Home

Grim fandango within 2013? Yes or no?

SithJedi1

Will we see a GF remake before 2013?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will we see a GF remake before 2013?

• Yes, of course!
    • Yes, but maybe not until after 2013..
    • Naw, best to not get our hopes up..
    • No, it wouldn't be any good..
    • I don't f**king care. -.-

Okey people remake ideas are popping into my brain a lot lately and I know you've all thought of it, a Grim Fandango remake.

Now Monkey Island was fun, so why can't GF be the same..? Legal problems? If so, is it possible they can be resolved? I for one would like to see it, would you?

When you say 'remake', are you talking about the MI and MI2 special editions--which is the only way the word makes sense here--or possibly TellTale's Monkey Island continuations? If it's the former, and I really don't see how it could be meant otherwise, there would be no legal issues because LucasArts made both the originals and the SEs. The latter, very stretched, interpretation wouldn't be a problem either considering LEC has already proved they will license their older IP to outside developers.

A GF SE wouldn't be a bad idea provided that higher resolution backgrounds and cutscenes are available. New, higher-poly character models are probably no big deal. And hopefully the original audio was retained. Otherwise they'd have to recreate a lot of stuff, not just the models, and that would be expensive; maybe too expense to justify a SE especially given that the original version wasn't a huge money maker.

Well, I don't think that GF can have a sequel, strictly speaking. Drama and adventure games require conflict, but Manny is in 'heaven' and it wouldn't be very heavenly if there were conflict. But the world of GF has limitless possibilities. Personally, I think it's the perfect setting for hardboiled detective stories. Or gangster stories. Or any type of crime story. Let Manny have his eternal rest.

Well if a sequel was made I would probably buy it, but that's not really what I'm hoping for. I want a remake, something like MISE, but of course we need the original voices and music.. It's perfect, so I don't think nothing should be changed.

Well, I don't think that GF can have a sequel, strictly speaking. Drama and adventure games require conflict, but Manny is in 'heaven' and it wouldn't be very heavenly if there were conflict. But the world of GF has limitless possibilities. Personally, I think it's the perfect setting for hardboiled detective stories. Or gangster stories. Or any type of crime story. Let Manny have his eternal rest.

When I said sequels, I wasn't talking about Manny story, but a sequel on Grim Fandango Universe. Of course I would prefer a remake, but we never know.

Grim Fandango does seem like a likely candidate to me, considering its reputation and the fact that it's almost like Schafer put together the game's controls with a future console release in mind — they'd transition to a gamepad perfectly.

Grim Fandango does seem like a likely candidate to me, considering its reputation and the fact that it's almost like Schafer put together the game's controls with a future console release in mind — they'd transition to a gamepad perfectly.
Excellent point. Even if we don't get a special edition or something from it, I could definitely see them releasing the original version on Steam, plus ports to Xbox Live Arcade, PSN, etc. Of course I'd love to see an updated version over a simple re-release.

Well, we don't know for sure if Manny is in heaven, do we? Last time I saw him he was on a train heading into some dark tunnel. Now, taking into account that we have Chepito humming in the middle of the railway track... that leave us with limitless possibilities, indeed!

Excellent point. Even if we don't get a special edition or something from it, I could definitely see them releasing the original version on Steam, plus ports to Xbox Live Arcade, PSN, etc. Of course I'd love to see an updated version over a simple re-release.

They have already re-released it on LucasArts Classic line.

They have already re-released it on LucasArts Classic line.
I hardly think this would stop them from re-releasing it in the near future, that doesn't appear to be for sale anymore and the game definitely is not available digitally which seems to be their focus with the older titles.

I hardly think this would stop them from re-releasing it in the near future, that doesn't appear to be for sale anymore

It is. But is very expensive. I wanted to buy the Classic line version because I can't play the original on my laptop. But on Amazon it costs (new) £48.98 without delivery price.

I've got the LucasArts Classic version and it's basically just the original + patch. Accordingly it pretty much completely fails to work properly on Windows Vista and 7, with graphical glitches and sound issues galore.

Having a version that not just runs but also runs well (anti-aliasing, good frame rate, support for higher resolutions, less compressed sound, etc) is the primary reason to desire a proper re-release IMO.

Archived