Home

Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge SE: 'Cursed' Edition

Monkey Mania

Greetings fellow MI fans! Unfortunately, the project I was recruited into has fallen apart. It was a Monkey Island fan game headed by SilverWolfPet featuring Maniac Mansion style character control and CMI graphics. You could control Guybrush, Stan, and Murray. Majus was to provide the voice of Guybrush. A majority of the jokes and puzzles were already written as well as a good amount of the plot.

Now I have the opportunity to give a superior Monkey Island game the 'Curse' treatment. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge!

UPDATE1:

Guybrush:

guybrush13.png

Mh, don't you think it would make more sense to do this for MI1 first? After all it would be easier to accomplish (lesser animation frames, lesser actions, lesser characters), plus MI1SE is in much more need of a visual makeover than MI2SE seems to be. And you've already started on that one!

Mh, don't you think it would make more sense to do this for MI1 first? After all it would be easier to accomplish (lesser animation frames, lesser actions, lesser characters), plus MI1SE is in much more need of a visual makeover than MI2SE seems to be. And you've already started on that one!

MI2 better represents CMI's cartoonish nature. SMISE simply didn't allow enough frames in Guybrush's walk animation. It looked awful with CMI Guybrush.

I also believe MI2's backgrounds work better with CMI style characters than SMI's backgrounds.

This would take forever to do.

You could make a whole new original game, and that would be a smaller undertaking!

That would actually take longer.

There's only so much a graphics artist can do.

MI2 better represents CMI's cartoonish nature. SMISE simply didn't allow enough frames in Guybrush's walk animation. It looked awful with CMI Guybrush.

I also believe MI2's backgrounds work better with CMI style characters than SMI's backgrounds.

I don't think that animations with CMI sprites would look awful :p And SMI:SE's backgrounds are a bit based on CMI art style :p

plus MI1SE is in much more need of a visual makeover than MI2SE seems to be

Agree.

Also:

MI2 better represents CMI's cartoonish nature

It's sometimes too cartoonish - imagine your version of guybrush with flying hair when he meets LeChucks :p

SMISE simply didn't allow enough frames in Guybrush's walk animation. It looked awful with CMI Guybrush.

But seriously... you're gonna draw a 22 frame walkcycle for four directions, plus probably just as smooth action animations for him? That's overkill!

I still think a Cursed-edition of MI1SE might make sense (and looks much more manageable to finish it!). And regarding the walkcycle:

mi1.gifmi3.gif

I agree that the CMI-walkcycle looks choppy on that 6-frame-walk. But I think that the second contact-position (where his left leg is fully extended forward) is the problem here.

mi3b.gif

Here I've used the first contact position at the second contact as well, and when ignoring the "flip" of arms and legs, it looks already way smoother and would absolutely work. You only have to draw a contact position based on the first one, with arms and legs reversed. Of course the CMI-walkcycle has some depth to it, which the MI1-sprite doesn't, and it causes some "wiggle". But I think when getting rid of the perspective and fixing the second contact-position, it'll look great. Also I think that in CMI he looks way lankier than he's supposed to be in MI1, so it'd be better if you draw him slightly stiffer... not so much bouncing his head or bending his body. This would help making the walkcycle look less choppy too.

Plus THIS looks gorgeous:

1zog55t.jpg

And I don't think the Cursed-style sprite collides with the background-style at all!

I'm about 1/3 the way done with Guybrush's sideway's walk.

But seriously... you're gonna draw a 22 frame walkcycle for four directions, plus probably just as smooth action animations for him? That's overkill!

Actually, only three, unless LucasArts updated the engine to support 4 (both left and right walkcycles).

I still think a Cursed-edition of MI1SE might make sense (and looks much more manageable to finish it!).

Yes, it would seem that way. I never said I wouldn't finish SMISE Cursed. ;)

I just prefer to work on the better game.

Here I've used the first contact position at the second contact as well, and when ignoring the "flip" of arms and legs, it looks already way smoother and would absolutely work. You only have to draw a contact position based on the first one, with arms and legs reversed. Of course the CMI-walkcycle has some depth to it, which the MI1-sprite doesn't, and it causes some "wiggle". But I think when getting rid of the perspective and fixing the second contact-position, it'll look great. Also I think that in CMI he looks way lankier than he's supposed to be in MI1, so it'd be better if you draw him slightly stiffer... not so much bouncing his head or bending his body. This would help making the walkcycle look less choppy too.

