Home

Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)

Wall... of... text.... :eek:

Yeah, I mentioned I should have used quotes, at least it had gaps I guess. I might go back and fix that after this reply. Needless to say, I had just woken up XD

His head as well as his body is one pixel wider. The only reason for this is just continuity. We're to match MI2's style rather than SMI's style. Also, when the sprite is in 320x200, he will be thinner.

Who said we were matching MI2's style? Surely what looks good, looks good... I think my Guybrush's head looks better, and that's why I was so keen to have it changed.

Continuity, you may not care about it, but I do.

If the developers were to make a MI3 a year later than MI2 or something, I'm sure they wouldn't have just stuck with Guybrush's size in MI2 for continuity's sake. It's not as though Guybrush becomes much older from SMI to MI2. It's not like you look at my Guybrush and think, "what, that's not Guybrush, continuity is all wrong". Well you seem to... but I don't :/

Just a pointer, tell people what you like about it before you make a suggestion. ;)

I usually just say what I don't like, people do the same to me. I prefer criticism tbh. Obviously I like what I don't mention needs changing.

I just used a sprite I found on the internet. Maybe you could be more specific on what changes I should make.

Yeah I know you did, but the problem is how it was used in the game. I'll quickly whip up my own version.

2agkmkk2.png

He had no visible eyebrows in CMI, so if they were flaming, I think we would've noticed. The eyebrows give contrast to his glowing eyes. I guess I can make them a dark red or something.

A very dark green perhaps?

Pretty much, but perhaps a color change.

Maybe... but I did like the whole one wardrobe thing

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding learning AGS, take these words to heart: if you're not prepared to do all you have to do to learn and program as much as possible, quit now. Game developing (even for a remake, or in this case "demake") is no walk in the park. I've started numerous game projects and all of them fell by the wayside because I just lost interest or other stuff came up. I started with no experience but gradually learned until being a fairly experienced programmer. Don't look for the "easiest" way to do it or the final product won't be any good. Not because of the game engine you're using, but because you're already in the mindest of shirking as much work as you have to to get it done and the final product will suffer.

Generally speaking AGS is the way to go if you want to make a LucasArts-like adventure game. That's just all there is to it. It WILL work for you. You should just suck it up and plow ahead or give up now. Hard words I know, but it'll save you heartache and self-pity later when you give up and it never sees release, or it does get completed and everyone says it sucks because you didn't put enough work in.

To sum up: there is no "easy way" to make a good adventure game. You have to be willing to put everything into it or the outcome will suffer.

i really appreciate your words here

i think you are 100% right

besides i think that i would have more control and

i/we can do more with AGS than PacDK

so there for i am just going to "suck it up":)

also here is what i have done as far as Guybrush sprites:

tcomiguywc.png

Nice job, Jack! I see you cleaned up the sprite as well as finished a load of animation.

If the developers were to make a MI3 a year later than MI2 or something, I'm sure they wouldn't have just stuck with Guybrush's size in MI2 for continuity's sake. It's not as though Guybrush becomes much older from SMI to MI2. It's not like you look at my Guybrush and think, "what, that's not Guybrush, continuity is all wrong". Well you seem to... but I don't :/

In that case, he shouldn't look like SMI Guybrush either.

2agkmkk2.png

Looks good.

The green brows on LeChuck didn't give enough contrast, so here's red.

2ztd1u8.png

Elaine

m9rbwm.png

Nice mock-up.

Seriously though, one thing we could try to do is focus on making the CMI one-room demo, release that, then build the game from there. That way we have something relatively small and simple to start with, and we could have something presentable before embarking on re-making the whole game. Plus, we already have some of the Guybrush and Wally sprites ready to go, so that part shouldn't be too hard.

Here's the demo I'm talking about.

ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/demos/pc/cursedemo.exe

In that case, he shouldn't look like SMI Guybrush either.

Well we can't go too far from the source material, it's not identical to the SMI Guybrush afterall...

smicmi.png

Mock-up

Ahh yes, that works very well indeed :) I don't know much about AGS, how hard is it to make the sprites shrink as they move further away?

I don't know much about AGS, how hard is it to make the sprites shrink as they move further away?

I only know a little bit of AGS (played around a bit), and sprite scaling is one of the easiest things to do. You basically just draw walkable areas, and define what's the sprite's scale factor at the front and the back end of that area.

Gah, eyebrows!

They're only bad when they're zoomed in that much XD I usually only zoom by 3 times but I did it by 4 times this time because that's what Monkey Mania is doing D: And they're not as prominent as the eyebrows they want to use :p

Mock-up

15ot7ro.png

i like this but...

i think that the backgrounds are a little to cartoony

compared to the sprites

though this is a good idea for just filler until we/i can redo the backgrounds

to make them look more SMI or MI3'ish

Nice mock-up.

Seriously though, one thing we could try to do is focus on making the CMI one-room demo, release that, then build the game from there. That way we have something relatively small and simple to start with, and we could have something presentable before embarking on re-making the whole game. Plus, we already have some of the Guybrush and Wally sprites ready to go, so that part shouldn't be too hard.

Here's the demo I'm talking about.

ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/demos/pc/cursedemo.exe

i havent played this demo

but if it is what i am thinking it is then

this was kinda the plan

i dont know how far i will get with this project

so i am just planning on working little by little to get it done

this is a huge task

but i hope that with help from this forum

i will be able to complete it

i like this but...

i think that the backgrounds are a little to cartoony

compared to the sprites

though this is a good idea for just filler until we/i can redo the backgrounds

to make them look more SMI or MI3'ish

I'll be honest... I just lost all hope for this project :indif:

Make midi versions of the rest of the songs.

I was going to just make digital audio files that vaguely sounded like the original MIDI songs, but I haven't got a clue how to match these. I guess I could just remake them too, or someone could point me in the right direction to something I could use to make this kind of MIDI file.

i could be wrong but i found a windows application that can convert wav files to midi. if you convert the mp3s from the scumm bar to wav then convert them to midi, isn't the music problem solved? (i have a mac so i couldn't test it. just search "wav to midi" in google and you should find it) im also a semi-decent artist so i could give the backgrounds a shot.

Archived