Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

I hate achievements. They add an unnecessary layer to games. They're okay in some games, but the fact that every game includes them is so annoying. People aren't playing games to have fun any more at that point, they're doing it to impress strangers. Which is just weird.

Yeah I hear you. It's sort of like cheerleaders. I can't stand that kind of thing. If you need dancing girls then there's something wrong with the main feature. It's been a few years now but I've never been to a Spurs Arsenal game with cheerleaders.

American razzmatazz ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the new Largo voice was fine, suited the guy well as far as I imagined him. I'd have been equally happy with Dom's old version of Largo though, so I guess I'm not that fussy.

The narrator also seemed a lot more subdued and pleasant than the MI1:SE's. I actually liked pretty much all the voice acting in the MI1:SE apart from that announcer — sounded like a mental case.

Yeah I hear you. It's sort of like cheerleaders. I can't stand that kind of thing. If you need dancing girls then there's something wrong with the main feature. It's been a few years now but I've never been to a Spurs Arsenal game with cheerleaders.

American razzmatazz ;)

Disagree with both if you on this. Done normally and boringly, achievements are just a way if tracking one's progress through the game and perhaps some of the more difficult things to do in it. Done well and they suggest whole new ways to play the game that the player may not have even thought of (see geometry wars 2).

As for the idea of people being encouraged to rush through the game by the 3 hour achievement, this is surprisingly naive. Speed runs are a long gaming tradition going way back, but there are few players who would attempt such a thing on their first run through. People will look at that achievement and think: well, that's one I won't be doing first time round.

Achievements have never taken anything away from my games and occasionally they have added. I also have found them useful for seeing how far someone is through a game if I'm interestef to know. Sure I could live without them, but I've grown to like em... but then again it is hardly surprising to me that the PC elitist crowd would completely miss the point as they so often do.

Surplusgamer I don't disagree with you, and don't look down on console fans at all, they're just not for me. I like my one machine that does everything :) And I can even sleep at night knowing that any titles coming out on console that I might like will probably be emulated on pc sometime in the future anyway. I just like 'em!

It'll take quite a while before you can emulate X360 and PS3 titles, though. :p

Oh for sure. I guess I'm more of a collector than a I-must-have-the-latest-stuff-right-now kinda guy. And it's nice to have my collection all in one place on one machine.

Obviously sometimes it's a real pain in the butt to convert 20 year old amiga disks for example

Yeah, that's what I do. It just kind of annoys me thinking people will experience this game for the first time trying to rush through it :( I hope they take that achievement out :p

I think the 3 hour thing is more for encouraging a second play through, at least I would hope people aren't trying to do that **** on their first play through. Not skipping the conversations alone would double that time..

As for the idea of people being encouraged to rush through the game by the 3 hour achievement, this is surprisingly naive. Speed runs are a long gaming tradition going way back, but there are few players who would attempt such a thing on their first run through. People will look at that achievement and think: well, that's one I won't be doing first time round.

I think speed-runs are more suited to games where you don't do a bunch of talking or watch cutscenes, personally. I did the 45 minute Braid speed-run (I did get some FAQ help on some parts) and it was surprisingly a lot of fun, encouraging me to figure out how to gather the puzzles pieces on the screen in much more efficient ways, mostly highlighting how strong the time mechanic could be when used properly.

I don't think people really get achievements to impress people. They're more designed to entangle the many completionists out there in an eternity of playtime, artifically boosting the longevity of the game.

That's pretty much me in a nutshell. So far I haven't played the type of game that has insane trophies that take tons of time, otherwise I would feel taken advantage of as an addict of sorts.

Once upon a time you'd get a ****ty in-game reward or something for collecting every coin or whatever — now you just get a tacky API-driven pop-up from the 360. This aspect saddens me as gone are the days where doing everything gets you like a whole new world to play.

I also agree with this. The only games I've played so far (on PS3 at least) that give you any kind of award is the two Uncharted games that unlock in game content, art, or movies the more trophies (or medals as they are in game) you get. It's nice to be rewarded outside of just getting more trophies on your profile.

It wasn't high-pitched. He had an American accent. It was gruff' date=' sorta threatening. I would liked it a bit more if Dom had voiced him, but the new guy is OK. :)[/quote']

I always imagined him as Gilbert Gottfried, I haven't seen the clip so... maybe it is him :p But he would have been great in my opinion

For you, not for everybody :)

It didn't feel like my ears were being assaulted, unlike Cobb in the first SE.

I always imagined him as Gilbert Gottfried, I haven't seen the clip so... maybe it is him :p But he would have been great in my opinion

Weird. I also imagined him sounding like Gilbert Gottfried.

I thought the new Largo voice was fine, suited the guy well as far as I imagined him. I'd have been equally happy with Dom's old version of Largo though, so I guess I'm not that fussy.

The narrator also seemed a lot more subdued and pleasant than the MI1:SE's. I actually liked pretty much all the voice acting in the MI1:SE apart from that announcer — sounded like a mental case.

I was all comforted until you said you liked pretty much all the voice casting in MI1 :) For me it was horrible (with some exceptions, like the Storekeeper). Did you even like the guys in the bar?

Wooo! Thanks, The French! I hope I'm not building myself up for a disappointment, but I think this looks fantastic! The smoother motion works really well - I guess they realised that the look of MI1 SE was completely ruined by the jerky animation.

Hah, I was ready to HATE that little sketch with the golden guy, but in the end I kinda liked it. :~

Too bad this guy can't be bothered putting a bit more effort into his videos but never mind! It's good to see these promising little snippets...

Archived