Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

While playing SoMI:SE, I bumped the voice volume down by 3 or so notches and then compensated overall with the master volume on my PC and/or TV setups to get the voices to "sit" better in the final mix.

I've only played a few minutes of MI2:SE so far, but this method seems to work well for that game as well. I think I may have even bumped the sfx down 1, and the voice down 4, as the music felt a little more quietly mixed for this game.

Yeah I did that at the start too, but you'll see when you get to later parts in the game, the music seems to fade away again, particularly in the underground tunnels. It may also have something to do with the music itself which isn't very powerful. I was disappointed when LeChuck walks onto the Big Tree scene and that classic buildup to his theme was so, so subdued you could hardly make it out.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While playing SoMI:SE, I bumped the voice volume down by 3 or so notches and then compensated overall with the master volume on my PC and/or TV setups to get the voices to "sit" better in the final mix. Afterwards, the NPCs sound more like they're nestled within the game's sound world, instead of overpowering it. Honestly (and this is coming from someone who really likes the music for MI2), the new ambient sfx for the special edtions is one of my favorite parts of the overall soundscape.

I've only played a few minutes of MI2:SE so far, but this method seems to work well for that game as well. I think I may have even bumped the sfx down 1, and the voice down 4, as the music felt a little more quietly mixed for this game.

Yeah this is similar to what I've been doing too. The music definitely felt inadequately balanced when I started playing, so I pushed both the voice and sound effect volumes down by three or four notches — the music then felt of a more correct volume. It's sounded absolutely fantastic to me now it's not getting lost beneath the other audio.

Of course this kind of thing can vary depending on sound systems, but this is definitely a game that needs you to make use of those volume tweaking options that come with just about every game.

Yeah this is similar to what I've been doing too. The music definitely felt inadequately balanced when I started playing, so I pushed both the voice and sound effect volumes down by three or four notches — the music then felt of a more correct volume. I've sounded absolutely fantastic to me now it's not getting lost beneath the other audio.

Of course this kind of thing can vary depending on sound systems, but this is definitely a game that needs you to make use of those volume tweaking options that come with just about every game.

This. You can bump the speech down 3 or 4 notches and still hear it quite easily over the music. If you want to hear the soundtrack raw, though, check out my other thread where I have some links.

I would guess Mark Ferrari still did most of the Secret of Monkey Island backgrounds though, putting it more in common with Loom still. I guess that rests the case of Steve Purcell not doing any background art for Loom as well (unless he remembers he did one).

Great job! :thmbup1:

I had no idea that someone else was responsible for those close-ups. Very interesting! Makes me want to try down these artists!

Monkey Island Adventures message from Facebook:

This is good news...I hope they're reading feedback from these forums as well. What are the main things people would like to see fixed/added (within patchable reason)? In the spirit of ultimately enjoying and being appreciative for the MI2:SE, here's what I can think of from being such a detail oriented fan of the original:

1) Rework inventory interface and/or allow all verb commands to be used in the inventory

2) Classic intro / closing credits

3) Bone song audio synchronization

4) Timing of various music cue events

5) Puzzle, actor animation speed (LeChuck shuffle, spitting contest flags, Stan's coffin puzzle)

6) Allow for vertically scrolling backgrouds (diving sequence, cliffs)

7) Graphic fixes for various jokes and bits in the game (Phatt flies, grave robbing shading, costume blushing, bone song red background blending mode and disabling timing, etc.)

8) Console fixes for iMuse system

9) Classic mode music instrumentation fixes (probably not in the scope of a patch)

10) LucasArts logo splash movie for the PC/Steam release?

11) Guybrush's "Nice ..." jokes (perhaps not in the scope of a patch)

The speed/timing puzzles are the worst offender.

Not sure what Guybrush's "Nice" deal is, I thought it was in the original game like that.

Oooh no to allowing all verbs in the inventory. That would be mostly useless.

