Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've managed to do both of those puzzles now, but I'm sure they work differently. In the original, didn't you close the coffin then use the nails on it? This time I had to use the nails on it while it was still open to get it to work. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

I'm not missing something, am I? All I am supposed to do is blow the horn and then he goes off to check and that is supposed to be enough time to do the thing I need to do, right?

EDIT: I managed to do it, but the time window is ludicrously small, you have to start doing the thing before he even leaves.

If LucasArts are reading this (and also on there Facebook page too) they'll hopefully get a fix out ASAP for these issues, this is ridiculous.

Well I must say I feel a teeny bit happy. After getting so much outright abuse for voicing the idea that they might mess something important up, they only went and did.

I know it's obnoxious of me to note, but it seems to me that the only difference between my complaints about the first game (ignoring the timing issues that have been mentioned) is that MI1 is my favourite game ever, whereas MI2 seems to be other people's favourite game.

It's very ****ty when they ruin parts of your favourite game, isn't it? Especially when the potential to get it right was so close.

[/git mode off]

I'm sure they'll patch that stuff :(

Just like they did last time. Oh wait.

In all seriousness, they HAVE to patch these timing issues.

Any opinions on the voices? I don't think I'm ever going to get used to Largo's "Saturday Morning Cartoon Baddie" voice, but how are the others?

Well I must say I feel a teeny bit happy. After getting so much outright abuse for voicing the idea that they might mess something important up, they only went and did.

Ouch! Bad attitude ;)

I'm also finding several instances of music playing the wrong cues at the wrong time or going wrong in other ways, for example:

1) When Largo gets the beard, the Voodoo Theme/Lechuck Mix starts too early, skipping the church organ part that's supposed to start immediately preceeding it.

2) When the cook chase music plays, it stops after a while, leaving it silent until you escape, when the end bit plays.

3) A lot of music not looping properly, in the same way. For example, after a while the inside booty mansion music stops abruptly and then goes back into the muffled version you (incorrectly) hear in the town, which brings us to...

4) Some booty island music is just missing, replaced by a muffled version of the Booty Mansion mardi gras music.

5) Music not synching up properly to other stuff, such as when you use Ash 2 Life, and the mistimed vocals in the bone song.

I guess gameplay videos on youtube will do for now until someone patches it proper, or I can see for myself how bad the damage really is in the gameplay videos. Think I will wait until Telltale gets it on their site, as I'm still not that comfortable with Steam.

I'm one of the people who really cares about the intro, btw. The music and the old drawings of pirates really set the tone for the game. I remember when I was little, even if I had played parts of the game before, the intro drawings combined with the music gave me this incredible piratey feeling. Shame that it seems to be missing. The ending stuff I care less about, even it would have been fun to have.

Edit: When I come to think about it, I still haven't finished the first SE. Maybe I should play that one instead.

The good news is, I just played it to the end and the end credits are intact, complete with medley, but weirdly the little cutscene with Elaine happens out of sync with the music (not the first bit of music synching weirdness, as above.)

The only thing that is missing are the suggestions of productive things to do, but I'm not sure, they might be there if you switch to classic, I didn't check.

These sound issues sound mental. I'll be very interested to see if they affect the PC version too and it's just down to sloppy porting (bearing in mind the PS3 is supposedly a fiddly beast to work with).

Wouldn't be the first time this has happened with a Monkey Island game, though. The PS3 version of TMI is noticeably laggy and has timing issues unlike its butter-smooth PC counterpart.

I'm desperate to play the steam version now to see if these issues persist.

I've finished it now and overall my impression is that they did a good job with most stuff, don't get me wrong. I think the backgrounds are beautiful, the characters are at least better than last time round, the voices are cool and the music, -when it works- sounds amazing. Oh, and the control scheme works splendidly.

If it weren't for those few music issues which mean a lot to me (especially the out of sync song), the missing intro credits and the timing weirdness on a couple of the puzzles I would be -raving- about this unconditionally. So hopefully that puts my complaints into perspective.

I'm desperate to play the steam version now to see if these issues persist.

I've finished it now and overall my impression is that they did a good job with most stuff, don't get me wrong. I think the backgrounds are beautiful, the characters are at least better than last time round, the voices are cool and the music, -when it works- sounds amazing. Oh, and the control scheme works splendidly.

If it weren't for those few music issues which mean a lot to me (especially the out of sync song), the missing intro credits and the timing weirdness on a couple of the puzzles I would be -raving- about this unconditionally. So hopefully that puts my complaints into perspective.

It's nice to hear the overall feeling is positive, but I think there may be other things which you don't consider as important, that are really important to others...? So more complaints might be forthcoming from other users. I am saddened to hear about the shoddiness of the music timing, I hope it's not something that irks me as much as you, but you never know. (For me: I cannot stand poor voice acting, I'm very sensitive to it, so I hope it doesn't become a major complaint for me.)

It hasn't changed for me...? (It says it will unlock in 6 hours.) Are you sure?

Just completed 360 version and got all 12 achievements, gonna go through it again to listen to all the commentary tracks can't wait to hear it.

EDIT: Actually I may listen to the commentary on Steam as I'm not as fussed for the achievements on there and mouse is much better then controller anyday

The only thing is you'll not be able to enjoy the classic version of the intro theme. In fact, you won't be able to enjoy the intro sequence at all because it doesn't exist. It's no where in the game. I was hoping that you'd be able to see it from the menu with the options to select to view the classic or special edition credits. Unfortunately, they're both just regular test scrolls with the SE version of the theme playing. No classic intro guys, sorry :(. On the upside, the special edition version of the theme is very well done and true to the original. The dancing monkeys are only in the LucasArts logo. The golden guy shoos them away and that's that. It goes straight to the logo and then the menu. And upon starting a new game it shows Guybrush hanging and after some dialogue between he and Elaine it goes straight to Scabb Island.

****, this ****ing sucks. I'll still be buying the game Friday evening when I will first have the chance, but does that mean the whole opening credit sequence is just wiped? All the little canvas things and opening pictures weren't redone? Just scrapped? Shooing monkeys be damned, the credits were important!

According to 1UP the end credits, plus 'things to do after the game' is gone too. This is utterly ridiculous, they're actually cutting out great things about the game! What are they playing at?

They also botched the bone song, at least on the PS3 version. The vocals are out of sync with the music. Ridiculous!

Damn it ****bro Craig Derrick and whoever else! Too busy posing and looking cool to just get the **** right.

This is what sucks. I don't know why such incompetence. I swear they either have QA Testers snoozing through the game or they are just not QA Testing at all. I just don't know how this stuff gets through, especially required tasks to complete the game.

In all seriousness, they HAVE to patch these timing issues.

They still haven't patched or updated the PS3 version of the first remake that has the semi-game stopping bug as well. You can get around it after a while, but on first glance, it almost seems like you have to start over.

I let them know about this on Facebook, still no patch.

Hmm, yes. Well, it's tomorrow for me... wonder if Steam's taking that into account? Still, not bloody earlier enough. I wanted to play the damn thing today.

It doesn't really matter one way or the other. At the end of the day (no pun intended) we're all waiting the same amount of time until it comes out.

Archived