Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks so awesome.

It would work better in-game (despite the fact that this isn't in-game :p) if it didn't apply to the characters, though - just the backgrounds. It would make it look like less of a filter, if that makes sense. Either way, looks great :D

Hey, talking of the shirt-belt thing, I just noticed that it's shiny in some shots (e.g., in Wally's shop) but not in others (e.g., in the shot where Guybrush is dangling from a rope). Those lighting effects must be really good!

Unless it's simply the case that the sprite is coloured differently for each screen (which is more likely - why would they put a yellow filter over Guybrush in the beach scene where he's standing next to the fire if they could dynamically shade him?)

It's most probably some kind of normal mapping like someone said above. That'd be the most logical route for them to take seeing as they already put together the dynamic sprite shading system in the MI1:SE — it's just now affecting unique parts of the sprite rather than just the entire sprite.

LucasArts didn't add a left and right sprite. Guybrush's strap still flips. It's more noticeable in HD. LucasArts even has a 3D model of Guybrush, how hard is it to flip the camera and generate new sprites? The CMI version of the SCUMM engine had left and right sprites. Why is this new SCUMM engine inferior?

LucasArts can make The Force Unleashed with all this new technology, but they can't program left and right sprites.

I'm liking this all around. Sometimes I hope they are reading our nitpicks on this board before the game ships, because it would help their professionalism overall. Just mentioning things like that to someone in the same studio if you work with them makes a world of difference. The carpenter floating on the sawdust could be fixed in a few minutes just by painting the area of sawdust he's standing in to be darker, to make it fit more with what we were thinking was going on in the original game.

I'm curious to see what the original scanned artwork for Wally's hovel actually looks like now and if it were drawn similar to the concept.

Don't get me wrong - it's an easy mistake to make. Just wanted to point this out to people :p I think that the main reason people got confused is because there's only a very thing layer of dirt above the cement. Also maybe the less solid-wall-looking backdrop had something to do with the confusion (which, to be fair, is more realistic after an explosion)

I think you're wrong. Without actually getting the artist who did so to say conclusively, I'm pretty sure they misinterpreted the original artwork when redrawing it. The fact that they taper so much and lack the right texture seems to say they are roots, withstanding that they aren't brown. Rebars also could be brown or rusty. If they were trying to draw those, they failed.

But there's no way for either of us to prove either way, so I'm just sort of adding this in.

Anyways, things like lack of grit and other stuff doesn't bother me. There's no way to know fully that the original was intent to have a lot of texture since the original concept looks smooth and the screens are so pixelated. So I think that notion could be taken either way for the remake. Their need to create some individual style is much less prominent this time around, which I'm more happy with than anything. There's no reason to make a remake your own unless the thing in which you are remaking was **** in the first place (or at least the general rule which I think seems to work). They seem to be really trying to follow what was going on with the original game besides the Guybrush look, for the most part. So I'm going to be getting this probably the day it comes out... on PSN, possibly...

LucasArts have updated their workshop blog.

http://lucasartsworkshop.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/the-world-of-woodtick/

Featuring locales from Scabb Island, we really wanted to begin giving fans a taste of how much time we were putting in to each backgrounds. Using the original art both in execution as well as inspiration, these scenes have amazing levels of details in them – and quite a few secrets for those die-hard enough to notice. Like Wally’s new maps.

Apparently they'll be showing us Phatt Island next week.

Sorry, I couldn't stop with my edits:

mojoedit.jpg

I just found my new desktop background :D Thanks, man, they look great!

I think that this scene is the only one where I can say categorically that the special edition guys did a better job that Purcell/Chan. And you improved on it. Congratulations! :D

I'm liking this all around. Sometimes I hope they are reading our nitpicks on this board before the game ships, because it would help their professionalism overall.

I can't help but thinking they took notice of the great hair-backlash of '09 :p

I think you're wrong. Without actually getting the artist who did so to say conclusively, I'm pretty sure they misinterpreted the original artwork when redrawing it. The fact that they taper so much and lack the right texture seems to say they are roots, withstanding that they aren't brown. Rebars also could be brown or rusty. If they were trying to draw those, they failed.

I can definitely see what you're saying, but I still disagree. There's a huge flaw in that logic - if the artists knew to separate the dirt from the concrete (which means they knew the context), why on earth would they go ahead and draw roots anyway? And why make them grey? And why coming from the concrete and not the dirt? I think it makes so much more sense to say that they did draw rebars. Poorly, perhaps, but they knew what they were drawing.

LucasArts didn't add a left and right sprite. Guybrush's strap still flips. It's more noticeable in HD.

It still flips, yes, but it's on the other shoulder now. It falls into the side of his coat facing away from the player, rather than the other way around, like the original.

Looks like the flipping difference is just down to which angle they chose to draw him at before flipping the sprite. In both the original and the SE the shirt-belt has the same orientation when Guybrush is facing the camera.

It is a bit weird they didn't put in a mechanism to allow a different sprite for when facing each direction considering the other sprite-related improvements they've done (more frames, lighting), but it is incredible minor. I'd never actually noticed that it merely flips in both the original and the SE.

They weren't in the original, were they? And why would Largo be dumping gold coins into the swamp?

No, but Largo did dump his riches into the swamp in the original game. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Here's an interesting comparison:

Original game

Original artwork

Special Edition

The SE looks very washed out to me, but if I can see that the original artwork wouldn't have worked as well, either. If I can insert LS's versions into the game, I'll be very happy!

In my opinion, the SE's art work looks way more atmospheric than the original artwork in this scene - something I hadn't noticed before.

And once again the fans outdo the creative team :raise:

Anyone know what that crap is that appears to be falling out of Guybrush's pockets?

Sigh. You just like everything darker and less washed out. The ****ing classical version is a click away, Thunderpeel. :/ Come on, man.

And I believe it's gold or the junk he has in his pockets.

Archived