Home

Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so i decided to give redoing the cannon room without and anti aliasing using Cosmigo's Pro Motion

and this is the result. i am not 100% happy with it. i am thinking about just sticking to what i have.

i am kinda wanting to go with an in between MI1 and MI2 style, and i think i've achieved that...somewhat

any hoot, here is a comparison picture of what i have finished on the non anti aliasing and what i have in the game

currently:

CannonRoomTrue8-bitComparison.png

what do you guys think?

BTW i did some research online and i think that i may change my technique a bit when it comes to doing backgrounds.

8bit ftw!

Not to sure about the stars though, I don't mind some creative changes, but the grate or whatever looks better and is more logical.

I don't think the game takes place so late that the stars are clearly visible (more like early morning I suppose).

secondly I think it's a cloudy day (in the beginning of the game, though that may change) and most importantly LeChuck throws him in there to keep him captured, and I would never lock someone in in a room with a completely open ceiling.

Imagine that a play who hasn't played the original CMI plays this one.

The obvious solution would be to try and escape trough the ceiling, which of course id impossible (dont even think you can interact with the space, right)

(also the shadows of the grate are visible on the floor)

Oh, now I sound all negative, no I think this project is fan-tastic! Love it! And the 8 bit version looks great!

It's 'whet', dammit!

But apart from that, this looks really good. It's nice to see a fan project take shape that looks like it may actually lead to a final product, if it can jump through the legal hoops.

i am hoping that i can duck the legal hoops...for a while that is:thmbup1:

if you click on the banner in my sig you can go to my blog that i just started

from here i will be keeping everyone current with the progress

also i think i am going to change the name of this project from the "Old School Edition" to the "Classic Edition" if the mods could change this post to reflect that change that would be great. thanx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well i am ready for some MIDI music if anyone is up to do it for me:thmbup1:
Do you just need MIDIs for the 8 tracks you listed in a previous post? If so I'll get to work on them. This project has me more excited than any other Monkey Island fan project that I can remember, and I'd love to contribute to it.

I have a fairly large collection of MIDIs you can check out if you wanna assess my transcription abilities before enlisting me:

http://tabbernacle.blogspot.com/

As a taster I've transcribed the 11-second Chapter 1 track, "The Demise of the Zombie Pirate LeChuck". Here's the link:

http://www.pmcmullanjr.entadsl.com/tabs/midi/02_-_Chapter_1_-_The_Demise_of_the_Zombie_Pirate_LeChuck.mid

I'm playing the MIDI back using the basic Microsoft Windows soft synth, so I don't know how it will sound if you've got a different setup. I'm sure we'll iron that out in due course, though. I transcribe MIDIs in Guitar Pro, and I can share the GP file with whomever wants/needs it.

I won't be offended if you don't dig it (I don't usually transcribe pirate music haha) but regardless I hope you see this project through to the end because it'll be literally awesome. The beta demo had me at full mast the entire time. Damn, my first pirate pun!

its been a while since i have updated

i have been having computer problems lately

thankfully i have been backing up the game continuously

in the mean time

read an interview for the game at Indie Game Magazine

PaddyM that sounds great

the more help the better

you can just email me when you have something and i will put it in the game

my email is Jackpumpkinhead@writeme.com

• 2 weeks later...

I did these in Garageband, so they're MP3 files, not MIDI, but I hope they'll work. I actually started doing this quite a while ago, when the call first went out for music, but I forgot about it until now, so I just decided to finish them.

Opening

https://sites.google.com/site/aububuh/stuff/CMI-OpeningSolo.mp3?attredirects=0&d=1

Theme

https://sites.google.com/site/aububuh/stuff/CMI-Theme.mp3?attredirects=0&d=1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! *I'm new to the fourms so sorry if this looks weird lol*

I am interested in kind of using your idea of making new-er monkey island games 'classic' too! Is that okay?

(I'd like to try and make Escape from Monkey Island!)

I'm going to make the maps myself and i'm interested in any tips on how to use the programme that you used (just installed it!)

many thanks,

starwars threepwood

hey, i'm interested in helping you with the game! (i can kinda do midi music *only if i write it first using MuseScore* and i'm teaching myself to make backgrounds and maps!)

since i was 7 (i'm now 14) i've wanted to work with/something to do with LucasArts - and this is a big oppertunity for me! I'd also like to use your idea of making a newer game into an old retro one - so that's why i'd like to make Escape From Monkey island in the old amiga style! So if that's cool... that's cool! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hello! *I'm new to the fourms so sorry if this looks weird lol*

I am interested in kind of using your idea of making new-er monkey island games 'classic' too! Is that okay?

(I'd like to try and make Escape from Monkey Island!)

I'm going to make the maps myself and i'm interested in any tips on how to use the programme that you used (just installed it!)

many thanks,

starwars threepwood

hey, i'm interested in helping you with the game! (i can kinda do midi music *only if i write it first using MuseScore* and i'm teaching myself to make backgrounds and maps!)

since i was 7 (i'm now 14) i've wanted to work with/something to do with LucasArts - and this is a big oppertunity for me! I'd also like to use your idea of making a newer game into an old retro one - so that's why i'd like to make Escape From Monkey island in the old amiga style! So if that's cool... that's cool! Thanks

no be my guest...i cant really stop you ;)

but if yoiu would like to help me then i would welcome the help. conversly i would be willing to assist you too i you would help me. then maybe we can spread the work load a bit. just shoot me an email if your interested.

Archived