Home

Dragon Age 2

Pavlos

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've just finished the demo on the 360, and here are some of my thoughts:

• The class and gender selection screen felt like a nice homage to KOTOR.
  • The Mass Effect-style dialogue system was implemented well, if it takes away from the moral ambiguity of the game.
  • While entirely real-time and more stylised, combat felt very much like in Origins.
  • Though certain UI elements and other things felt reminiscent of the Mass Effect series, the game still feels sufficiently different from both that and Origins to do well.

So it's Dragon Effect of the Old Republic?

Downloaded PC demo, I miss the isometric camera already :(

That's what I feared - I doubt I'm going to download the demo, as I'm already predisposed to dislike it based on what I've heard so far.

Yeah, I know, that's not being fair, but I'm not going to waste nearly 2 gigs of bandwidth to play something I'm fairly certain I won't like.

Maybe your computer is just outta date >.>

:rofl: Nope, upgraded it significantly a few weeks ago (core i5 2400 3.1GHz, Asus Ati 5670 1GB DDR5 graphics, 8GB DDR3 RAM...) Trust me dude, everything can work smoothly on this baby, the problem is with Bioware's crappy servers and lack of download mirrors. Someone posted a legitimate torrent link on their forums and I'm trying that now. So far it looks like there won't be any problems with the download and then all that remains is to install and try the friggin' thing out. ;)

EDIT: The torrent link worked and I finally tried out the demo (Yay!). The combat looks pretty awesome, but I can't really say much about anything else, since there isn't much of those other stuff in the demo.

That's what I feared - I doubt I'm going to download the demo, as I'm already predisposed to dislike it based on what I've heard so far.

Yeah, I know, that's not being fair, but I'm not going to waste nearly 2 gigs of bandwidth to play something I'm fairly certain I won't like.

You know, that comment makes no sense whatsoever... If im unsure if i like a game or not i usually download the demo to see if its any good. You can always delete the demo after you play it. You have just decided that you wont like it no matter what and you are afraid you might like it if you try the demo :xp:

You know, that comment makes no sense whatsoever... If im unsure if i like a game or not i usually download the demo to see if its any good. You can always delete the demo after you play it.

As I've said before, I already dislike it, and that may be unfairly prejudiced because I haven't played it, but not only does it look awful, everything they've taken out of this 'sequel' is what I liked so much about Origins...

And seeing as my crappy connection means I won't be able to use the internet for three hours while I download the demo, I'd rather spend those three hours of internet time doing something more interesting.

Sorry if that 'doesn't make sense'.

As I've said before, I already dislike it, and that may be unfairly prejudiced because I haven't played it, but not only does it look awful, everything they've taken out of this 'sequel' is what I liked so much about Origins...

And seeing as my crappy connection means I won't be able to use the internet for three hours while I download the demo, I'd rather spend those three hours of internet time doing something more interesting.

Sorry if that 'doesn't make sense'.

As you are not very enthusiastic about it you could perhaps download in while you sleep?

Indeed. Not all of us live in the land of milk and honey. Some of us get saddled with quotas.

I just finished a run through of the demo. Runs like absolute crap, as has been noted on the official forums. Here's my 2c:

Despite claims to the contrary by devs, the dialogue wheel is as retarded as ME's in that it bears little to no relation to what you actually end up saying. I think the first mod I make will be to replace all the speech "tone" icons with question marks - seems much more appropriate.

The interface is freaking terrible. Can't believe they actually went with that. It always just looked like a placeholder. It must have been designed by the same guy that makes their websites. I had all sorts of issues with buttons not registering clicks properly.

The combat is pretty bleh. Too "actiony" for the style of RPG Origins was, but too clunky for the mass-market hack n' slash they obviously want it to be.

The camera is a PITA. I have no idea why they would take out the isometric viewpoint for the PC.

The combat is pretty bleh. Too "actiony" for the style of RPG Origins was, but too clunky for the mass-market hack n' slash they obviously want it to be.

