Home

School cancels prom because of lesbian couple

True_Avery

What more is there to say? It's a private school, and they have the right to refuse admissions for whatever reason they want.

I think the point TKA-001 was making was that what's really important is *should* they do it, not *can* they.

------------------------------------------

Personally, I think the Catholic school did the right thing. In the end, the beliefs held and taught at the school would be utterly incompatible with those of the parents, and I can't see a way there could be a positive outcome. Case in point: Web Rider's example in post #19.

they may well have decided there wasn't enough money in the budget.

Enough in their budget for what? The legal battle, they are likely to face for their actions? Or for the cost of the Prom?

1. They did nothing to rid themselves of the legal battle by cancelling the prom, if anything they may have made it worse if the other students decide to retaliate.

2. Don’t know about Proms everywhere, but our prom was paid for by the students (including the hiring a off duty police officer). In the case of my high school the junior class plans and pays for the prom. I know I wasted 6 months of my lunch periods selling M&Ms and still had to beg a few business owners in the community for money to make up the difference. The school only provided the facility and the electricity. We even had to beg teachers to voluntarily chaperone. The main thing the prom taught me was when you are dating someone actually listen to what they are saying before you say “alright.”

If you don't agree with the religion's standpoints, don't go to their institutions...but while you are there, expect that you will be under scrutiny so that their beliefs aren't, for lack of a better word, infringed on.

It's a sad part of life...but just like in things like gay marriage...any church should have a right not to please a gay couple if they don't want to.

Eh, well...of the high schools I went to:

One was a rural high school. Tolerant of sexuality, but you still had to dress to your gender at events though standards were loose.

One was in a ****-hole in the seedy side of Sacramento. I imagine they couldn't care less, but everyone was a little too busy avoiding "shankings" and ass-kickings by the gang members, anyway. So, it didn't really matter b/c so many people were too scared to even show up. Especially white people.

One was in a rather conservative area. A few notches from being military. Mr. Buzzcut stereotype was a general description. I'll let you guess how they treated it, though by law they had to tolerate it to an extent in that they weren't discriminatory so far as the law was concerned (it was a public school afterall).

Not sure where I stand on this. Note that all 3 had alternatives of all kinds. Never went to any of them--had some issues and some bad habits back then.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the judge recognized the violation of rights which was a good thing and should be considered a victory considering this is happening in Mississippi.

Really, I think this is a win-win. The prom will be privately sponsored, the school district gets to play dumb and not have to deal with it, and the judge didn't have to force anyone to do anything at least at the moment. The girl in question I think did what she should have done and stood up for what she believed in. The school district I think is being too conservative but then I'm sure there are entire portions of the United States where this same scenario would play out much the same way.

As far as the Catholic school thing goes...I'm not sure I agree with what they're doing but I understand they have a right to refuse entry to anyone as they are a private institution.

hmm...hadn't thought of that variable...but I would hope that the better part of human nature would show through and an open invitation would be issued to all seniors and juniors or however they choose to format their prom. (i.e. mine was seniors only unless you were an underclassmen invited by a senior.)

As far as the Catholic school thing goes...I'm not sure I agree with what they're doing but I understand they have a right to refuse entry to anyone as they are a private institution.
Regrettably, yes, though I have this funny feeling people wouldn't be as okay with this if people were discriminated against on the basis of disabilities, skin colour, ethnicity or their stance on the eating of meat :¬: .

I'd say the Catholic school was well w/in its rights and also question why anyone would want to send their kids through a system that was fundamentally in disagreement with their chosen lifestyle.
Weasel words noted.

You have a point -- Nemi (of the Norwegian comic with the same name) once said, while discussing the intolerance of the Salvation Army, that she doesn't understand Christians who want to be Christians, because to her they come across as Negroes (her wording) who want to join the Ku Klux Klan.

On the other hand, despite all the archaic stuff the Bible says about homosexuality, I view it as a good cause to try to nudge people people into the 21st century. There were probably lots of coloured kids who didn't want to go to school with the racist whites when Segregation ended, either, but that seems to have worked out just fine.

So you're insinuating that their discretion is in some way racist?
No. I'm saying it's as baseless as racism or sexism.

That it should be against the law because their beliefs simply disagree with it?
Going by the same reasoning, why should it be against the law for a private school to prohibit coloured people from joining?

Regrettably, yes, though I have this funny feeling people wouldn't be as okay with this if people were discriminated against on the basis of disabilities, skin colour, ethnicity or their stance on the eating of meat :¬: .

Weasel words noted.

You have a point -- Nemi (of the Norwegian comic with the same name) once said, while discussing the intolerance of the Salvation Army, that she doesn't understand Christians who want to be Christians, because to her they come across as Negroes (her wording) who want to join the Ku Klux Klan.

On the other hand, despite all the archaic stuff the Bible says about homosexuality, I view it as a good cause to try to nudge people people into the 21st century. There were probably lots of coloured kids who didn't want to go to school with the racist whites when Segregation ended, either, but that seems to have worked out just fine.

snip That aside, your point might have weight had it happened in a public school. Over here, at least, private organizations are still allowed some freedom from state control in choosing who may or may not belong to their group or go to their institutions. Your comic seems a bit off. Perhaps had it been "negroes who want to be negroes" (which still sounds just as silly), the comparison might have been more apt. As to your charge of weasel words......if two people choose to live together, whatever their circumstances, and live a certain way.....it's as much of a lifestyle choice as if someone chose to live alone or be celibate or etc.... So, the phrase was apt and inoffensive. Get back to me when gay kids are segregated from the public school system by govt and not b/c they choose to go to an all-gay high school. ;)

Archived