1. 1. What did you think of the cast?

• OMGAWESOME111!!!11!
    • Rather nice thanks.
    • Whatever.
    • What the hell is this crap?
    • Yoda!

lucascast_threadtitle.png

It's our first anniversary!

We celebrate with our usual crew: Darth Groovy, Jae Onasi, Rogue Nine, and leXX. Our guest, Scar Da Kookee, returns for our anniversary.

We also have a special appearance from the Mojo podcasters, Gabez and Zaarin (aka s-island on the forum)!

Release date: 25th March 2010

Download page: http://www.lucascast.com

Summary:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Games we're playing:

Darth Groovy: Metal Slug, MLB 10, MAG

Jae: Star Trek Online

Rogue Nine: Team Fortress 2

leXX: Mass Effect 2, and reading

Kookee: Supreme Commander 2, Star Trek Online, Team Fortress 2

Gabez: Psychonauts

Zaarin: Heavy Rain

Things we talked about:

*Activision firing Infinity Ward devs

*Gabez and his Hottie Bottie--a very dangerous adventure!

*TOR news--the Taris trailer

*The Force Unleashed 2 is scheduled for release some time this year. It is being developed by LucasArts' internal team. The planet Hoth has been released as DLC for TFU.

*Rebellion's failure with Aliens vs. Predators 2 may have an impact on any work it was doing on Battlefront 3 for LA.

*We'd like other games from LA, such as JK3, a Republic Commando sequel, Kotor 3, anything besides TFU2....

*Resident Evil 5 gets a brief mention.

*MI2:SE news by Gabez. Other good LucasArts adventure games--Loom, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle.

*Check out Mixnmojo podcast! Episode 9 of their cast was released March 16th.

*Lego games get some hate and some love.

*Command and Conquer 4 will be PC only. Command and Conquer classic pack is available on CommandandConquer.com (courtesy of Kookee). Gabez waxes nostalgic about Red Alert.

*StarWarsPhreak has set up the Lucasforums community on Steam. He's put together some awesome game nights and is looking into playing more Team Fortress 2 along with the Jedi Knight games. Let SWPhreak know how much you'd love to hear him come on LucasCast to talk about it!

*Groovy says thanks. The rest of us blush.

*The Ubisoft DRM authentication scheme requiring constant internet connection is major FAIL.

*Portal 2 has been announced, and apparently will have co-op play, which is creating a lot of excitement.

*Blooper: Command and Conquer?

Gaming News:

*PS3 update made it difficult for some used controllers to work. Darth Groovy recommends if you need new controllers buy them new instead of used.

*Activision fires two of Infinity Ward's devs (maker of COD: MW 2). Game Politics reports the devs are striking back with a lawsuit. (courtesy Darth Groovy)

*Lucasforums had a hilarious poll started by Gabez. Who knew that water bottles could be such a...hot topic?

*Join us for LucasArts Game Nights on Steam! The crew has been playing Team Fortress 2. (courtesy of SWPhreak)

*The Old Republic has released new information about the latest planet to be added, Taris. See the trailer here. (courtesy of Jeff)

*Lord of the Rings Online released Volume 3 update (and their Spring Festival has started).

*Star Trek Online also had an update with a new 'raidisode' called The Borg: Infected. Reports from my fleet (Lotus Fleet) have indicated that it's one heck of a challenge.

* Dragon Age: Awakenings has been released.

*Guild Wars had a major nerf of key skills used in farming.

*Assassins Creed 2 has an idiotic authentication scheme. Game Politics reports that Ubisoft is denying that it's already been cracked.

*News about Kotaku's article on ToMI 2. (courtesy of leXX).

*Playstation 3 had a firmware update that affected controllers (courtesy Darth Groovy).

*GamePolitics.com reports the R18+ discussion is set for some time in April to add this category to game ratings in Australia--this will allow games into Australia that have been previously banned or heavily edited for content.

Firstly, a hearty congrats to all the cast members and those involved behind the scenes - including of course Jae and her helium hand :)

Everything discussed listed in Jae's summary was great, but it's the stuff that isn't listed that is a bit of a worry....

