Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

It's just a shame that with a few changes to the game, it could've almost been THE version of Monkey Island 2 to play.

My sentiments exactly. It SHOULD be the definitive version, but thanks to sloppiness, something which the original is completely devoid of, it ends up being just "another" version. Wasted opportunity, especially when there are guys like Jesse Harlin who do pretty damn good work, ruined by others who clearly have true understanding of the importance of various ingredients that made the original great.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone has pointed out that it's impossible to GIVE many items to other characters in the SE... but you CAN do it in the old version AND hear the dialogue you would have missed. Very strange.

Example: Try giving Largo's bra to Marty. Then switch and try doing it in the classic version.

I don't think anyone has pointed out that it's impossible to GIVE many items to other characters in the SE... but you CAN do it in the old version AND hear the dialogue you would have missed. Very strange.

Example: Try giving Largo's bra to Marty. Then switch and try doing it in the classic version.

Yeah, that's weird since they seemed to make sure that any unique responses would be accessible with the new streamlined verb coin thingy. This is the same thing like how you can't open the telescope.

I think it's simply due to the fact that they don't have the rights to Sam & Max anymore, so they changed the cameos with ones they have the rights to.

No, this is a brand new cameo. Both Sam & Max cameos in the two special editions were changed to Purple Tentacle. The Grim Fandango references are brand new in each game replacing just ordinary blurry art. And I did actually already mention this reference but no one was really paying attention...

Sure there's lot to nitpick, but I think that's been done a lot already. It's just a shame that with a few changes to the game, it could've almost been THE version of Monkey Island 2 to play. Well, it should be patched quite a lot actually for that feat. All the timing puzzles are so off that I never managed to spray LeChuck with the root beer. Is that even possible in this version?

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people here understand that some of us were planning to use this version to replace our copies of Monkey Island 2. I was planning on putting my Monkey Island Madness CD on Ebay (but keeping the original floppy disk version box of course), but now I guess I need a good classic version around in addition to it.

So it seems if they can't put the classic version in right, what's the point of even including it at all? That was part of the perks.

So it seems if they can't put the classic version in right, what's the point of even including it at all? That was part of the perks.

They should just put in the original files and make them easily accessible (I know you can do this by extracting the files, but do they really need to compress that?). These special editions run really slow on my laptop and it's a pain enough to get into it and THEN switch to classic.

Did anyone notice the original LucasArts logo snuck into LeChuck's fortress?

Yes, and I also noticed they removed it completely from the skull to the left of where the box you come in is at the start of LeChuck's fortress...

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people here understand that some of us were planning to use this version to replace our copies of Monkey Island 2. I was planning on putting my Monkey Island Madness CD on Ebay (but keeping the original floppy disk version box of course), but now I guess I need a good classic version around in addition to it.

You can still extract the original unaltered game files from the PAK file and play it in ScummVM just like SMI:SE. The original game files weren't modified they just changed how the game interprets the data (altering dialogue lines and such). The intro and credit sequences are all there. No worries.

You can still extract the original unaltered game files from the PAK file and play it in ScummVM just like SMI:SE. The original game files weren't modified they just changed how the game interprets the data (altering dialogue lines and such). The intro and credit sequences are all there. No worries.

As I understand it, this time around there HAS been alterations to the main game. Not that it matters, because we all own the original anyway.

Just noticed a funny oversight in the PC version:

If you take Wally's monocle before you start talking to him, then get into the conversation about maps and use the phrase "Actually, I prefer to just stop and ask directions," Wally does a little laughing animation during which the monocle reappears. I guess they never drew that part monocle-free.

This doesn't really mean anything. I just found it amusing.

As I understand it, this time around there HAS been alterations to the main game. Not that it matters, because we all own the original anyway.

The main game is the same. TheJoe mentioned it was the same size as the original files in the thread in the SCUMM forum, and I just checked in ScummVM, and the I feel pretty line is still there. :)

when you shake it, the hint system starts ?