Exactly my thoughts, it looks like a hack and slash... but it isn't really, it's just mess ,if they are going to do that, at least let me config my gamepad instead of dealing with clunky mouse controls... Major screw-up.

Having now played both 360 and PC version of the demo, I definitely prefer the PC version. I guess I'm just used to it, and I don't like all the radial menus in the 360 version.

As for the dialogue wheel, I personally prefer the wheel rather than lines of text. It's more of a cinematic experience for me. What's the point of voicing the main character if he/she is going to repeat the line of dialogue you just read and selected.

I actually really enjoyed the demo (as a warrior anyway). The warrior animations were great, and to me, the combat feels much improved (it's hard for me to replay DA:O because the combat is such a snoozfest). However, the rogue animations were way too awkward and it seems like mage spell animations got a downgrade (they are all pretty dull).

I'm a little bit upset that the dialogue wheel is basically: Good guy, sarcastic guy, and jerk guy, but whatever, the dialogue was still pretty good.

The graphics look horrible in the screenshots, but I really liked them while playing, the animations and textures look a lot better than Origins and I'm actually warming up to the artstyle. The demo was only programmed for medium and low settings so very high should look nice. The environment was bland, but that was just the starting area, and I don't expect the rest of the game to look like that.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, to me, it looks, feels, and plays like a Dragon Age sequel, the combat is the same but just feels better and the cinematic are much improved; now let's just hope for a good story and some import impact. The game was really reminiscent of KOTOR for me, I can't put my finger on it, but the feeling was just there...

Alright as a self-confessed BioWare Fanboy it may shock some of you that I was thinking about skipping DA2. However after reading my fellow members reviews like ME2 (like that is a bad thing) I decided to give the Demo a try. Like the combat, like the graphs, like the dialogue wheel…. My only fault with it is…

Downloaded PC demo, I miss the isometric camera already :(

My neck already hurts from playing the demo…

I'm getting it, but I hope you can zoom out a little further on the regular game..

Perhaps Astor's monthly internet subscription isn't flatrate - the amount of data he can download might be limited - so I can understand not wanting to waste it on something he isn't thrilled about. ;)

Didnt think of that.

As for the demo, i played it for about an hour and then the freaking piece of s**t decided to crash... I didnt miss the isometric camera, as i only use it to target AOEs and such in DAO, but the "new" dialogue system was stupid as hell, and combat was a total mess with all the jumping around, and wtf, all attacks automatically hit? Thats so freaking lame. Also the configuration tool set all the graphics as low as possible, and when i decided to see if the game lags badly with high graphics it actually started running much more smoothly O,o I kept an open mind throughout the demo but I came to the conclusion that its nowhere near as good as DAO is, and DAO isnt even close to an "amazing" game. I´ll probably wait til this one costs 15 e before getting it, and instead play STALKER Call of Pripyat next, and then finally get into the world of the Witcher.

I personally never used the isometric camera in DA:O and hated it in NWN2; it just strains my eyes and is uncomfortable to look straight at the ground. It's probably because I'm not used to that view (having not played the old isometric games). I would rather see what's ahead of me then have a limited top-down view.

I'm thinking of trying a mage the first time out, seeing that seems to be what is heavily hinted at in the trailers (and I played everything but Mage quite frequently last time). I haven;t played the demo yet - might on Sunday (there's no way in hell my connection could withstand a 2GB download at any thime of the day or night). After that maybe a rogue.

Honestly I'm surprised the download number has continued to go up - I honestly thought after Tuesday's 400000 odd that'd be the biggest proportion. But I suppose the XBox silver thingy people still haven't got it yet...

Not sure, in DA I always played a mage because becoming imersed is slightly easier if you spend 90% of the time controling your PC. Might be a bit more dificult now as it seems like at least the rogue is going to benefit as much from active management as the mage. Guess it'll depend on which companions I end up liking.

Archived