Home

MI2:SE sloppyness like in MI:SE?

LordTrilobite

MI:SE had of unfinished and sloppy graphics spread throughout the game.

Now, I was browsing the MI2:SE site, and noticed this (and made an animated gif out of it):

fatguy.gif

Notice that the animation only has two frames, and the top half has mostly been copy-pasted atop and moved slightly upward. Only the belly is actually different from the first frame. If you look closely you'll also see that the hair is doubled in the second frame where it's pasted atop the old one. Same goes for the sleeve which looks messed up in one frame.

I sure hope this isn't an indicator that this game will also have as much sloppy stuff in it as MI:SE.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is possible that they just haven't added the animation yet? They said it wasn't quite done. Maybe I'm just too optimistic. I still enjoyed the first SE even though the art was... Well, what it was, but everything else about it was great; and this one looks to be even better. Still, that is kind of worrying.

Couldn't it just be that his hair is flying up? That his sleeve is being a sleeve? That the second frame is just a slight adjustment to the first because that's how it was in the original?

Questions to ponder.

And another thing, they probably only show the best art first, like they did with the first SE. The last art to be finished is more likely to be rushed.

Oh don't worry. As good as some of the backgrounds look, I completely trust LucasArts to ruin it. The current crew are yet to show any sort of attention to detail and/or quality control. Why would they start now?

Exactly. Just look at Marty's head, for pete's sake. And just wait until we hear the new OTT "comedy" voices.

I still have some faint hope that the original team had some say in the QC this time around... I'm a sucker I know. And yes, I will be buying this.

Oh, f*ck off.

I think I read somewhere they have to use the exact amount of frames for an animation that the original animation has. It's a technical limitation that enables you to switch instantly between the new and old version of the game.

Exactly. Its a frame by frame remake guys. They advertise it as this. You can push a button, and have it go to the original game, at any time, how would you suppose they let you do this, if a guy snoring has 120 frames of animation in the new one, and 2 in the old one? Without having to reload a whole new game every time?

And another thing, they probably only show the best art first, like they did with the first SE. The last art to be finished is more likely to be rushed.

Yeah, this did happen. I really hope it's not the case again.

That snoring animation is pretty lazy (I know they originally had two frames, but they could have done more with it. They didn't even open and close the guys mouth a bit, which would be a no brainer for someone snoring!), but I find it less offensive than the board on the dock of MI1:SE.

I'm thinking most of the Flash site stuff is remade, but we'll see I guess. I'm trying to be optimistic, but it's very possible the SE team learned almost nothing.

Exactly. Its a frame by frame remake guys. They advertise it as this. You can push a button, and have it go to the original game, at any time, how would you suppose they let you do this, if a guy snoring has 120 frames of animation in the new one, and 2 in the old one? Without having to reload a whole new game every time?

Oh god, 120 frames of snoring. I can feel the pain.

I think I read somewhere they have to use the exact amount of frames for an animation that the original animation has. It's a technical limitation that enables you to switch instantly between the new and old version of the game.

Well that and it's less work. Besides, I don't think this team is any good at animation much, so I'd rather them keep the original frame count instead of this new team trying to wow us with new animations they could possibly come up with, filled to the brim at a full 30 drawings per second. I only think that would be a bigger disaster. Personally, I think the route they took with the frame count is good to do so to save time and keep fans happy, but they could have drawn better frames, made better looking characters, and had someone on the team who understands animation poses to make up for all of that.

Did I mention the art for the Special Editions are all farmed out to Singapore? There's probably a major disconnect going on there.

Did I mention the art for the Special Editions are all farmed out to Singapore? There's probably a major disconnect going on there.

I never thought The Simpsons episodes that were done that way looked too horrible...But then again, I'm not a professional I guess.

Sure I could agree with Gerbil, they could have called for more detailed 2 frame animations. And I was one of the ones arguing with the poll, that I wasnt that excited for MI2SE in the first place. But, I think that like we said, on technical terms, this way makes alot more sense. Also, this whole thread is pretty much the reason game developers stick with 3D.

