Home

Monkey Island 2 Remake

SyntheticGerbil

Yeah, me too. I've liked the voice casting so far though, even if I did (inevitably) imagine different voices myself for certain characters.

I didn't know about those new shots on the official site, really good stuff. At first my brain didn't even register the fact that the Booty Island outdoor shot with the cannon guy was the new version, such is the faithfulness.

At the very worst we get an awesomeified version of the MI2 soundtrack for the first time ever which is vastly exciting IMO. :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, me too. I've liked the voice casting so far though, even if I did (inevitably) imagine different voices myself for certain characters.

I didn't know about those new shots on the official site, really good stuff. At first my brain didn't even register the fact that the Booty Island outdoor shot with the cannon guy was the new version, such is the faithfulness.

At the very worst we get an awesomeified version of the MI2 soundtrack for the first time ever which is vastly exciting IMO. :)

What voice acting have we heard? I thought it was only Largo so far? Also, didn't you say you enjoyed the VO work in the first SE? I still can't imagine anyone enjoying some of that stuff (the pirates in the Scumm Bar??).

I can't actually remember the pirates' voices in the SE, but I honestly don't remember at any point thinking "Good lord this sounds ****" while playing the original apart from when the narrator was exploding my face off.

Some good Denny Delk sound samples here he does have a good range for voices.

You may recognize a certain voice and laugh in a couple of these;

Announcer Sample

http://www.ddelk.com/ddelks.mp3

Promo Sample

http://www.ddelk.com/ddelkp.mp3

Character Sample

http://www.ddelk.com/ddelkc.mp3

Narrative Sample

http://www.ddelk.com/ddelkn.mp3

Industrial Sample

http://www.ddelk.com/ddelki.mp3

It's a cartoon.

That's completely besides the point to me. CMI, DOTT and Sam and Max were very definitely "cartoons"... but they all had excellent voice acting, too.

I first played DOTT without sound, and when I got to play it with sound, the voices were GREAT... So it's not just because the SE voices don't match what I imagined, either.

I'm not even saying that all the SE voices were bad, some were wonderful. But some were, in my opinion, incredibly amateurish. I think the point has been made before: It felt like the devs thought - silly voice = funnier

If it's a cartoon, it means it must have ****ty voice directing.

Seriously though, I wasn't all that unhappy with the voice acting in the first SE. I really enjoyed Guybrush, Captain Smirk, the shopkeeper (this was everything I ever wanted in a pissed off shopkeeper), the Voodoo Lady, Carla, Elaine, and the insult pirates, but a lot of other key characters were either off the mark or just badly done like Stan, all of the cannibals except Lemonhead, Toothrot, Cobb, and to some extent LeChuck himself.

But either way, old LucasArts adventures had probably the most professional voice acting available at that time, with either just impeccable direction or some of those actors moving on to more high profile projects. They just made almost everyone else look bad, especially Sierra. SE's voiceacting reminded more of the style in other good but not as good adventure series like Kyrandia, which had a mix of both bad voices and good voices. I prefer having voices over none at all either way though with both Kyrandia and the SE.

It seems like while every voice will not be perfect this time around, the SE team probably at least took note of people's comments. The narrator is a key offender in unnecessary over the top voice acting, and Craig Derrick at least showed he understood people were unhappy with it. It's especially odd to me, because when is there someone reading text for you in a movie? Why do it in a game? It's not like this is often done in games. I don't recall anyone reading out loud the nuclear weapon statistics at the end of Metal Gear Solid.

If it's a cartoon, it means it must have ****ty voice directing.

Seriously though, I wasn't all that unhappy with the voice acting in the first SE. I really enjoyed Guybrush, Captain Smirk, the shopkeeper (this was everything I ever wanted in a pissed off shopkeeper), the Voodoo Lady, Carla, Elaine, and the insult pirates, but a lot of other key characters were either off the mark or just badly done like Stan, all of the cannibals except Lemonhead, Toothrot, Cobb, and to some extent LeChuck himself.

But either way, old LucasArts adventures had probably the most professional voice acting available at that time, with either just impeccable direction or some of those actors moving on to more high profile projects. They just made almost everyone else look bad, especially Sierra. SE's voiceacting reminded more of the style in other good but not as good adventure series like Kyrandia, which had a mix of both bad voices and good voices. I prefer having voices over none at all either way though with both Kyrandia and the SE.

It seems like while every voice will not be perfect this time around, the SE team probably at least took note of people's comments. The narrator is a key offender in unnecessary over the top voice acting, and Craig Derrick at least showed he understood people were unhappy with it. It's especially odd to me, because when is there someone reading text for you in a movie? Why do it in a game? It's not like this is often done in games. I don't recall anyone reading out loud the nuclear weapon statistics at the end of Metal Gear Solid.

Yes, and didn't he SAY "love" when Guybrush turns around for the "you've got love written all over your face" joke? I mean, that just beggars belief.

But for me, I don't think I'll ever be able to play the first SE (or at least listen to it) until I've made my own version. (And when is that ever going to happen?) I was so unhappy with too many of the voices (not all), and they started to eradicate the voices I've grown to love... the ones I imagined. That's the MI that I love and I don't want to lose it, so I guess I have to stay away in order to keep it.

But, MI2:SE looks a lot more promising... and I probably don't love MI2 QUITE as much as MI1, so I think I could handle this new version a little more. I hope so.

Archived