Home

Monkey Island 2: Wedding Edition

UncleJeet

I just found out about the MI2 remake and thought I'd share something I was pretty proud of last year...

With a little help from Ron and a great big contribution from the ScummC community, I used an edited version of MI2's intro to propose to my wife back in January of '09. (She said yes.) Anyway, I'm glad the special edition hadn't been announced yet, otherwise I'd probably still be trying to hack it!

More details here:

http://coqdiddles.blogspot.com/2009/01/im-mighty-fianc.html

Direct link to the youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=-kh4S8bd0x4

Also, something seems to be wrong with the Mojo's mojo, since I keep getting a server error every time I try and e-mail an admin from the main page. Then again, it might be my horribly uncooperative computer. Sometimes, the universe hates me.

Cheers!

-Kristian

Welcome to the forums, UncleJeet!

Awesome work! I like how it's clever hacking, and the lines are well written too. Fits in nicely to the game actually.

Also, a Monkey Island 2 hax0r AND an Arrested Development fan? Now I want to marry you!

About the error you received when you tried to message someone on Mixnmojo: this is not uncommon. I don't know if you've heard, but we're having major PHP issues. We're working on 13 year old code and it's starting to break down. At the start of the month a lethal virus was let in (presumably from another dimension); we filled in the hole but changing one part of the site breaks other parts. We'll look into the administrator contact issue. In the mean time, you can contact Mojo people by clicking on their name and selecting "Send Private Message." Mojo staff are identifiable by a Voodoo Doll badge under their avatar (as seen under mine).

Haha, the dialogue tree idea disabling the "No" option would have been great. I wish I'd thought of it then!

I'm stoked about the MI2 remake. I hold MI2 up as the pinnacle of the point-and-click adventure style of design. It was non-linear to a point, but crisscrossed enough between sections to tie it all together perfectly. I once tried to map out all of the items and interactions and piece them together in a visual fashion, but quickly gave up as the layers of complexity just got too dense.

As for the proposal, yeah - we're Arrested Development fans. Who isn't?! (If you're not, you should be!) Can't wait for the movie...

I watched the YouTube video of the proposal for the first time in forever, and I'm a little annoyed at how out of synch it is. Must have had something to do with the native video file, which was a pain to capture on my aging Mac. Ah well, such is the way of the interwebs.

I've toyed with the idea of remaking all of the dialogue and somehow still having the game make sense, but that sort of mega project is beyond my time restraints these days - and why tinker with perfection anyway, even if it's for the sake of parody?

Regarding the Mojo's mojo problems, don't sweat it. At my soon-to-be old job (got a new gig recently), our web server is showing its age by way of crashing at the most inopportune times and in the weirdest and most painful ways imaginable. I was just going to send the same info I posted here anyway, so it's no big deal. Now, if I were frantically trying to alert the admins about some apocalyptic scourge that only they could thwart through the power of their own awesome, I might have tried a little harder to get in touch - but it was just me talking about my silly wedding deal, so it's no big.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. It really was fun getting into the files and poking around, and while Ron pointed me in the right direction, I couldn't have done it without a little help from Alban Bedel and the ScummC guys.

-Kristian

Archived