Home

Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)

THE CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND: OLD SCHOOL EDITION DEMO

This is a fan-made remake (or demake if you will) of the classic Lucasarts game "The Curse Of Monkey Island", the third installment of the Monkey Island series. The aim of this game is to give fans of the original game an idea of what the game would have been like had Lucasarts made it wih the same version of the SCUMM engine, art and animations as "The Secret of Monkey Island" and "Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge".

This project, that began in May of 2010, is still in the early stages of develompent. It was created using Adventure Game Studio (AGS) and the SCUMM template created by Abstauber (at the AGS forums).

If you would like to help in the development of this project, I am currently looking for:

Background artists

Spriters

MIDI Musicians

If your interested in helping in these or other areas please feel free to contact me via pm or email at the following address:

Jackpumpkinhead@writeme.com.

Thanks for your support and have fun!!!

Demo v. 0.0.1.0 beta

[screenshots]

v0004screen.jpg

v001screensmall.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently "The Curse of Monkey Island: Classic Edition" is on an indefinate hiatus. Though if you would like to continue, translate, or modify this game, it is open to the public. You will find a link to the raw AGS file folder below. I only ask that my name be added to the credits as the originator of the project.

Raw AGS File Folder: CMICE RAW FILES

Demo (Newest)
ZIP Version:
[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35944169/CMICE%20Demo.rar"]Download Here[/url]

From now on all updates to the actual demo will be posted as updates on the first post of this thread

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a good idea, but I have a couple of questions. First, how are you planning on distributing it? You would probably get a C&D from Lucasarts if you tried charging for it. Also, are you planning on remixing the music? It could add a lot to the old school feel if you did, and again, C&D risk if you include the original. You shoudn't include the voicework for the same reason. And finally, what else can I do to help?

If you wanted to go really retro and make the music MIDI-based, you could theoretically reuse some of the music from MI2 seeing as that's where a few of the tracks in the game are from.

And you'll probably get a C&D anyway even if you don't charge for it. LucasFan's Maniac Mansion Deluxe was shut down I believe. I can't remember if his unofficial sequel The New Adventures of Zak McKracken was as well or not.

i have decided to use ags

i found a sweet template that i can use to make the game

pretty much all the hard work is done for me already.

in reply to Aububuh

i am going to leave it up to the player weather they want to here the voices or not

but i am going to make it availible to them if they want to hear it

using midi sound would be awesome but i dont think that i have the time or patients to redo all of the music

so i am just going to us the cd music from the soundtrack

if anyone want to help with anything let me know

anything at all

i am currently trying to upload my Guybrush sprites from SOMI to Spriters Resource now

and i am planning on modding these sprites to look like the Guybrush from COMI

as soon as i get them started i will upload some samples

in the mean time, if anyone out there wants to throw out more ideas that would be great

the replies have already help out a lot and given me things to think about.

I love that Guybrush, but it looks like he still has a bit of his moustache. Just put a skin toned pixel on that spot instead of the hair toned one and he'll be fine. As for the music, I would be willing to redo at least a couple of tracks, and I'm sure there's more people willing to help.

Well, this would be neat if you managed to finish it but I hope you realize what a monstrous task this is.

I would also like to point out that this forum is not exactly the right place for this thread. It would fit better either at the AGS forum or at a Monkey Island forum.

i found some of the music at the scummbar.com in midi format

yes i know how big of a task this is to undertake, thats why i am asking for some help

also im not sure what you are talking about as far as there still being part of the mustache

i think what you are seeing is his mouth maybe

here is what ive got so far

Guybrushsofar.png

it is a mashup of guybrush from MI1 and MI2

hop you all like them

I believe this more accurately represents CMI:

guybrushsofarwithcmiedi.png

guybrushsofarwithcmiedi.png

DO NOT USE THIS THOUGH! The arms still need some work and I didn't fix his collar as well as things such as his head being too tall for his body (it was not intended for this and I plan on making my own body from scratch). It's just a rough test of what it COULD look like :thmbup1:

My version is also a lot more cartoony (like CMI is) so I don't know if you wanted it to look more realistic.

By the way... the backgrounds are gona be pretty hard work unless you save some time by just doing something like:

curseofmonkeyislandguyb.jpg

i was wanting to go for a more realistic look

like SMI and MI2

i just think that the art and graphics for these games were

far more superior

i dont really care for the cartoony look of the newer games

though i do like the TMI versions of the characters

So maybe something more like...

guybrushsofarwithedit3.png

guybrushsofarwithedit3z.png

:thmbup1:

its his nose

Try making the nose or mouth a slightly lighter shade - it does kind of look like he's still got a moustache (other than that, really excellent work!!)

Well in that case he can't all of a sudden be without a beard? :S How about this though?

guybrushsofarwithedit5.png

guybrushsofarwithedit5z.png

How is having a shave a continuity error in the same way that your hair colour changing is? Also, having a pixelized version of the CMI art defies the point of not having it cartoony any more. Don't get me wrong, though, your retro CMI sprite does look really good per se :)

How is having a shave a continuity error in the same way that your hair colour changing is?

Not really sure what your point is... shouldn't you be telling that to the artists on CMI? It's not really MY hair colour changing is it?

Also, having a pixelized version of the CMI art defies the point of not having it cartoony any more. Don't get me wrong, though, your retro CMI sprite does look really good per se :)

You have been following the thread and realise I've changed the second one along, right? After I asked him if he wanted a more realistic look...

My version is also a lot more cartoony (like CMI is) so I don't know if you wanted it to look more realistic.

*sigh*

Archived