Home

Red Dead Redemption

leXX

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just played some awesome multiplayer. Much lulz was had. I especially liked it when someone drove the stagecoach off a cliff, and when I tried to drive a stagecoach across a railway bridge.

Anyone know how if cash made in multiplayer goes to your single player wallet? I could have sworn I made like 700 bucks the first time I played MP, but just now, I don't think any money transferred into single player.

Game arrived on Thursday, and i've just completed it. I won't give any spoilers, but the ending was a surprise (sort of).

Being obsessed with Westerns for a long time, this has been the best game i've played for a while.

EDIT: Apparently, I haven't actually finished yet.

As a rider IRL, overall I thought the animations were the best i've seen so far in a video game, but only to a point - the walking and trotting animations are damn-near perfect, but the canter/gallop animations still leave a lot to be desired - both horse and rider seem to bounce around far too much.

Yeah, at a gallop, the ride smooths out a lot. At a trot, you bounce a bit, Though in between the full gallop and trot, the ride is often rough. Not to mention that if you ride horses a lot, you can anticipate the movement a lot better.

I always hated the work involved after riding. We had an ornery horse that liked to bite if you put the blanket up too high, and would yank the thing off if you placed it too low. Cap was his name. tried to buck me off once. Sat on his saddle once. "Stole" his oats outta the truck after figuring out how to open the door(smart horse). Once he got used to me, that was the best dang horse I ever had.

so your initial statement still stands then?

Yes, it does - it turned out that I had reached the end.

So, in all, it's the best game i've played for a while. The story was excellent, and manages to capture the spirit of the mix between The Wild Bunch and the Dollars Trilogy that Rockstar seemed to be going for, and the immersion, characters (I liked Marshal Johnson and Mr. West-Dickens the most), and imagery were great.

I know the game isn't heavy on choice during missions, but I already feel like playing through again.

I always hated the work involved after riding. We had an ornery horse that liked to bite if you put the blanket up too high, and would yank the thing off if you placed it too low. Cap was his name. tried to buck me off once. Sat on his saddle once. "Stole" his oats outta the truck after figuring out how to open the door(smart horse). Once he got used to me, that was the best dang horse I ever had.

Sounds like it was worth all the work with him. I just wish I could afford to own and keep one myself, rather than borrow my friends all the time. :lol:

Sounds like it was worth all the work with him. I just wish I could afford to own and keep one myself, rather than borrow my friends all the time. :lol:

Well the keeping is the expensive part. Stables, feed, VET BILLS(ugh!) FAR outweigh the costs of purchasing. Though, the reward is a friend. Having worked on several cattle farms that horse was invaluable. Especially chasing down strays. Incidentally, it's also very good for tracking people. The higher position makes it easier to notice changes in patterns you might otherwise have missed. And when you get a horse that responds well enough to you like Cap was, you can easily work cattle better than with the truck. But cleaning and brushing, and post-ride care are essential. It's just a lot of dang work to take care of a horse.

I played a few hours Sunday and after finishing the tutorial the game does become a pleasure to play. So far I’ve just wandered around hunting and collecting bounties while trying to get a feel for the environment. Only real annoyance came when running from a band of outlaws, after killing a member of their gang for the bounty, I tried to swim across a river on the horse and promptly drowned. I guess that is what you get when you have city folk make a game about the old-west.

Also did not like the option to skin a horse. :(

I tried to swim across a river on the horse and promptly drowned. I guess that is what you get when you have city folk make a game about the old-west.

The lack of swimming did annoy me, even though there's no need for it in the game story wise. Even though there's not much water in the game (after Lake Don Julio and the Mexican Border) it would be nice if you and your steed could both survive.

There is one place where you can cross, between West Elizabeth and New Austin, but it's a very narrow spot.

So I finished the story and am in the process of getting the last few things for the 100%. For the most part it was pretty good. The aiming and cover mechanics, while still a bit ropey, are an improvement over GTA4. The story was enjoyable. As far as the ending goes (massive spoilers obviously)

I was initially surprised at him biting the bullet, so to speak. I had figured on his wife and son getting slaughtered and then the last mission being him going for revenge against the FBI guys. But I guess that would just be a rehash of GTA4's end. The end they went with was pretty logical and I probably should have seen it coming. I was expecting a showdown - just not that outcome. I wondered briefly what they were going to do to pull off the endless free roam after that. A nice touch to go with a grown-up Jack. It's strange they only made the final mission a Stranger mission though. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people miss that altogether and never see the credits roll.

One thing that annoyed the hell out of me was all the psychotic predators. Freaking cougars are the worst. I lost 3 horses to them, including the palomino you get early on that I went through 2/3 of the missions with. :(

The lack of swimming did annoy me
The point of no swimming is to provide barriers between the three areas before they are unlocked, in the classic GTA style of plot progression.

There's a fairly cheap way to knife-fight bears, as you need to do for one of the hunting challenges (and I imagine the exact same trick works for cougars as well). If you go up to the lake in Tall Trees and wait inside the cabin, you'll almost certainly see at some point one of those "random" world events where some poor SOB is being chased by a bear. This has happened for me pretty much every single time I've been up there and waited a couple of minutes. The thing with those events (and you get them elsewhere with wolves and cougars) is that the animals will not aggro on you - they will stay chasing the guy. So shoot and kill any spares (I saw him being chased by 2 once) and then wound the target bear with a rifle to get its HP down (I shot mine once in the leg with the buffalo rifle), as you only need the killing blow to be with a knife. Chase after it and lasso it to "stun" it momentarily, quickly switch to the knife and slash it. You'll only get one swipe before it runs off again, so rinse and repeat until it is dead. As a bonus, you'll also get a reward for helping the guy.

The cougar one isn't too bad - just have a full supply of medicine and save beforehand in case you get "double tapped" or jumped by a second one lurking nearby.

The bear one annoyed the hell out of me. When I managed it the first time all fair and square like (by a combination of circle strafing and running away like a little girl), the game didn't recognise it. I had died a bunch of times trying (pro tip: don't take on two bears at once with a knife), so I gave up and did some other things for a while. Then I stumbled upon the cheap method I posted above quite unintentionally.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you cowboys encountered the character voiced by Wil Wheaton yet?

I really liked the review of this they did on the geek syndicate podcast - and look forward to trying it out when I get a PS3...unless a PC version came out which was originally planned.

mtfbwya

Have any of you cowboys encountered the character voiced by Wil Wheaton yet?

No, do you know which character he is? I knew he was in it from his Twitter, and I was listening out for him.

I really liked the review of this they did on the geek syndicate podcast

Oh, another Geek Syndicate listener, cool. :)

I wish the game had a cheat that lets you acquire the DeLorean from Back to the Future Part III, would be rad as ****

or the flying locomotive from the same film :)

I haven't encountered the will wheaton character myself either, but now that I know he's out there I'll be listening a little better as I roam New Austin.

Archived