Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

To fix iMUSE for Xbox:

Copy MI2_MUSIC_IMPLEMENTATION.csv from the PC version into x360\Audio

Unbelievable that LucasArts forgot to. More proof that they just didn't bother playing the game before releasing it.

Thanks to someone on the facebook MI page for coming up with this fix. Can't test it as I can't download any version yet, but sounds like it does the trick for the Xbox folks. This is one of the reasons I still prefer my games in boxes. They HAVE to get it at least 99% right. Digital distribution makes it too easy to patch unfinished things, not that LucasArts could be bothered to patch anything anyway.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry for my stupid question, but wasn't it a woman on the help line in the original game?

Or does it just look like one?

I was actually originally confused if it was supposed to be a woman or not (when it was a woman), just because her name is Chester.

To fix iMUSE for Xbox:

Copy MI2_MUSIC_IMPLEMENTATION.csv from the PC version into x360\Audio

Unbelievable that LucasArts forgot to. More proof that they just didn't bother playing the game before releasing it.

That's pretty embarassing. I guess they'll have to get a patch out soon doing just that, then?

Wow, just found something - I saw a sprite in the Special Edition image files of the big Guybrush (when you're standing on the pier) holding a book. So I went in-game, and you actually have the option of giving the Big Book of Fish to the fisherman. This serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever, so why it's in there, and why they made a unique sprite for it, is beyond me.

Just more proof that this 20 year old game still has a few secrets hidden in it. :D

Wow, just found something - I saw a sprite in the Special Edition image files of the big Guybrush (when you're standing on the pier) holding a book. So I went in-game, and you actually have the option of giving the Big Book of Fish to the fisherman. This serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever, so why it's in there, and why they made a unique sprite for it, is beyond me.

Just more proof that this 20 year old game still has a few secrets hidden in it. :D

Wha??? Has that always been in the game?? No, surely not.

As for the 360 fix... yeah, good luck copying files around on your 360!

You can copy files if you take your XBox hard drive out and plug it into a computer. It's just a regular SATA hard drive.

I found this rather interesting information on the Steam forums:

fun stuff!

Verb Bar – This is an unsupported addition to the PC Version. It's buried away in your settings.ini file. It will work in conjunction with the Context Driven Radial Menu. Moving your mouse to the bottom of the screen will slide out all verbs letting you choose any action as if in classic mode.

1. Once you create a savegame a settings file will be created – NOTE some of these folders/files may be hidden on your system properties.
  2. Vista/Win7 – C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\LucasArts\Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
  3. Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\LucasArts\Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
  4. Open up the Settings.ini file and you will see an entry called “VerbToolbar=0”. If you change that to “1”, this will enable the Verb Toolbar.
  5. Save Changes and reload the game.

Direct Control – The Xbox 360 Version lets users directly control Guybrush with the analog stick. If you plug a 360 controller into your PC, you should be able to control guybrush directly. You can also turn direct control "off" and still play with a 360 gamepad by turning "directcontrol=1" to a zero in the above mentioned settings.ini file.

I love the remake!

Look my montage :) A hidden place in the fortress of death.

iyXSP.jpg

(portuguese interface menu)

It's just Photoshop, guys. Calm down! ;)

The background is from the SE concept art gallery (this particular image is unlocked only at the 100% completion tier). It's some sort of voodoo altar/shrine from LeChuck's Fortress that ended up getting junked. I'd say there was definitely a cut puzzle there, but it's nowhere to be found in the final game.

Quite a fun little mashup, though. What might have been...

There are several other such gems in the art gallery, but I'm hesitant to spoil the surprise.

confirmation please :

regarding ps3 version :

* imuse is working as intended ?

* we can change between old and new arts ?

* is there dev discussions ?

I'll be going to my friend to play mi2 , we are considering to buy it for ps3 rather than pc version ( he has 18 inch monitor while the tv is huge )

thanks

I just got the game yesterday and was horrified that the intro has been cut - simply one of the best things in the original game and one of the best computer game intros ever.

I certainly hope there is a way to get in touch with LEC in order to ask them to make a 1.1 patch or something like that, to return the intro and the "list of stuff to do" back into the game.

confirmation please :

regarding ps3 version :

* imuse is working as intended ?

* we can change between old and new arts ?

* is there dev discussions ?

I'll be going to my friend to play mi2 , we are considering to buy it for ps3 rather than pc version ( he has 18 inch monitor while the tv is huge )

thanks

Yes, yes and yes.

Just played through the SE and really loved it. I don't mind the liberties taken with the special edition, I'm only bothered by the fact that the classic version isn't 100% preserved as should have been the case, whether that be the music, missing intro, lack of vertical scrolling, etc. Losing the intro isn't just about theme song, title card, or setting the game's tone, it's about the great artwork that was scattered throughout it! I imagine a lot of these things were time-related and the game could have used another month or whatever, but, oh well. One thing I noticed is that even with the new and improved inventory and item-interaction system, there are still actions with unique Guybrush responses that can only be performed in classic mode. For example, unless I'm missing something, I could not try to simply "open" the spyglass in my inventory, which results in that great fourth wall line, "This isn't Monkey Island 1."

The tiny alterations to the dialog - which extend to the classic mode's subtitles - were interesting. Most of them were the trademarked references (Nintendo game becoming LucasArts game, Stretchie Strongman becoming Stretchie Muscleman), but did they really remove that "white slavers" line by Guybrush's mom at the end?! Legalities are one thing, but rewriting dialog to make it less offensive (which I can only assume was the rationale)? I do not hold to that - absolutely reprehensible.

Anyway, definitely loved the SE and LEC should be proud of what they accomplished with it - like I've read other people relate, it was like playing the game again for the first time. The new art, new music, and the voice acting (someone extract all the lines where "International House of Mojo" is spoken please) were all absolutely terrific, and the commentary feature, while there wasn't nearly enough of it, was awesome both in concept and execution. (Best anecdote: Bret Barrett holding Tim on the floor, emptying a bottle of water on his face and sending him home pouting.) And I'm still blown away about getting to see those cut LeChuck's Fortress rooms. I'm just going to sit back now and wait for ATM or somebody to compile a page of every last minute discrepancy between the SE and the original game.

Another big discovery I found from listening to the voice clips: there are clips of Rapp Scallion saying "What are you bugging me for? This is easy mode!"

This reveals two things:

1. You could still get the Ash-2-Life and revive him in Easy Mode (Which I never even considered, but am so going to try out now :D)

2. At least some of the dialogue from Easy Mode was recorded by the voice cast!

One thing I noticed is that even with the new and improved inventory and item-interaction system, there are still actions with unique Guybrush responses that can only be performed in classic mode. For example, unless I'm missing something, I could not try to simply "open" the spyglass in my inventory, which results in that great fourth wall line, "This isn't Monkey Island 1.".

You can do it before you pick it up, otherwise use mouse wheel to scroll through all the actions to get the one you want.

However, the one thing I couldn't do is use Root Beer on LeChuck at the end of the game. Even though it says 'Use' from the inventory, when you go to click it on LeChuck it transforms to 'Give' and nothing happens.

The tiny alterations to the dialog - which extend to the classic mode's subtitles - were interesting.
Agreed, especially as they removed Sam & Max from both SE versions but not the classic mode, yet made sure to change the typed text. I just assume that's for people who wanted the voices in the classic mode.

someone extract all the lines where "International House of Mojo" is spoken please
Especially the line by Wally "I want you to go to the International House of Mojo!"

Archived