Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

The Bone song is up on youtube, I see.

Haha, someone really needs to fix this. If the mother's voice wasn't irritating enough, having it out of synch just makes it so much worse! If someone's planning on combining the voices with the music track to fix the synch problem, please put her a bit back in the mix, will ye? :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind the skeleton song lagging behind the music... it actually seems to fit the scene. They're skeletons, and, more than that, they're doddering old parents, so their sense of timing is bound to be bad.

I don't mind the skeleton song lagging behind the music... it actually seems to fit the scene. They're skeletons, and, more than that, they're doddering old parents, so their sense of timing is bound to be bad.

Haha. I approve of this post.

I dunno, I think it sounds really, really sloppy, and in the original, the text appeared precisely synced to the music. If they want to continue harping on about being true to the original, I would've thought they'd actually get round to doing it.

All in all, LucasArts is lucky that I'm prepared to pay a few bucks for the concept art and commentary. Sounds like the game itself is not finished, as always with modern LucasArts, and hell will have frozen over before we see a patch for any of it. They don't care. They clearly didn't even play it.

It looks like the pauses between different sections of the dialogue in the song are a fraction of a second too long, if that makes sense. I hope it can somehow be fixed, because it is a bit jarring. Other than that, I'm loving the game so far, having just arrived on Booty Island.

The problem with patching is they've got like five platforms to do it on, so the QA process would be pretty long and expensive. Instead of just moaning about it on forums though, if you want a hope in hell of them being fixed you should actually email LucasArts or something — then if a patch is eventually released (and there'd likely only be one due to the expense) your concerns may be resolved.

Possibly it was just renamed to Phatt Island once Governor Phatt rose to power ;)

By the way, the pure "Whistle"-track, than ran during the "you could go an wash your car" post credits is included as well... strange, that those lines are still missing from the game.

That track DOES play in the game--it's during the (very long) credits at the end.

Did anyone notice that this is the second time they added a Grim Fandango reference in to the game that wasn't there before? Could this be a subtle hint? I hope so :D

I think it's simply due to the fact that they don't have the rights to Sam & Max anymore, so they changed the cameos with ones they have the rights to.

I think it's simply due to the fact that they don't have the rights to Sam & Max anymore, so they changed the cameos with ones they have the rights to.

Yep, that'll be the reason, but it always seemed odd to me. Surely if someone said to Purcell 'can we use sam and max in the updated backgrounds' he'd just say 'Yeah, sure.'

Mh, I thought it only played during those "waste of time"-lines.

Sorry, I meant that it plays during the SE version credits. In the original game, the credits are much shorter, so the "Whistle" theme only begins once the list of "things to do" starts up.

I've just been looking and listening to all of the music in its extracted form, and it really is fantastic what Jesse Harlin has done, it's just a shame that in a few places it was implemented a little poorly. As a sountrack to listen to, it's amazing. Someone with more time on their hands than me and a good knowledge of the soundtrack needs to put this stuff together ;)

HOW I EXTRACT FILES?

One of the early backgrounds, an unused nighttime version of the kitchen in Elaine's mansion, bears the label "Marley's Kitchen - Crooked Is."

An unusual name. But, all of the daytime Booty Island backgrounds are clearly labeled Booty Island.

So, it appears that early on in the process of designing MI2, Booty Island was known as Crooked Island, and it was always nighttime there, like on Scabb, or Melee Island from MI1.

Then the island was switched to daytime and renamed from Crooked to Booty.

Is there any chance that "Crooked Island" was only referring to the little island that Elaine's mansion itself is on?

200px-BootyIsland-Map.gif

It seems like a strong possibility. And it would be a little unnecessary to have a separate name, so it would make sense that they dropped it. Unless the rest of the nighttime backgrounds reference "Crooked Island" as well?

The problem with patching is they've got like five platforms to do it on, so the QA process would be pretty long and expensive.

