Home

Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This project is really cool, and I like where it's going so far. I think, like the OP, I'm one of the few who was seriously disappointed by the art direction in CMI after being spoiled by Steve Purcell's amazing work in the first two games.

Anyway, one obvious thing that is flattening out this background, making it look too clean, and making it not fit the aesthetic of the old games is the black outlines. CMI's cartoon images had sharp outlines. The painted images in MI2 didn't, really.

01.jpg

See this image? The only place you can make out dark outlines is in really high-contrast areas like the house on the left. And even then, the lines aren't as hard/pixellated as in the background you're working on.

An easy solution would be to lighten the outlines, perhaps just making them a darker shade of the base color of the object they're outlining.

A difficult solution would be to make a beautiful Steve Purcell-level background painting, scan it, scale it, and put it in!

Really nice work - I hope this is okay, but I had a bit of a mess around in photoshop, gave it darker/moodier contrast and darkened to wood.

monkey.jpg

That looks nice! Maybe a bit dark, but the wood actually looks like wood now! Definitely more moody and dramatic as well.

I decided to spruce it up a bit.

fmqcue.png

dpzpcj.png

This looks just a little bit too blurry. And too bland as well. Not enough contrast in the colours and lighting.

Really nice work - I hope this is okay, but I had a bit of a mess around in photoshop, gave it darker/moodier contrast and darkened to wood.

monkey.jpg

this one is great

it is just a little too dark

if i could get a combo of this one and monkey mania's

i will work on it too

Even for a fangame download? It's just not worth the effort and it's not needed. And it'd be less illegal, like I said. Even though the whole thing is illegal, really...there's a lot less chance you'd get shut down if you didn't use them.

its not illegal yet

i am just doing the one room demo for now

and that is free on the lucasarts website

they would be wasting their time. if nothing else i am helping lucasarts

by reinvigorating the fans to want to play the old games and therefore

spending money on the new games. besides its not like they are loosing any money by me making this. they have made all the money there is to be made on CMI. they don't even sell CMI anymore. i could understand them suing me or telling me to stop if i was selling this. but i'm not. its just for fun.

Archived