Home

Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)

Cool project! You are all creative geniuses.

I would also like to point out that this forum is not exactly the right place for this thread. It would fit better either at the AGS forum or at a Monkey Island forum.

Sssssssh. This forum is more fun.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really sure what your point is... shouldn't you be telling that to the artists on CMI? It's not really MY hair colour changing is it?

You have been following the thread and realise I've changed the second one along, right? After I asked him if he wanted a more realistic look...

*sigh*

Have some humility, don't just start being sarcastic whenever someone calls you out.

Have some humility, don't just start being sarcastic whenever someone calls you out.

Unfortunately, I can't. I just think too highly of myself... and I'd rather not have strangers on the internet tell me to change what makes me, me... but anyways, let's not turn this into an argument eh? :) You've gotta admit that was pretty uncalled for.

Now I'm just waiting for Jackpumpkinhead's response, afterall, this is HIS thread. And I really don't think he wants this to get out of hand and get deleted

Unfortunately, I can't. I just think too highly of myself... and I'd rather not have strangers on the internet tell me to change what makes me, me... but anyways, let's not turn this into an argument eh? :) You've gotta admit that was pretty uncalled for.

Well, I apologise if that's what it seemed like. I didn't say anything about you personally - I actually complimented your picture. Sorry if I made you get the wrong end of the stick

Well, I apologise if that's what it seemed like. I didn't say anything about you personally - I actually complimented your picture. Sorry if I made you get the wrong end of the stick

Well yeah, I just felt a bit offended when you said "don't just start being sarcastic whenever someone calls you out". But nevermind though eh...

Well in that case he can't all of a sudden be without a beard? :S How about this though?

guybrushsofarwithedit5.png

guybrushsofarwithedit5z.png

I love these

would you be willing to help me out with some of the sprites?

And maybe making some side, back and talking heads?

i would like to try to keep the size of my originals though if i can

Well yeah, I just felt a bit offended when you said "don't just start being sarcastic whenever someone calls you out". But nevermind though eh...

To be fair, I was kind of offended when you started being sarcastic. You can't be spiteful to someone and then say "how dare you? this is who I am" when they tell you you're not being nice...

I don't think there's much sheet music for any of the Monkey Island games, but I could probably transcribe some pieces by ear, then give them to you to put into your synthesisers. Where did you get this program, anyway?

i found someone selling and old cd version of it at a computer fair for about ten bucks which is a steal considering theyre selling it for $50 on their website. but the one i got was a very old version of it. (according to the seller)

oh yeah, and thanks :)

Bloodnose Wally

2agkmkk.png

LeChuck

33yl3cm.png

Demon LeChuck

xanqc5.png

holy freakin crap

these are great

i will most definately use these

and i am happy with the Guybrush as well

i am considering using PacDK instead of AGS

though i havent gotten a chance to work with it much yet

thank you everyone for their help and input

i know that with your help i can get this little project done

:thmbup1:

I don't think there's much sheet music for any of the Monkey Island games, but I could probably transcribe some pieces by ear, then give them to you to put into your synthesisers. Where did you get this program, anyway?

You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. All you need to do is play Monkey Island 2 in DOSBox in Roland MT-32 mode (type "monkey2.exe r") and get DOSBox to stream the MIDI data to a MIDI file. There's a shortcut key for it but I don't recall it...

And what's wrong with AGS? It's the perfect candidate for a project like this from where I'm standing...I've never even heard of PAC-DK. I'd be worried about the quality and authenticity of the final product on anything other than AGS. But I've never seen a PAC-DK game either. Maybe if you made a little demo with it?

You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. All you need to do is play Monkey Island 2 in DOSBox in Roland MT-32 mode (type "monkey2.exe r") and get DOSBox to stream the MIDI data to a MIDI file.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. Maybe I'm just not tech savvy enough.

EDIT: Now I know why I didn't think of it, CMI doesn't have MIDI files, it has digital audio. I could still do it with MI2, though.

yeah i have this

i just havent had alot of time to play around with it yet

i am just trying to go with the easiest to use

that is going to get me the results i want

i just need to sit down and mess with ags

i did some playing with PacDK

and it seems to be the easiest to use

but i am not 100% that i can do all that i want with it

i have just been working on the sprites so much that i havent really

been able to do anything on the technical side of it

I love these

would you be willing to help me out with some of the sprites?

