Home

Hothead cancels PAA Episode 3

AlfredJ

Not a real surprise here, but at least it's official now:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/26/penny-arcade-adventures-discontinued-there-wont-be-an-episode/

And on Hothead's own site:

http://www.hotheadgames.com/blog/?p=130

The story will be finished in a book, but I don't think I'm very interested in that. I'm actually not a big fan of Holkins' writing, I just liked the universe they created in the game. Even though it's sad to see another story based game that will never be finished (Bone, Insecticide...) I can completely understand Hothead's side in this, and I think they made the right choice. Episode 1 didn't set the world on fire but it sold well enough, but Episode 2 only reached a third of the sales episode 1 had. There's no way a third episode could have worked commercially.

I hope Hothead has more succes with Deathspank and Swarm (great to see they haven't forgotten that game yet) in the future. I greatly enjoyed the first two episodes. Hopefully EA's marketing will give their sales a bit of a boost. As great as Deathspank looks, I wonder how many people in the real world (aka 'outside Mojo') care for a game like that.

These days so many series get scrapped after the first episode that it almost makes you afraid to try them.

As I decided to release my own game in two parts, I really hope the first one will do well enough and there won't be any problems with delivering the second half.

Even though it's sad to see another story based game that will never be finished (Bone, Insecticide...)

You know, seems like there's not a day goes by where you can't read of some new lawsuit filed against Southpeak. Maybe the publisher will explode and Crackpot can get their game back.

Archived