Yeah they never do explain it. But i find that if i hold down one finger anywhere on the screen and drag another finger either top to bottom or bottom to top on the screen it USUALLY works. But i dont know the proper maneuvers for these things. They make it way too complicated. (Why cant they make it an option in the pause menu?)

It's indeed possible, but frankly, it's not very likely, at least in my opinion. And I have evidence to back it up.

The "Crooked Island" label, found on the early nighttime background for Elaine's kitchen. is clearly in Peter Chan's handwriting. Chan also definitely labeled two of his later Booty Island drawings, ones that did get used in the game, with the word "Booty". Unfortunately for the question at hand, these two happen to be places on the Booty Island mainland (the Ville de la Booty Main Street, and the cliffside).

No other background labels in Chan's hand exist that could definitively resolve the issue (for instance, he left the island name off his revised daytime drawing of the kitchen). Also, Sean Turner did a bunch of Booty Island backgrounds (early and late), but he wasn't in the habit of putting the island name on them.

More interestingly, most of the backgrounds that were used in the game have another legend, written in a different hand, indicating where they're placed in the game. The early, unused nighttime Crooked/Booty Island backgrounds are missing this legend, though.

However, the identifying legend for two of the later daytime backgrounds of Elaine's mansion (the final kitchen design, and the rear exterior of the mansion) does clearly say "Booty" in both cases.

Now, these labels were pretty obviously done at the same time as the game was in production. They refer to Captain Dread by his initial spelling of "Captain Dred," for instance. Also, the labels refer to the rooms by their actual in-game filenames, which today can be found only by cracking open the resource files. So these second labels must have been written during production. Which should settle the issue.

So, based on that latter factoid, I'd judge that the WHOLE ISLAND was at first Crooked, before it became Booty.

Personally, I don't think the designers ever conceived of Elaine's mansion inlet as a separate island from Booty. It makes much more sense if they just changed the name of the entire thing.

Actually, a LOT of name changes happened during production of MI2. Scabb Island was originally spelled "Scab Island", and (as I noted above) Captain Dread was "Captain Dred." Plus, the drawing of LeChuck's office in his Fortress was originally labeled "El Carlo's office." (El Carlo? An early name for Largo, I'd guess.) It'd be logical to conclude that this was simply another such name change, in this case from Crooked to Booty.

You're something else, man. ;

Can't wait to get this on the 42-inch TV later. The intro being missing is both surprising and disappointing, but I usually skipped it to be fair so I'm not that bothered — it's not like it was a particularly amazing sequence. Other than that it seems the game is spot on beyond relatively small oversights, so considering I loved the original SE I reckon this will blow my mind. :D

What MusiclyInspired means is while the original MI2 source files are intact, the special edition layers the changed dialogue over the top of them. So for example, when the original MI2 tries to play a certain line of dialogue the Special Edition layer says "Actually, say this instead:".

It's kind of like how ScummVM can do all sorts of things to the original games without touching their original code — it's all on top as an emulation layer.

I'm also finding several instances of music playing the wrong cues at the wrong time or going wrong in other ways, for example:

1) When Largo gets the beard, the Voodoo Theme/Lechuck Mix starts too early, skipping the church organ part that's supposed to start immediately preceeding it.

2) When the cook chase music plays, it stops after a while, leaving it silent until you escape, when the end bit plays.

3) A lot of music not looping properly, in the same way. For example, after a while the inside booty mansion music stops abruptly and then goes back into the muffled version you (incorrectly) hear in the town, which brings us to...

4) Some booty island music is just missing, replaced by a muffled version of the Booty Mansion mardi gras music.

5) Music not synching up properly to other stuff, such as when you use Ash 2 Life, and the mistimed vocals in the bone song.

are there other problems like these ? I've found very annoying the excellent music from booty to be ruined like this :( is this fixable ?

Archived