I just don't think I'm reliable enough XD It'll never be finished with me helping out. I'm mainly a suggestion guy but I usually make a suggestion and then think "I can do this, so I will". Monkey Mania will do it ;) Won't cha?

I melded the two together.

While it's nice that you attempted to make a compromise between the two I just feel that the only reason I changed it in the first place was the size of the head and how the nose looks etc. So changing that back to the larger style makes mine utterly pointless other than removing some gold on his shoes :/

I really feel as though the thinner Guybrush head shape is the only way to go. The larger MI2 style head just seems to suit a beard better but just doesn't look right without one. It's a really small pixel wide difference but the slightest pixel change really does change everything. I mean if you were to remove a pixel for the eye... he only has one eye, pixels make big differences.

Bloodnose Wally

2agkmkk.png

It would seem to me that most of Wally's original sprites in MI2 have a strong glow on one side of his face due to a lamp on his desk and the low key lighting when he's above the pit. You should probably change the shading on Wally for this CMI version, because it just looks a little odd with such a strong shading on his head.

Demon LeChuck

xanqc5.png

Didn't expect LeChuck to look so good with a simple colour change for his flaming beard :p Should probably do something about his eyebrows though... either remove them, make them flaming, or make them less noticable and more skin toned...

Edit: Also btw, I think Elaine should have the same clothes because she did from MI1 and MI2. Would also save some time on your part :p

Wall... of... text.... :eek:

I really feel as though the thinner Guybrush head shape is the only way to go. The larger MI2 style head just seems to suit a beard better but just doesn't look right without one. It's a really small pixel wide difference but the slightest pixel change really does change everything. I mean if you were to remove a pixel for the eye... he only has one eye, pixels make big differences.

His head as well as his body is one pixel wider. The only reason for this is just continuity. We're to match MI2's style rather than SMI's style. Also, when the sprite is in 320x200, he will be thinner.

While it's nice that Monkey Mania attempted to make a compromise between the two I just feel that the only reason I changed it in the first place was the size of the head and how the nose looks etc. So changing that back to the larger style makes mine utterly pointless other than removing some gold on his shoes :/

Continuity, you may not care about it, but I do.

And as for helping with working on the sprites for the project, I just don't think I'm reliable enough XD It'll never be finished with me helping out. I'm mainly a suggestion guy but I usually make a suggestion and then think "I can do this, so I will". Monkey Mania will do it ;) Won't cha?

Just a pointer, tell people what you like about it before you make a suggestion. ;)

Other suggestions btw, it would seem to me that most of Wally's original sprites in MI2 have a strong glow on one side of his face due a lamp on his desk. You should probably change the shading on Wally for this CMI version, because it just looks a little odd with such a strong shading on his head.

I just used a sprite I found on the internet. Maybe you could be more specific on what changes I should make.

Didn't expect LeChuck to look so good with a simple colour change for his flaming beard :p Should probably do something about his eyebrows though... either remove them, make them flaming, or make them less noticable and more skin toned...

He had no visible eyebrows in CMI, so if they were flaming, I think we would've noticed. The eyebrows give contrast to his glowing eyes. I guess I can make them a dark red or something.

I should have probably used quotes in this post... but I am far too lazy XD

Edit: Also btw, I think Elaine should have the same clothes because she did from MI1 and MI2. Would also save some time on your part :p

Pretty much, but perhaps a color change.

Regarding learning AGS, take these words to heart: if you're not prepared to do all you have to do to learn and program as much as possible, quit now. Game developing (even for a remake, or in this case "demake") is no walk in the park. I've started numerous game projects and all of them fell by the wayside because I just lost interest or other stuff came up. I started with no experience but gradually learned until being a fairly experienced programmer. Don't look for the "easiest" way to do it or the final product won't be any good. Not because of the game engine you're using, but because you're already in the mindest of shirking as much work as you have to to get it done and the final product will suffer.

Generally speaking AGS is the way to go if you want to make a LucasArts-like adventure game. That's just all there is to it. It WILL work for you. You should just suck it up and plow ahead or give up now. Hard words I know, but it'll save you heartache and self-pity later when you give up and it never sees release, or it does get completed and everyone says it sucks because you didn't put enough work in.

To sum up: there is no "easy way" to make a good adventure game. You have to be willing to put everything into it or the outcome will suffer.

Archived