This is entirely LucasArts' problem, and not that of customers. Besides, QA is something that hasn't featured in LucasArts products for ages. I assume Craig Derreck was too busy giving drab interviews to get round to playing his new game.

Instead of just moaning about it on forums though, if you want a hope in hell of them being fixed you should actually email LucasArts or something — then if a patch is eventually released (and there'd likely only be one due to the expense) your concerns may be resolved.

I'm pretty convinced that the forums are the way to go! Emailing LucasArts is even more optimistic than emailing FIFA. They really don't care, I can assure you. Perhaps someone from over there is reading this, but even so, there won't be a patch. Not in this lifetime. If there is, I'll eat my keyboard.

Is there any chance that "Crooked Island" was only referring to the little island that Elaine's mansion itself is on?

200px-BootyIsland-Map.gif

It seems like a strong possibility. And it would be a little unnecessary to have a separate name, so it would make sense that they dropped it. Unless the rest of the nighttime backgrounds reference "Crooked Island" as well?

It's indeed possible, but frankly, it's not very likely, at least in my opinion. And I have evidence to back it up.

The "Crooked Island" label, found on the early nighttime background for Elaine's kitchen. is clearly in Peter Chan's handwriting. Chan also definitely labeled two of his later Booty Island drawings, ones that did get used in the game, with the word "Booty". Unfortunately for the question at hand, these two happen to be places on the Booty Island mainland (the Ville de la Booty Main Street, and the cliffside).

No other background labels in Chan's hand exist that could definitively resolve the issue (for instance, he left the island name off his revised daytime drawing of the kitchen). Also, Sean Turner did a bunch of Booty Island backgrounds (early and late), but he wasn't in the habit of putting the island name on them.

More interestingly, most of the backgrounds that were used in the game have another legend, written in a different hand, indicating where they're placed in the game. The early, unused nighttime Crooked/Booty Island backgrounds are missing this legend, though.

However, the identifying legend for two of the later daytime backgrounds of Elaine's mansion (the final kitchen design, and the rear exterior of the mansion) does clearly say "Booty" in both cases.

Now, these labels were pretty obviously done at the same time as the game was in production. They refer to Captain Dread by his initial spelling of "Captain Dred," for instance. Also, the labels refer to the rooms by their actual in-game filenames, which today can be found only by cracking open the resource files. So these second labels must have been written during production. Which should settle the issue.

So, based on that latter factoid, I'd judge that the WHOLE ISLAND was at first Crooked, before it became Booty.

Personally, I don't think the designers ever conceived of Elaine's mansion inlet as a separate island from Booty. It makes much more sense if they just changed the name of the entire thing.

Actually, a LOT of name changes happened during production of MI2. Scabb Island was originally spelled "Scab Island", and (as I noted above) Captain Dread was "Captain Dred." Plus, the drawing of LeChuck's office in his Fortress was originally labeled "El Carlo's office." (El Carlo? An early name for Largo, I'd guess.) It'd be logical to conclude that this was simply another such name change, in this case from Crooked to Booty.

So, I finally found the time to finish the special edition. I've been trying not to comment on it too much before I actually had the chance to experience it.

I don't think anyone of us is too happy with the omission of the intro and things like that so that's hardly worth mentioning. After I got over that, I have to say that the game really is beautiful and sounds just great for the most part. Even iMuse works... almost great. The interface probably works better than the original with no visible HUD most of the time and easy combining of items and whatnot. I don't think it's possible to do a lot with the items in the inventory though... It seems that you can only look and use each item even if other commands give unique responses like trying to open the telescope.

Sure there's lot to nitpick, but I think that's been done a lot already. It's just a shame that with a few changes to the game, it could've almost been THE version of Monkey Island 2 to play. Well, it should be patched quite a lot actually for that feat. All the timing puzzles are so off that I never managed to spray LeChuck with the root beer. Is that even possible in this version?

By the way, didn't someone say that they were going to make the monkey wrench-puzzle easier? I didn't notice anything there aside from the hint system.

Archived