This is good news...I hope they're reading feedback from these forums as well. What are the main things people would like to see fixed/added (within patchable reason)? In the spirit of ultimately enjoying and being appreciative for the MI2:SE, here's what I can think of from being such a detail oriented fan of the original:

1) Rework inventory interface and/or allow all verb commands to be used in the inventory

2) Classic intro / closing credits

3) Bone song audio synchronization

4) Timing of various music cue events

5) Puzzle, actor animation speed (LeChuck shuffle, spitting contest flags, Stan's coffin puzzle)

6) Allow for vertically scrolling backgrouds (diving sequence, cliffs)

7) Graphic fixes for various jokes and bits in the game (Phatt flies, grave robbing shading, costume blushing, bone song red background blending mode and disabling timing, etc.)

8) Console fixes for iMuse system

9) Classic mode music instrumentation fixes (probably not in the scope of a patch)

10) LucasArts logo splash movie for the PC/Steam release?

11) Guybrush's "Nice ..." jokes (perhaps not in the scope of a patch)

I completely agree.

The speed/timing puzzles are the worst offender.

Not sure what Guybrush's "Nice" deal is, I thought it was in the original game like that.

Oooh no to allowing all verbs in the inventory. That would be mostly useless.

Maybe for you pheraps, but I enjoy hearing all the possible responses from inventory item interaction that Guybrush/Dominic voices. Currently many of these are only available in classic mode. Even if I didn't, I certainly wouldn't want to limit that possibility for other people - I just simply wouldn't use it in that case.

In the original game, Guybrush would often say the name of whatever object you were looking at, along with "Nice". For example "Nice <object name here>.". When looking at the same items in SE mode, he simply says "Nice".

I can see though why perhaps this was perhaps intentionally excluded due to the tedious and Mad-lib-y nature of the necessary dialogue recording.

I don't think it would have made a difference or been less annoying had Guybrush said "nice sign" or "nice crate" as opposed to just "nice" over and over.

Really what would have been most ideal is if someone just took the time to fill in the dialogue for most of the nices.

This.

I think adding the dialogue would have been a really wonderful treat for the Special Edition release, though it admittedly would have been a lot of work.

I don't think it would have made a difference or been less annoying had Guybrush said "nice sign" or "nice crate" as opposed to just "nice" over and over.

Really what would have been most ideal is if someone just took the time to fill in the dialogue for most of the nices.

Definitely. Although I'm not sure who I'd trust with that task.

There were a lot of original writers working on the remake, weren't there? Plus Ron and his people were there... I'm sure someone could make it work.

Er, I don't think so. Who's "Ron and his people" incidentally? Do you mean the guys who recorded the commentary? If so they weren't around at all (other than to record the commentary).

Er, I don't think so. Who's "Ron and his people" incidentally? Do you mean the guys who recorded the commentary? If so they weren't around at all (other than to record the commentary).

Not exactly the people who did the commentary, but like... writers and such. I thought I read that somewhere, but maybe I'm mistaken.

You're probably thinking of Tales of Monkey Island, which had creative input from Ron Gilbert and was developed by Telltale Games which is comprised of many ex-LucasArts people including Dave Grossman. I too am unaware of any involvement from the classic team other than for the commentary.

You're probably thinking of Tales of Monkey Island, which had creative input from Ron Gilbert and was developed by Telltale Games which is comprised of many ex-LucasArts people including Dave Grossman. I too am unaware of any involvement from the classic team other than for the commentary.

I remember the Tales thing seperately, but you're probably right, I must've got confused. ^^; Sorry 'bout that.

Anywho, even so, I'm sure they had someone intelligent enough to manage it.

Another update on Twitter/Facebook: We're listening to your feedback (which there is no shortage of) and might have some news soon. If you're nice.

The difference between LucasArts PR and Telltale PR:

If you're nice.

Actually, how about doing it right first time?

Have you guys seen the CNN International front page today? On the front page there's an article about retro-game remakes and of course it mentions MI2:SE. It's not big news, but I think it's cool to see MI2:SE getting some mainstream attention.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/16/classic.game.remakes.steinberg/index.html?hpt=C1&fbid=xHM3Xtfzq2y

• 1 month later...
Just read this on official facebook page

iPhone gamers, an update is rolling out now for Monkey Island 2 SE that includes some bug fixes and improvements, and finally, RETINA DISPLAY support for iPhone 4! Get your Monkey on, high-res style!

Same updates that were added to the Steam version from reading the info.

It may also be worth noting that the iPhone version is currently 0.99$

Archived