Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't really be bothered to go through 14 pages (especially when it might have been on the telltale forums) but the split second the leak guy goes into the carpenters place... notice the doorway... I believe someone mentioned how it didn't make sense for it to just be sea outside and it looks like they fixed it like the whole roots thing :p

28720_381664118363_78883723363_4031168_7682181_n.jpg

Hmmm. Well they side-stepped what was supposed to be written on those signs by just making them.......... arrows. Hmmm.

Doesn't look anywhere near as spooky as I remember the original version of this screen looking. Far too bright and stage-like. Once again it's lacking in beauty. The quality does seem to vary a bit with these backgrounds :(

99133620100429790screen.jpg

As with the previous one, I'm not comparing it with the original, just taking it on its own merit, and it's just lacking in any real beauty again. So weird that some of the backgrounds have been so great (the Booty Island stuff springs to mind) while some look really soulless, like this one.

What specifically is wrong with it? It's hard for me to put my finger on, but I'd guess it's the lack of atmosphere and style. There's a "cleaness" to it that just feels hollow, and the harsh lighting (just look at the shadow on the floor underneath the bellows -- it doesn't look anything like the shadow cast by a candle) takes away from the atmosphere. But it's probably something else, which I'm unable to articulate.

I'm sure some of you will like it, though.

The original definitely had more of a gritty look to it, and it could be argued they should have gone more in that direction with the SE, but you know... I'm kinda OK with them doing their own thing. Maybe it's because I don't feel like they could out-Purcell-and-Chan Purcell and Chan, or maybe it's just because I want to see something different. Either way, I kind of like what they're doing here.

The one on the left is from the official MI2:SE site and appeared to be his idle stance, if you hang around for a while you'll see it. Unless they mistakenly used the wrong sprite before they've definitely fine-tuned it so he has that more dishevelled look from MI2.

Archived