Home

Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'd advise against posting such a copyright infringing product on a real game developer's forum. They usually frown on that sort of thing.

Ooh, come to think of it, yeah, that's a good point. I remember a similar project to this was closed down immediately after it was posted in the TTG forums. It was like this project, but it was a 2D, 'old-school' version of Launch of the Screaming Narwhal.

• 2 weeks later...

One method you can use to get that MI2 background feel is 'Posterizing' the CMI backgrounds, then adjusting the colours to give it a more saturated, painted feel. It's not perfect, but it's pretty easy to accomplish.

For example:

scummbarcmipost.jpg

One method you can use to get that MI2 background feel is 'Posterizing' the CMI backgrounds, then adjusting the colours to give it a more saturated, painted feel. It's not perfect, but it's pretty easy to accomplish.

For example:

scummbarcmipost.jpg

For one thing, that would require either stretching or cropping, and that wouldn't look quite right; and Lucasarts probably wouldn't be too happy with us if we just used their original backgrounds.

Plus, it gives a better feeling of accomplishment to do it ourselves, but I'm not sure how much I speak for everybody else when I say that. Or for myself, for that matter, considering how little I've actually done. I should probably get to those music arrangements...

For one thing, that would require either stretching or cropping, and that wouldn't look quite right; and Lucasarts probably wouldn't be too happy with us if we just used their original backgrounds.

Plus, it gives a better feeling of accomplishment to do it ourselves, but I'm not sure how much I speak for everybody else when I say that. Or for myself, for that matter, considering how little I've actually done. I should probably get to those music arrangements...

Absolutely, it's totally a question of whether the group wants to redraw the backgrounds, or just focus on recreating the game in a SCUMM interface. Cropping the backgrounds wouldn't really be an issue, since more SCUMM games incorporated scrolling backgrounds that were larger than the viewable window.

Although, I'm not sure the biggest concern with this project is whether Lucasarts would be mad about cropping their background art. (The Guybrush sprites I've seen are combinations of their existing artwork anyway.) If they're going to say no to this project, it'll be at an intellectual property level, not a 'draw your own scumm bar' level.

Although, I'm not sure the biggest concern with this project is whether Lucasarts would be mad about cropping their background art. (The Guybrush sprites I've seen are combinations of their existing artwork anyway.) If they're going to say no to this project, it'll be at an intellectual property level, not a 'draw your own scumm bar' level.

I didn't say that they would be mad about cropping their background art, I said they would be mad if we used their background art. Anyway, the easiest way to avoid potential C&Ding is if we do everything for ourselves. Background art, sprites, music, all that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay i know that it has been a really long time since an update

but i finally got to a point where i feel comfortable with what i have accomplished to upload it

so here you go

version 0.0.1

there are several aesthetic changes and a new room

as of now murry and the skeletal arm are automatically outside the ship

because there is no cannon game

but i plan on incorporating it into the next version

which i hope will be out sooner than the last one

gemme some feedback

http://www.mediafire.com/?nw3sjkozcyevrsv

the screen and list of changes are on the first post

here

Ooh! A new screen, awesome! I'm going to download now, even if it is 11:00 at night :).

Edit: Well, after playing, I can honestly say that it was worth the slightly longer wait. The exterior of the ship looks nice, you've done a great job of Murray, and there are some good little pieces of dialogue that weren't in the original game. Only a couple of little niggles, though:

- 'Guards' is still spelled 'gaurds'

- After going outside, and then coming back in, Wally is standing up again. I'm guessing this wasn't intentional?

Apart from these, I have nothing bad to say. Great job and keep up the good work.

Archived