Its alot easier to fix when your fans start bitching. If we were bitching about how this guy looked in 3d, they would take his 3d model, tilt him a little bit, improve the rigging on the 3d model, and make it look better. If you dont like the way a scene with characters looks in 2D, guess what, call up Buttphukistan, and have them re draw it all again, for the same price or more as the original.

All of us will never be happy, but since Lucas is making some kind of effort, we should probably at least be semi supportive, unless you really want to fight the Battle of Hoth again.

All of us will never be happy, but since Lucas is making some kind of effort, we should probably at least be semi supportive, unless you really want to fight the Battle of Hoth again.

True... but the only effort they've made in the last decade resulted in EMI :mad: and teasing us with various Full Throttle and Sam & Max games and then cancelling them. I do support them but my barrel of support that was filled so richly during the 90s is running very, very low after 10 years of consumption. SMI:SE just added some acid that is eating the remaining drops of real support even faster.

I will buy this thing of course, because we're suckers for anything Monkey Island but without the quality we expect, things are wearing thin. I'd prefer them to just quietly go away than to keep exciting us and not delivering. Telltale has the walk to go with the talk. LucasArts has found a crutch recently but it's still legless.

Sticking with this topic, don't you just hate it when someone gives you a sack full of money but all the notes are kind of crumpled? Heartless bastards. Might as well just kick me in the face.

I would never hate someone who gave me a bag of money.

Sticking with this topic, don't you just hate it when someone gives you a sack full of money but all the notes are kind of crumpled? Heartless bastards. Might as well just kick me in the face.

Yes, you're absolutely right. How could anyone with a different opinion to you have anything valid to say? The SOMI:SE was a huge ****ing turd. From the terrible character art (Guybrush, especially, the one character it is NOT ok to f*ck up) to the hideous voice acting (there were some exceptions, obviously - the store keeper rocked).

If we're going to just ignore each other's opinions I may as well just say to you: You're a mindless idiot who will buy anything made by LucasArts with "Monkey Island" in the title... even if it was a gigantic turd being sold as cake. "Ooh, look at the new Monkey Island turd! It's amazing because it's, you know, Monkey Island! Mmm, it tastes great because it was made by LucasArts! Anyone who doesn't like it is an ungrateful idiot!"

But I wouldn't say that, because your opinion is perfectly valid. So kindly f*ck off with telling everyone else that theirs isn't.

Yes, you're absolutely right. How could anyone with a different opinion to you have anything valid to say? The SOMI:SE was a huge ****ing turd. From the terrible character art (Guybrush, especially, the one character it is NOT ok to f*ck up) to the hideous voice acting (there were some exceptions, obviously - the store keeper rocked).

If we're going to just ignore each other's opinions I may as well just say to you: You're a mindless idiot who will buy anything made by LucasArts with "Monkey Island" in the title... even if it was a gigantic turd being sold as cake. "Ooh, look at the new Monkey Island turd! It's amazing because it's, you know, Monkey Island! Mmm, it tastes great because it was made by LucasArts! Anyone who doesn't like it is an ungrateful idiot!"

But I wouldn't say that, because your opinion is perfectly valid. So kindly f*ck off with telling everyone else that theirs isn't.

wow, when your anger manegment meds wear off, you should really go get a new bottle.

no one actaully said anything crazy in this whole thread, other than talking about what we liked and didnt like in the game. youre the only one in this thread to blow up and sound like a crazy person screaming about being right. why dont you take your own advice and **** off? masturbation can help with stress, and until you get more pills, you need it.

The point is, the game hasn't even come out yet and you're still being insanely cynical about it. It's not like somebody's launched a personal attack against you, for Christ's sake, they've tried to update the game to make it a better experience for you. If it's not good enough for you then fine, don't buy it, but don't act like they've sent you a bloody letter bomb. The original game is still available, it's still intact - a less-than-absolutely-perfect special edition isn't going to change that fact, so grow up and stop being such a baby about it.

