Home

Dragon Age 2

Pavlos

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, in the real world the same caves and beaches rearrange themselves every few years. :xp:

Not what I meant. In the real world, no two caves or beaches are exactly the same, unless you're suggesting that it's literally the same cave/beach every time.

Every time? No, I'm not suggesting that it is literally the same cave every time. Most of the time? No, I'm not suggesting it is the same cave most of the time. I know it is the same cave. As to the man/dwarf/elf made mine/caves, well there are only so many ways you can dig a cave during a certain time period. Pretty sure mines dug in the 1800's look different from those dug in 2000's, but pretty sure those dug in 1800 look pretty similar to those dug in 1805 or 1810 in the same area.

As to beaches I know for a fact there are at least two different beaches layout in DA2. I also know for a fact Hawke visits one of them more than once on different quest. It makes sense at least to me since you take the same path to reach it every time. I'd be more upset if it were different given I've lived most of my entire life within 10 miles of Surfside beach and it has not changed much in 30 some odd years. Beaches do change after major storms (hurricanes), but the only major storm we heard about in DA2 happened when Hawke was journeying to Kirkwall. Surfside Beach change somewhat after Hurricane Alicia in 1983 and did not really change again until Hurricane Ike in 2008.

Yeah, it makes no sense to the story in DA2 to reuse the the same areas over and over. I mean the buildings and landscape around my hometown has change so much over the past 10 years. :rolleyes::xp:

We don't vacuum the carpet, we burn down the house and build a new one when the carpet gets dirty.

This would make sense if the duplicate areas were actually the same in-game location, just at a different time. However, while this is sometimes the case, a lot of the time the duplicates are apparently meant to be two different places.

It was annoying in Mass Effect, though mainly from a gameplay standpoint, since there at least, one could imagine that there was some sort of standardized modular design for buildings that you want to quickly set up on just about any planet. This doesn't really work in a world like Dragon Age's, where you don't have huge automatic assembly plants that can churn out completely identical building sections.

This doesn't really work in a world like Dragon Age's, where you don't have huge automatic assembly plants that can churn out completely identical building sections.

Unless that's what the big steampunk foundry (that you see in the distance in the lower ward) in Kirkwall is used for. :p

• 1 month later...

Just played through the new Legacy DLC on a fresh playthrough.

It to me seems pretty good, lot of good fights for a good legth area.

And the final boss is one of the toughest i've faced in a long time.

I know that its early, but does anyone have the locations for the fortress armor pieces? I only found two of them, and as it is very closely based on the Warden armor we see in the game i want to find the remaining pieces (if there are any that is).

I played through it myself. It was pretty good, though still quite overpriced for three-ish hours worth of play.

As for the armor pieces: the boots are in the carta hideout, gloves are either in the tower base area, or in the area right before that one (I don't remember exactly), the helm is in the area right after the tower base one (the area you go to after you pick a side) and the chestplate is on Corypheus' corpse. Basically, the order in which you are meant to find the pieces is boots->gloves->helm->chestplate, so if you missed one, you know you have to backtrack to try to find it.

So, i'm guessing that its a good idea to save before going up the stairs before the final fight?

Btw, i succeded in finding all pieces of the armor as a mage. I have to say, so far, the armors you find in 'Legacy' look pretty cool.

Stats could be a bit better in places though. :)

Now, to play through as a Rogue, and then a Warrior, again.

Hopefully, i'll remember where all of the blasted pieces are.

I've only played through the game once, as a warrior - didn't see much replay value in it and I wanted to wait for them to fix the bugged quests (among other things) before I considered another go at the game. Having said that, the warrior version of the Armor of the Fortress is better than the Champion armor, both stat-wise and appearance-wise - now my warrior Hawke actually looks like a champion, instead of a mercenary in a silly spiky armor. When I do decide to do another complete playthrough of DA2, I'll probably try the mage.

On a side note, as good as the DA2 Grey Warden armor looks like, I have to wonder whose brilliant idea was to give members of an order called the Grey Wardens blue uniforms. :lol:

• 1 month later...

A little late to this thread, and this game....

And I am sure it has been mentioned here before :rolleyes:

I like big boats and I cannot lie

:lol:

Now, there have been a lot of puns and cheeseball stuff in this game, which I mostly like, but this took the cake for me.

EDIT: Ok, having become a little frustrated with certain aspects of the game, I decided to read through this thread a little more thoroughly. Most of my complaints are voiced here quite well, especially the repetitiveness factor, which to me is worse and less in-world "explainable" than Mass Effect.

My big beef though is this: Yes, this is an RPG. We should want to talk to our party members. Why are they scattered all over the place? Yes, nothing will ever be as cozy as the Ebon Hawk or the Normandy... but where did our little campground go? Oh yeah, we are stuck in a city.... how about rich ol' Hawke ponying up for a place for his homies to chill?

To talk to Fenris, Anders, Varric, Isabele, uh.... anyone, you have to go to that members favorite hang. Long walk to get to Anders - yeah.

Hack'n'slash, ridiculous variance in the difficulties of Boss Battles and in general combat (wow, these Bosses sure can spawn lackey's like nothing I have ever seen)...

If Hawke wasn't funny, I would hate this game. As it is, I cannot imagine playing it again. Pretty sad really.

Didn't this game get rave reviews?

Don't expect another BG2. Don't expect another ME2, for that matter.

Was DA2 nearly as good as the reviewers said it was?

No.

Was it nearly as bad as the vast majority of those who've played it say it is?

No.

Is it worth a single playthrough?

Yes. Maybe. Depends.

Is it worth paying full price for?

No.

IMO, DA2 epitomizes "BioWare+EA", and we can probably expect more of the same in the future.

Meh/10.

Meh/10.

Pretty much, and pretty funny that line.

Actually though, I think that is too generous.

Just finished my singular playthrough. That was an ending?

What was this game about, really? Sure, all the standard moral issues were there, not that your "choices" really made much of a difference, if not the exact opposite of what you hoped...

At times, I like when a developer forces your hand in an RPG, that is real life... it's tough sometimes. In the case of DA2, I feel the authors just wanted to tell a story, and the graphic artists and animators wanted to make a movie. There was one way it was all going to play out, choices be damned. Too on rails to be called a real RPG, IMO.

Just glad I didn't pay full price for this clunker.... next time I will wait a few more years for the bargain bin on anything Dragon Age related.

:ugh:

I have to agree. They all talk about that "cinematic feel", but are taking it way too far in almost every game nowadays. I mean, it's a good thing to have cinematics in a game, but that doesn't mean you should make the majority of the game into one big cinematic.

Another thing that worries me (this one is Bioware-related) is their insistence on what they call an "iconic look" for the party members. I remember seeing Bioware employees' posts that rationalize this by comparing their characters to costumed superheroes and that comic book style they seem to be adopting is what worries me the most. And frankly, in the case of their games and games like theirs, I think making a character who is "out of character" if he/she isn't wearing a specific outfit is simply bad (or lazy) design. IMO, they should focus on making their characters' faces unique, yet "at home" in most types of outfits.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this game, during my playthrough, seemed awful. But then, earlier today, I decided to start a second playthrough, and I don't know, it's like now that i've complained enough, i'm seeing it as a pretty good game. It's more addictive for me than it was, and slightly more fun. I don't know, it's odd, but I'm enjoying my second playthrough more.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived