SyntheticGerbil

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really?

450px-Governor

monkey1.gif

996770444-00.gif

Heh, it is wonkier than I remembered, I suppose. Perhaps a more valid statement would be to say that the geography of MI1 is very linear. That is, Guybrush rarely has to travel in any path that's not basically a straight line in some direction, which the camera angles and background layouts facilitate. This helps lend a sense of "reality" to the perspective in mind of the the player.

Monkey 2 definitely has more complicated backgrounds, on which Guybrush's walk-paths frequently resembles a series of parabolas or wave functions. Think of Woodtick, where Guybrush's sprite undulates in size as he walks down the "street," or the rambling, winding path leading to Governor Phatt's house. This increases the sense, however subconscious, of "cartooniness" in the backgrounds.

(Wow, that was pretentious, wasn't it? ;) )

But I don't want this to become an argument, so I'll just say that this is of course an extremely subjective analysis, and you could probably poke a million holes in every argument I make. :thmbup1:

PS3 was left out last time ;)

I heard it was because PSN releases occur every Tuesday and rather than postpone it 6 days they just released it a few hours earlier.

...although I do wish they'd kept the original MI2 cover, LeChuck actually looks scary in the original, whereas in this one he just looks funny and out of place.

He may not look threatening in the new cover, but he's LOADS more creepier and scarier in the special edition in-game graphics then he is in the original (and he was pretty freaky in the original).

450px-Governor

This thing is correct in 3 point perspective actually, but yeah the dock.

Most of the decisions of the art direction for the backgrounds in Secret of Monkey Island seem to reflect more of a flat kind of cubist style in some parts of Melee rather than cartoon fun. Monkey Island 2 definitely goes down the comic book style route.

Secret of Monkey Island's backgrounds are in many ways sometimes closer to Loom than Monkey Island 2 in my opinion. As ATMachine said, this could have a lot to do with Deluxe Paint though. You probably tend to think way different when drawing with pixels as opposed to scanning in some crazy painting you just did.

He may not look threatening in the new cover, but he's LOADS more creepier and scarier in the special edition in-game graphics then he is in the original (and he was pretty freaky in the original).

Haha, that awful cover pretty much doesn't fit in anywhere now.

Secret of Monkey Island's backgrounds are in many ways sometimes closer to Loom than Monkey Island 2 in my opinion.

Which makes a lot of sense, considering that Mark Ferrari did the original 16-color backgrounds for both MI1 and Loom.

And yeah, I'd definitely say that the shift from Deluxe Paint to scanned paintings had a lot to do with the art style of MI1 vs. MI2. It's a pretty big jump from "320x200 pixel art with a palette of 16 colors" to "full-color marker drawing scanned in and then reduced in size."

Mark Ferrari did the original graphics for MI1?! I had no idea! Wow. I always assumed it was Steve Purcell... there's definitely aspects of his work in there (or so I thought). So Purcell just came in and spruced it up, as it were?

I have to say that I love the MI1 256 colour version (and the Amiga 32 colour version).

Mark Ferrari did the original graphics for MI1?! I had no idea! Wow. I always assumed it was Steve Purcell... there's definitely aspects of his work in there (or so I thought). So Purcell just came in and spruced it up, as it were?

I have to say that I love the MI1 256 colour version (and the Amiga 32 colour version).

IIRC Purcell worked chiefly on the MI1 character animations, and on the closeups of the characters' faces (that is, the 16-color original closeups). Ferrari was primarily a background artist.

Note too that it was Purcell who named Guybrush with his infamous "guybrush.bbm" witticism--as he was the one working on the character sprites.

A similar division of artistic labor seems to have prevailed on Loom: Ferrari did the backgrounds, while Purcell was called in for the most complex animations, like Bishop Mandible being torn apart (sorry, "Unmade").

There were more than a few credited for "Backgrounds/Artwork" on Loom and MI1, mostly the same team. If I were to guess, I would say Steve Purcell probably did hardly any of the backgrounds for both of the games and focused more on closeups. I'm pretty sure the giant monkey head screens are his though (and maybe the scumm bar interiors), but I'm not positive. This is also assuming one person worked on a background from start to finish, which might also be incorrect. I think there was yet again another Secret History article detailing the process, and I'm pretty sure it was one artist on a background, but the reference is gone.

It's easier to guess when he did in the animation I think though, considering what we know they assigned him to and a definite style.

I would love to see a break down of who did what in terms of backgrounds in Loom, Monkey Island, and Last Crusade one day, just to compare the styles.

I would love to see a break down of who did what in terms of backgrounds in Loom, Monkey Island, and Last Crusade one day, just to compare the styles.