Nice, I'll keep that in mind when I work on SMISE.

Plus THIS looks gorgeous:

And I don't think the Cursed-style sprite collides with the background-style at all!

I never said they did, I just think MI2's backgrounds look better with CMI sprites.

Don't you think it's better to start modding from the first SE game? Is there a chance that when you'll complete SE2:Cursed mod you'll say "Naaah, too old/too bad" about SE1:Cursed? Actually, you don't know how MI2:SE looks in technical terms... :)

I'm still working on the SMI:SE Cursed Edition, from Monkey Mania's work with his permission. It was a pain in the neck for me before, since I didn't have a computer new enough to actually run the game so I could test my changes, and Paint.NET was completely foreign to me. Now I've got a newer computer and I have finally gotten used to Paint.NET, so now I'm working a bit more on it.

Actually, you don't know how MI2:SE looks in technical terms... :)

Good point... the data-files from MI2 might be protected this time... no sprite ripping or replacement...

I'm still working on the SMI:SE Cursed Edition

Are you working on the sprites as well? I have a very cloudy memory of you talking about Cursifying the backgrounds...

Wow this is a lot of work and you're brave to be taking it on! While I have admiration for your effort... um... why? I like MI2 guybrush the way he is, might be better to wait for the SE and fix the LucasArts guybrush so he looks more like the real MI2 guybrush? I don't think I'd ever play a version of MI2 with CMI guybrush.. don't really see the point? What am I missing here...

See, Jenni is still working on SMISE: Cursed Ed. There's nothing to be concerned about.

Wow this is a lot of work and you're brave to be taking it on! While I have admiration for your effort... um... why? I like MI2 guybrush the way he is, might be better to wait for the SE and fix the LucasArts guybrush so he looks more like the real MI2 guybrush? I don't think I'd ever play a version of MI2 with CMI guybrush.. don't really see the point? What am I missing here...

I guess you aren't much of a Curse fan. I can understand that. There are a boat load of people who would love a CMI edition of MI2.

Wait until you see my amazing new HD version of Super Mario Bros. where every graphic is painstakingly replaced with its equivalent from the Super Mario Brothers movie!

I guess you aren't much of a Curse fan. I can understand that. There are a boat load of people who would love a CMI edition of MI2.

Nah I loved Curse! Playing it again right now actually. Just don't get the point of CMI Guybrush in MI2... maybe I'm getting old

Wait until you see my amazing new HD version of Super Mario Bros. where every graphic is painstakingly replaced with its equivalent from the Super Mario Brothers movie!

lol

Good point... the data-files from MI2 might be protected this time... no sprite ripping or replacement...

Are you working on the sprites as well? I have a very cloudy memory of you talking about Cursifying the backgrounds...

Yes. I'm working on the backgrounds and characters. I'm working on getting Monkey Mania's Guybrush in all of the sprite sheets right now. Then I'll move on to Monkey Mania's lookout. The last effort I tried back in December before I got the hang of Paint.NET caused the entire layout of the sprite sheet to get screwed up. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm going to do what Monkey Mania was planning to do and do one scene at a time.

I'm going to Cursify other characters than what Monkey Mania already did too. :) The next scene I'm planning on tackling after this is the Fettuccini Brothers Circus.

lucasarts did a really spectacular job in CMI.the music the backgrounds the cartoon...amazing, it was the best in the series. i hope if they make tales of monkey island like this :(

there was an Italian fan project called : "the darkness of monkey island" it was CMI styled too.

i dunno what happened with it...any one have any idea?

some fan projects:

scrnshot1.png

darknessmonkey51.gif

bottylargo2vb2gu4.jpg

borgotd8.gif

brumori9rz.jpg

Fire_it_up!.PNG

Junkyard.png

autogallery.php?show=screenshots%2FMysterious_water.png

Mysterious_water.png

Chapter1+-+Location+-+Captains+Quarter+-+Color.jpg

and there is a demo for this game:

venditoreombrelli.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello I am new to the forums...

I am a graphic artist my self ı want to make a Monkey island my self with the CMI graphics.....

Would like to find people that can help in this project....

My game will be more like combination of pirates game and CMI ı will add rpg skills to our crews so they will be more usefull....

Archived