The point is, the game hasn't even come out yet and you're still being insanely cynical about it. It's not like somebody's launched a personal attack against you, for Christ's sake, they've tried to update the game to make it a better experience for you. If it's not good enough for you then fine, don't buy it, but don't act like they've sent you a bloody letter bomb. The original game is still available, it's still intact - a less-than-absolutely-perfect special edition isn't going to change that fact, so grow up and stop being such a baby about it.

Yeah!

wow, when your anger manegment meds wear off, you should really go get a new bottle.

no one actaully said anything crazy in this whole thread, other than talking about what we liked and didnt like in the game. youre the only one in this thread to blow up and sound like a crazy person screaming about being right. why dont you take your own advice and **** off? masturbation can help with stress, and until you get more pills, you need it.

Um, did you ignore the bit at where Fealiks told everyone in this thread who wasn't being "positive" (including me) to "f*ck off"? (It's post #7 incase you missed it.)

Please don't jump into the fray, Shmargin, you'll egg Fealiks on and make him feel like the victim (just like the above post illustrates). The only point of my post was to try and get Fealiks to stop telling people who feel legitimately lacking in the confidence in the ability of the development team that they're wrong. (You'll note, if you read carefully, that I only don't Fealiks to do precisely the same thing he told me to do, and never claimed to be "right" about the eventual quality of MI2:SE -- I have no idea how good it will be, but it's irritating to be told to stop having a different opinion.)

Fealiks is perfectly entitled to his opinion that the dev team are the bee's knees, and that MI2:SE is going is pwn (and I hope he's right), but the SOMI:SE and Lucidity have seriously made me (and many others) doubt the dev team's ability. I seriously hope I'm wrong (I've already said I'm definitely going to buy it).

I think you might need to go back and re-read my post through the eyes of calmness, Shmargin (perhaps wearing Yahztee protective goggles, or something).

And Fealiks: I was just irritated by your continued comments about how we're being "ungrateful". I'm entitled to my opinion, and you are to yours. I'm not telling you you're wrong, so please don't tell me I am wrong, or make sarcastic comments insinuating I'm wrong, or just plain telling me to f*ck off. Thanks.

Come on it wasn't that bad, sure the animations could've been alot better (too rigid for my tastes) but maybe the sheer awesomeness of MI2 will rub off on it remake. Hopefully that will make up for the robotic animations.

Um, did you ignore the bit at where Fealiks told everyone in this thread who wasn't being "positive" (including me) to "f*ck off"? (It's post #7 incase you missed it.)

Please don't jump into the fray, Shmargin, you'll egg Fealiks on and make him feel like the victim (just like the above post illustrates). The only point of my post was to try and get Fealiks to stop telling people who feel legitimately lacking in the confidence in the ability of the development team that they're wrong. (You'll note, if you read carefully, that I only don't Fealiks to do precisely the same thing he told me to do, and never claimed to be "right" about the eventual quality of MI2:SE -- I have no idea how good it will be, but it's irritating to be told to stop having a different opinion.)

Fealiks is perfectly entitled to his opinion that the dev team are the bee's knees, and that MI2:SE is going is pwn (and I hope he's right), but the SOMI:SE and Lucidity have seriously made me (and many others) doubt the dev team's ability. I seriously hope I'm wrong (I've already said I'm definitely going to buy it).

I think you might need to go back and re-read my post through the eyes of calmness, Shmargin (perhaps wearing Yahztee protective goggles, or something).

And Fealiks: I was just irritated by your continued comments about how we're being "ungrateful". I'm entitled to my opinion, and you are to yours. I'm not telling you you're wrong, so please don't tell me I am wrong, or make sarcastic comments insinuating I'm wrong, or just plain telling me to f*ck off. Thanks.

To clarify, your opinions aren't wrong and you're fully entitled to them. They are, however, in an irritatingly obnoxious abundance of cynicism and ungratefulness. Good day, sir.

Actually I think this whole thread is useless, and you're all morons since the games not out yet! How about that?

But seriously, nothing matters on the internet, so I think we can all just agree to keep playing ball, and none of us should go home.

Archived