Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, it looks like they might have switched it up then. I'm genuinely surprised. I'm also expecting a lot of smartass comments about how wrong I was, so just to cut that out:

1) I said it would make no sense for them not to include it. I stand by that. It makes no sense.

2) I said it's really unlikely that they would cut it out. Looks like an unlikely thing happened.

3) I said there was no evidence that properly suggested it wouldn't be in there. I stand by that, it was all very circumstantial.

4) Remember, if you doubt a claim and the claim turns out to be true, that doesn't mean you were wrong to doubt it.

Sooo.... with that said, and the boring 'I told you so's hopefully dispensed with, I am genuinely shocked that it looks like they might have cut the credits.

Okay, it looks like they might have switched it up then. I'm genuinely surprised. I'm also expecting a lot of smartass comments about how wrong I was, so just to cut that out:

1) I said it would make no sense for them not to include it. I stand by that. It makes no sense.

2) I said it's really unlikely that they would cut it out. Looks like an unlikely thing happened.

3) I said there was no evidence that properly suggested it wouldn't be in there. I stand by that, it was all very circumstantial.

4) Remember, if you doubt a claim and the claim turns out to be true, that doesn't mean you were wrong to doubt it.

Sooo.... with that said, and the boring 'I told you so's hopefully dispensed with, I am genuinely shocked that it looks like they might have cut the credits.

You know, it is still possible that the credits are only in the console versions and PC.

As far as I can tell there's no developer commentary in the iPhone version? The options only have three toggles (control method, subtitles in Special Edition mode and voice in classic mode) and you can switch between old/new visuals by sliding two fingers over the screen. But no way to turn on commentary that I can find.

The description on iTunes doesn't claim it's there either so I guess they just left it out :(

As far as I can tell there's no developer commentary in the iPhone version? The options only have three toggles (control method, subtitles in Special Edition mode and voice in classic mode) and you can switch between old/new visuals by sliding two fingers over the screen. But no way to turn on commentary that I can find.

The description on iTunes doesn't claim it's there either so I guess they just left it out :(

Which is one of the reasons why I think they left out the opening scene in the iphone version. They had the theme playing in a 1up video, and they had the dancing monkeys in the making-of video. Surely it would be included.

I just downloaded and tried out the PS3 DEMO version of the game. Here are my observations. I bolded some important parts that might be of more interest.

Just tried the demo. I'm surprised at how faithful the MT-32 soundtrack in classic mode is to a real MT-32! There are differences. It's not 100% accurate but it is 99.99% accurate. Woodtick (which sounds very nice on a real MT-32) sounds absolutely horrible in classic mode here. Inside the huts of Woodtick sound perfect but outside the huts sounds very very bad. Like they used the horrible Piano patch from the MT-32 for some crazy insane reason. I have no idea why. It's supposed to be a bass and organ and the "Soundtrack" patch (which wasn't even recorded in either classic or special edition mode). Hopefully it'll be possible to patch the classic soundtrack with proper recordings from the MT-32 when resource file viewers for MI2:SE present themselves.

The iMuse is VERY satisfactory. It's not exactly 100% like playing the old game in MIDI but it's so close even I have trouble telling the difference. None of you will notice a difference. One thing I did notice, however, is that in certain sections they only use one version of the transition (such as when Largo leaves...there are a few variances of transitions in the MIDI version...only one in the SE). But for others it seems perfectly intact.

I'm very impressed with the graphics and animation as I knew I would be. The direct control for Guybrush is also very nice and intuitive when using a controller. And the ability to switch it off is nice. Same with speech in classic mode. Fits well. But you cannot turn off subtitles in classic mode when speech is activated, if some of you were looking forward to that. There are no awkward pauses between dialogue lines this time around. It feels and sounds very natural. Also, Neil Ross as Wally is excellent!

Everything impresses me. The biggest thing I wanted to check out was how they handled the soundtrack, and while there are a few screwups (Woodtick was a big one...worse in classic mode than SE mode, however) I'm very impressed and satisfied. They must have actually acquired an actual MT-32 and recorded everything from the raw iMuse MIDI files themselves when putting it together for classic mode. It's stunning and very enjoyable.

The only thing is you'll not be able to enjoy the classic version of the intro theme. In fact, you won't be able to enjoy the intro sequence at all because it doesn't exist. It's no where in the game. I was hoping that you'd be able to see it from the menu with the options to select to view the classic or special edition credits. Unfortunately, they're both just regular text scrolls with the SE version of the theme playing. No classic intro guys, sorry :(. On the upside, the special edition version of the theme is very well done and true to the original. The dancing monkeys are only in the LucasArts logo. The golden guy shoos them away and that's that. It goes straight to the logo and then the menu. And upon starting a new game it shows Guybrush hanging and after some dialogue between he and Elaine it goes straight to Scabb Island.

I just downloaded and tried out the PS3 DEMO version of the game. Here are my observations. I bolded some important parts that might be of more interest.

