for his look proved unpopular.

Also, here's a link to a screenshot showing the MI2:SE inventory screen. Pontification about the items shown therein is below, again in spoiler tags.

Almost every item looks much the same as in the original, except for Jojo the monkey and Guybrush the dog. Most likely, their inventory icons have simply been changed to match their new animated sprites.

Also note the golden "feather pen" in Guybrush's inventory. This is an item that was originally going to be for sale in the Booty Island antique shop, but was ultimately cut (along with a Christmas wreath). The two items' icons remain buried in the original MI2 data files, though.

Does this mean we can actually buy the feather pen this time around? Or did somebody just hack it into Guybrush's inventory via debug mode? At the very least, we can see that even the unused inventory icons have gotten the SE treatment.

This may interest PS3 owners who live in Europe;

from facebook;

"European PSN users - you've been waiting patiently for The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition. We know that. So we're happy to tell you that it hits the Playstation Store overseas tomorrow (in other words today, 23rd June)"

I am disappointed they went with the $1 = €1 conversion...

At least it's a bit more fair now, with the current economical climate in Europe. And it's not like we have a choice other than just not buying it at all... which isn't really a choice at all for us Monkey fans. Ah, First World problems...

Should also be noted that if you already own SMI:SE on Steam and you take advantage of the pre-purchase bundle you can gift your extra copy to another Steam user.
I actually never thought of that, but it's a good idea! I have a friend who I'm trying to get into Monkey Island... ^^

I actually never thought of that, but it's a good idea! I have a friend who I'm trying to get into Monkey Island... ^^

Where I live it is sooooooooooo hard to get someone into Monkey Island, or graphic adventure games in general. Everyone is an fps nut, except me pretty much. They regard point and click as gay little children's games. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

Is it me, or do the updated graphics-style suit MI2 a bit more than they did in MI1? I remember the original MI1 looked more 'real' to me than the original MI2 did, Still they both suited the atmosphere of the games brilliantly, although I do wish they'd kept the original MI2 cover, LeChuck actually looks scary in the original, whereas in this one he just looks funny and out of place.

Is it me, or do the updated graphics-style suit MI2 a bit more than they did in MI1? I remember the original MI1 looked more 'real' to me than the original MI2 did, Still they both suited the atmosphere of the games brilliantly, although I do wish they'd kept the original MI2 cover, LeChuck actually looks scary in the original, whereas in this one he just looks funny and out of place.

Yeah, MI1 does look rather more "realistic" than MI2. The camera angles are much more static and composed, and the landscape, buildings, etc. are all very properly aligned in perspective. Whereas in MI2, there's definitely more "wonkiness" and "cartooniness" to the settings, in that they don't QUITE always match up to realistic viewing angles. I don't know how to describe it, really.

This may be partially a product of how the games were made: the MI1 backgrounds were created in 16 colors on a computer, using the program Deluxe Paint. Whereas the MI2 backgrounds were largely created on paper using color markers. The artists got much more freedom out of the technology change, and it really shows.

Plus, the character closeups in MI1, which help set the "realistic" feel, were made significantly more realistic-looking in the upgraded 256-color VGA re-release. In fact they're almost akin to period-era portraits. But the original 16-color version of the game had character closeups that were much looser, almost cartoony even. So that definitely changes the mood of the game somewhat.

Archived