Hot water bottles, Dutch ovens, voyuerism... If you want someone to be relentlessly disgusting and inappropriate, why don't you just have me on :)

I agree with niner comments with regards to letting things go towards irrelevant subject matter. If Gabez and Zaarin weren't podcasters from another section, they would not have allowed to talk so much junk without it being cut.

Ah well, hopefully we will get Jeff, Rhett, Lynk back or SWPhreak on in future. That's worth looking forward to - and we can leave the episode where Lucascast was overrun by the cast of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace behind us ;)

*goes to PM petition SWPhreak*

mtfbwya

Firstly, a hearty congrats to all the cast members and those involved behind the scenes - including of course Jae and her helium hand :)

Everything discussed listed in Jae's summary was great, but it's the stuff that isn't listed that is a bit of a worry....

Hot water bottles, Dutch ovens, voyuerism... If you want someone to be relentlessly disgusting and inappropriate, why don't you just have me on :)

I agree with niner comments with regards to letting things go towards irrelevant subject matter. If Gabez and Zaarin weren't podcasters from another section, they would not have allowed to talk so much junk without it being cut.

Ah well, hopefully we will get Jeff, Rhett, Lynk back or SWPhreak on in future. That's worth looking forward to - and we can leave the episode where Lucascast was overrun by the cast of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace behind us ;)

*goes to PM petition SWPhreak*

mtfbwya

Thanks for your comments Astro!

Rhett has requested to get back in the saddle with us in the near future. His job is kinda putting a kink in that happening right now. Jeff is pretty busy with school, and Lynk has just flat out refused all of our requests. As far as "humor" goes, it's a double edged sword of sorts. Ever since the American film There is Something About Mary came out, humor in the states has drifted from witty and dead pan, to gross out junior high school restroom full blown gross out humor. It has succeeded in films such as Superbad, Borat, and The Hangover. I in fact prefer British humor, and after listening to several Mix n' Mojo podcast, I was very entertained at Gabez's form of deadpan wit. So I was beyond excited to have them on our cast, and since it was our anniversary episode, I decided to let them go nuts and see where the outcome left us. I have to confess that at about 32 mins into Episode 18, I burst into tears laughing. Maybe it's just me, but we are constantly trying new material that will increase our audience base. The obvious solution is to just have some venerable members of LucasArts sit it out with us for an hour or so, while we pummel them with questions about The Old Rebublic, but we would have better luck training a Great White Shark to play fetch than to have that happen at the moment. The fact that we survived a year is a huge milestone considering we get more negative feedback than we bargained for, but please know we are constantly trying new things. We thank you all for your patience and support.

P.S. At this point, we are even considering breaking out of the pg-13 barrier if it will help, as we are dangerously treading on mature material anyways. Mix N' Mojo seems to get away with it why can't we?

P.P.S. Also, I think things are going to pick up for us once TOR and the new Force Unleashed game hits shelves. Other than steam and Monkey Island titles, we are left with little to nothing to work with right now. Goes back to that patience thing....

Thanks again,

Brothers In The Force,

Darth Groovy

Congrats to LucasCast on making it to the one year milestone and best wishes for year 2 of the LucasCast. I do admit to missing Lynk's accent though. :D

@ Astro - surprised you didn't comment on the Ubisoft DRM discussion since you're a hard core AC2 guy. ;)

@ Astro - surprised you didn't comment on the Ubisoft DRM discussion since you're a hard core AC2 guy. ;)

I warbled plenty over at AHTO. Ubi's server crash earnt me the extra levels usually available in the black edition only as freebies, so I can't complain too much!

Patches are out there for our offline friends. People need to move on IMO. I still believe buying the game is important to acknowledge the superb work of the artists and coders who chipped in on that amazing game.

Maybe folks could wait until the price goes down if they want to give ubi less money - but people leeching the entire game to 'stick it to ubi' is wrong - it is exactly such behaviour which caused ubi to react so heavy handedly in the first place.