Just tried the demo. I'm surprised at how faithful the MT-32 soundtrack in classic mode is to a real MT-32! There are differences. It's not 100% accurate but it is 99.99% accurate. Woodtick (which sounds very nice on a real MT-32) sounds absolutely horrible in classic mode here. Inside the huts of Woodtick sound perfect but outside the huts sounds very very bad. Like they used the horrible Piano patch from the MT-32 for some crazy insane reason. I have no idea why. It's supposed to be a bass and organ and the "Soundtrack" patch (which wasn't even recorded in either classic or special edition mode). Hopefully it'll be possible to patch the classic soundtrack with proper recordings from the MT-32 when resource file viewers for MI2:SE present themselves.

The iMuse is VERY satisfactory. It's not exactly 100% like playing the old game in MIDI but it's so close even I have trouble telling the difference. None of you will notice a difference. One thing I did notice, however, is that in certain sections they only use one version of the transition (such as when Largo leaves...there are a few variances of transitions in the MIDI version...only one in the SE). But for others it seems perfectly intact.

I'm very impressed with the graphics and animation as I knew I would be. The direct control for Guybrush is also very nice and intuitive when using a controller. And the ability to switch it off is nice. Same with speech in classic mode. Fits well. But you cannot turn off subtitles in classic mode when speech is activated, if some of you were looking forward to that. There are no awkward pauses between dialogue lines this time around. It feels and sounds very natural. Also, Neil Ross as Wally is excellent!

Everything impresses me. The biggest thing I wanted to check out was how they handled the soundtrack, and while there are a few screwups (Woodtick was a big one...worse in classic mode than SE mode, however) I'm very impressed and satisfied. They must have actually acquired an actual MT-32 and recorded everything from the raw iMuse MIDI files themselves when putting it together for classic mode. It's stunning and very enjoyable.

The only thing is you'll not be able to enjoy the classic version of the intro theme. In fact, you won't be able to enjoy the intro sequence at all because it doesn't exist. It's no where in the game. I was hoping that you'd be able to see it from the menu with the options to select to view the classic or special edition credits. Unfortunately, they're both just regular test scrolls with the SE version of the theme playing. No classic intro guys, sorry :(. On the upside, the special edition version of the theme is very well done and true to the original. The dancing monkeys are only in the LucasArts logo. The golden guy shoos them away and that's that. It goes straight to the logo and then the menu. And upon starting a new game it shows Guybrush hanging and after some dialogue between he and Elaine it goes straight to Scabb Island.

As far as the opening credits go, demo is the operative word.

I'm still wondering; has there been any official word on a Mac version? Or even a relatively reliable rumor? I would be very willing to wait a little while if they would give word that it's coming, but I'm going to buy the PC version just for the music and voices if it's not.

According to the reviews it's not there, which I can't possibly believe. That's the whole beginning, not to mention the theme tune.

According to 1UP the end credits, plus 'things to do after the game' is gone too. This is utterly ridiculous, they're actually cutting out great things about the game! What are they playing at?

They also botched the bone song, at least on the PS3 version. The vocals are out of sync with the music. Ridiculous!

And I just encountered 2 potentially GAME BREAKING bugs:

1) When you close the coffin on Stan, I can't bring up my inventory to complete the puzzle.

2) When I blow the ship's horn in the place you're supposed to do that, the guy returns immediately and so there is not enough time to do the thing you have to do.

I'm furious right now, especially as they got so much right this time.

Wow. When people say 'game breaking bugs', it usually happens when you do some obscure thing the designers hadn't considered or do something in the wrong order. Not do exactly what you need to do exactly how the designers intend!

And if the Bone Song is f***ed in the PC version too I will be exceptionally pissed off, it's my favourite part (right after the end game 'things to do after the game') in the entire Monkey Island series, if not every game I've ever played. In many ways I'm buying this game just to see that song.

I will not pre-order another Special Edition again if it's been screwed up, and will check reviews and Mojoites' opinions before I consider buying it at all.

Unless they do Indy Infernal Machine of course.

Yeah that voice of Guybrushs mother singing made me cringe and very annoying, I used to think it should have been one low deep voice singing the song in tune.

since theres issues with the ships horn and with Stans, does anyone know if there are issues when taking on Rum Rogers JR in the drinking contest cause thats a quickfire moment where you had to be quick in emptying the mug and filling it with near-grog just want to be aware before I do that bit.

I think there are some over-reactions, to an extent. We've all played this game before - we still own the original. This is just another option. As it is, it happens to be an excellent option that will (for the most part) give you an inordinate amount of pleasure.

I'm sure they'll patch that stuff :(

Playing the PS3 version of the game, until stupid Steam decides to unlock the PC version.

I can't believe they dumped the intro, I'm still holding out hope that it's in the PC version...

Also, while I applaud their efforts to record the MT-32 soundtrack for classic mode, almost all of the music was recorded wrong, with incorrect instruments throughout most of the soundtrack I've heard so far. (about to get the first map piece)

I don't know. I am so angry at the moment. At the missing credits sequence, the bone song and me not being able to progress through the game. And if the end credits thing is true. How could they seem to be getting everything right and then manage to cock up stuff so badly?

I'm not missing something, am I? All I am supposed to do is blow the horn and then he goes off to check and that is supposed to be enough time to do the thing I need to do, right?

EDIT: I managed to do it, but the time window is ludicrously small, you have to start doing the thing before he even leaves.

Archived