Definitely!

Note too that it was Purcell who named Guybrush with his infamous "guybrush.bbm" witticism--as he was the one working on the character sprites.

Erm, well I hate to correct you, but... That's not right. It wasn't a "witticism". In Deluxe Paint on the Amiga brushes were saved with .brush extension to their filename (the Amiga OS not being limited like DOS to a ".xxx" three character maximum). He simply named the file "guy" because he didn't have a name yet.

So the file saved was "Guy.brush". (I contend that Dave Grossman is wrong! It's bold, but there you go.)

I can imagine that those around the office would have started saying, "have you checked out the new version of the guy.brush? what do you think?", etc. Eventually when they came to choose a new, I guess it stuck/or they found it funny.

Definitely!

Erm, well I hate to correct you, but... That's not right. It wasn't a "witticism". In Deluxe Paint on the Amiga brushes were saved with .brush extension to their filename (the Amiga OS not being limited like DOS to a ".xxx" three character maximum). He simply named the file "guy" because he didn't have a name yet.

So the file saved was "Guy.brush". (I contend that Dave Grossman is wrong! It's bold, but there you go.)

I can imagine that those around the office would have started saying, "have you checked out the new version of the guy.brush? what do you think?", etc. Eventually when they came to choose a new, I guess it stuck/or they found it funny.

In point of fact, .bbm IS the DPaint PC version filename extension for brush files--I think it stands for "Brush Bitmap". So "brush" is actually part of the file extension as it's pronounced, not as spelled. Thus, you get "guybrush.bbm".

BBM is distinct from .lbm, which is the extension for background files. These two formats were pretty standard in the LEC days of yore. (The early version art I have from The Dig, for instance, is all encoded in .lbm and .bbm formats.)

Only 24 hours or so to go till release, whats everyone gonna be doing on Wednesday, taking a day off from work? taking a half day? pulling a sickie lol

I've already booked the afternoon off from work so from lunchtime onwards its all about MI 2 SE :)

Also MI 2 SE is out now..............in New Zealand...........on iPhone and iPad.

Pricing details are confirmed as iPhone = £4.99 ($7), iPad = £5.99 ($9)

it'll be out for the rest of the world tomorrow, its strange that Craig Derrick said on OXM podcast there was no iPad version in development (clearly he may have been lying) but there were going to be a few surprises for that system, hmmm...

I think I'll pre-order it from Steam now while I still can. I already have The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition, but I bought it from Direct2Drive when they had it on sale. It wouldn't hurt to have a Steam version too. :D

Hi everyone! (Sorry I don't post much, darn Uni!)

Since I'm in my holidays what better way to start it then to play Monkey Island 2? I LOVED the 1st one last year, I grew up playing The Curse of Monkey Island 3 constantly (and Broken Sword 1 & 2, along with Longest Journey!) So even though I'm 20 now I still fondly think about these games and play them often, with Monkey Island 3 being my favourite.

However, even though I had the original monkey islands (1 & 2) I could never get into them because the graphics to me where so unbearable to watch constantly lol, the interface confused the hell out of my 7-8 year old mind and having no dialogue never helped much. So these special editions are really fantastic because they help me appreciate just how good the first 2 monkey islands actually are. I loved the bits out of SOMI:SE and the transitions to new/old was gush-worthy :-). Even though I don't spend as much time as I would like to on this site, I have been eagerly anticipating MI2 and will be purchasing it ASAP tomorrow. By the way I did like the TOMI series, but not as much as I wanted to unfortunately, some of it was quite dull and haven't played passed the middle of episode 4.

But I was thinking, I would really love to see MI3 happen, but something tells me that people (fans and the developers) don't want it because MI2 was favoured so much in comparsion (because of the developers, how big the game is etc) and MI3's art style clashes with there contemporary artistic approach, not to mention the 4:3 aspect ratio. It's a shame because I'm so fond of it (Wally (looking forward to seeing him in MI2!), Murray, Barber Pirates, Corpse woman etc) and it just seems so overlooked. I didn't get to play MI4 and Grim Fandango because of the clunky controls and early 3D wasn't exactly aesthtically pleasing to look at. I hope MI4 gets remade as a 2D Scummvm game after MI3, because I did enjoy (dialogue wise) what I can remember from MI4.

So, does anyone truely and fondly remember COMI, and prefers that compared to MI 1, 2 & 4. Hell, does anyone even like 4? (I kid, I kid)

Excited for tomorrows release, it should of been a 1200 msp game, would of gladly paid that much, or even 1600! Its exciting to know there is a proper classic monkey island game I have yet to play! Happy playing everyone! :-)

Archived