In the podcast, I remember Groovy saying PC gaming has hit ''an all time low.'' PC games have their niche - and always will. Cost factors proclude it being conmpared to console gaming because the hardware and software enters and exits the market quite differently. Steam stats don't represent the entire market, but are a nice slice of what is happening in the 'enthusiast' quarter- especially since Windows 7 has come out. They definitely do not show a huge drop in consumption. Also not represented are elements such as internet/gaming cafes, which are absolutely huge in Asia/Eastern Europe in particular.

ie. You don't really need to have $3000 up your sleeve to be a pc gamer these days.

The fact that nvidia and ATI still are able to put out $500USD cards speaks volumes for the viability of the PC gaming industry. These aren't corporations and professionals forking out for a quadro for CAD/CS4 - these are cards that are used purely for getting maximum gaming performance.

Copy protection will be an ongoing issue - but will always be an issue for standalone 'blockbuster' SP titles. eg. Crysis, Assasins Creed 1/2 all suffered from this. Devs need to think creatively about making players interested in paying for a product that includes some online verification. Mass Effect 2 did this pretty cleverly IMO - I dont know anyone who didn't get the collectors edition to access the cerberus addons. Kudos to whomever at EA/BioWare came up with that. Ubi seems to working on some extra dimension to the AC series, but as it wasn't ready on launch, they chose to go with their the ruthless approach instead. I'm sure they were quite aware they would ire the community, but were happy to let the overriding superb quality of the game wage the war.

@Groovy, Cast Members/Crew:

Re- "drop the PG-13" -- I'd venture to say that not getting enough content is more related to the fact that the reviews are only limited to what the cast members(all busy adults) have time to play. Wouldnt it be better looking at strategies to help you guys out with extra content - rather than fill the content gaps with dick and bum jokes? The off air banter that must go on between you all will obviously seep through regardless but it shouldn't be at the expense of content surely. The first podcasts included much more on technology and films.. this really has trickled off - again because the limited number of cast members can only see/play/read so much.

There are members like Char and Pavlos (and many others) that contribute alot of gaming stuff which deserves a spot in the cast. Darth Insidious and Liverandbacon just put up a bumper summary list of mods over at outlander, why not include things like that.

I'm sure many of us would be happy to help the LucasCast team with enriching the content. :thmbup1:

I think you guys have earnt having some writing staff now ;)

Keep up the great work!!

mtfbwya

In the podcast, I remember Groovy saying PC gaming has hit ''an all time low.'' PC games have their niche - and always will.
Not exactly. For instance, global sales of PC games increased by 3% in '09; that might not seem like a huge number, but considering that it generated ~$13 billion in sales, that's quite a goo sign for the industry. Indie games and MMOs are also reminding the publishers that more graphically flexible games equate to a greater market share, so I'm sure we'll see more of that in the future.

Not exactly. For instance, global sales of PC games increased by 3% in '09; that might not seem like a huge number, but considering that it generated ~$13 billion in sales, that's quite a goo sign for the industry. Indie games and MMOs are also reminding the publishers that more graphically flexible games equate to a greater market share, so I'm sure we'll see more of that in the future.

Cool find, PastramiX. Considering the global recession/depression in '09, that's actually quite an achievement.

So, would you guys like us to cover films more often? We are all film buffs, however most of us have a tough time getting to the theater these days. We DO like a lot of television shows, but we have discovered that those tastes and programs very from different countries and different regions. Jae and I once went off on a rather lengthy rant about Dog the Bounty Hunter, but that is because Jae and I live pretty close to each other. The rest of you might not know what the hell we are talking about.

We could get back into film though. We love that stuff and would like to bring it back to the cast.

Keep up the great feedback guys, this is some really useful stuff here! :)

Jae and I once went off on a rather lengthy rant about Dog the Bounty Hunter, but that is because Jae and I live pretty close to each other. The rest of you might not know what the hell we are talking about.

A voluptuous mature aged woman like Mrs Bounty Hunter Beth Chapman never escapes Astro's notice :D

When it was announced she was going to have a breast reduction surgery I wore black for a customary 40days and 40nights of mourning :violin:

mtfbwya

Archived