Home

Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)

I'm playing the MIDI back using the basic Microsoft Windows soft synth, so I don't know how it will sound if you've got a different setup. I'm sure we'll iron that out in due course, though. I transcribe MIDIs in Guitar Pro, and I can share the GP file with whomever wants/needs it.

What needs to be done is to have new MIDI versions of the digital soundtrack composed and then have those MIDIs reworked for and have the output recorded from an MT-32 and keep the game as a digital music pack. This way it sounds retro but everyone can hear it the same way.

If someone wants to recompose the soundtrack in MIDI form I can rework it (instrument-wise) for the MT-32 and record the output.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What needs to be done is to have new MIDI versions of the digital soundtrack composed and then have those MIDIs reworked for and have the output recorded from an MT-32 and keep the game as a digital music pack. This way it sounds retro but everyone can hear it the same way.

If someone wants to recompose the soundtrack in MIDI form I can rework it (instrument-wise) for the MT-32 and record the output.

I've already done a few tracks in Garageband, but I don't think it can export MIDI files. If it can, I would love to know how.

Anyway, I haven't posted LeChuck's Hold here yet, so here it is.

I've already done a few tracks in Garageband, but I don't think it can export MIDI files. If it can, I would love to know how.

Anyway, I haven't posted LeChuck's Hold here yet, so here it is.

I googled for it, and found this: http://www.macmusic.org/software/view.php/lang/en/id/2221/midiO

MIDI out support for GarageBand

MidiO is a small Audio Unit that generates MIDI out from GarageBand. In its current form, it is not intended to be a general purpose, full functionality MIDI interface. What it does provide is an internal MIDI out port to which other MIDI enabled programs can connect to. The MIDI data in the software instrument track for which midiO is chosen as a generator will be sent in sync with the playhead to the MIDI out port named "midiO".

I dunno how well it works though, as I'm not a musician, and use Windows.

That's a MIDI output driver not a MIDI exporter. Unless you can use some kind of loopback driver to record the MIDI output to a MIDI file with another program, it's kind of useless. And if you could, you wouldn't need Garage Band in the first place. I find it hard to believe it doesn't output standard MIDI files, though. Seems strange. But I've never used Garage Band.

finished version of the true 8-bit cannon room

please let me know what you think

should i stay with what i have or redo all of the backgrounds

CannonRoomTrue8-bitComparison2.png

Here's a little in-between version (converted to 129 colours just as your "new" background is):

blendb.png

I definatly prefer your 8-bit version, but thought it could do with a tad more work as pictured, let me know what you think!

Dude!!!!

if we could do this it would be amazing!!!

i would love to have the music to be more uniform

i have a few midis already from various sites that you could do while we figure out the whole garage band thing

do you still need

A Pirate I Was Meant To Be

as an instrumental?

well not really

i have a midi version sorry

@Aububuh: i know its a long proccess but i found this

http://macaudioguy.com/midi-and-garageband/

i have also read that if you have Logic you can import .band files

and from there export to midi

if you could post your .band files then maybe someone around here with Logic can convert them to MIDI for MusiclyInspired to "MT-32"ize :)

@MusiclyInspired: If you dont mind, could you start on the opening of MI3?

the midi file can be found here:

http://highland.mixnmojo.com/cmi.shtml

and then there are a few more here:

http://www.scummbar.com/resources/downloads/midi/cmimp.zip

i will post some of the stuff PaddyM did too so you can get started

btw thanx alot!:thmbup1:

Here's the difficulty screen music through the MT-32. I haven't found a good banjo sound yet so I just used one of the stock Guitar patches. If I find a good one later I'll make a new version.

CMI Difficulty Screen (MT-32)

EDIT: Found a banjo sound. At least, it's labeled banjo. Sounds better than the guitar I think anyway. Same link.

Here's the difficulty screen music through the MT-32. I haven't found a good banjo sound yet so I just used one of the stock Guitar patches. If I find a good one later I'll make a new version.

CMI Difficulty Screen (MT-32)

EDIT: Found a banjo sound. At least, it's labeled banjo. Sounds better than the guitar I think anyway. Same link.

at the moment i dont have a difficulty screen )c:

so i dont really need that, but i will definitely listen to it and maybe i can use it elswhere in the game.

as soon as i get a chance i'll post the music PaddyM sent me

Tried out the demo. I think I saw a screenshot of Murray on here earlier, but even after I've shot all of the pirates with the cannon, he doesn't show up. Did I encounter a bug, or is he just not in the demo?

Also, in the beginning, when Guybrush floats on that bumper car: There's way too much text at a time. Please only show a sentence or so at a time.

Other than that, it's really good.

Tried out the demo. I think I saw a screenshot of Murray on here earlier, but even after I've shot all of the pirates with the cannon, he doesn't show up. Did I encounter a bug, or is he just not in the demo?

Also, in the beginning, when Guybrush floats on that bumper car: There's way too much text at a time. Please only show a sentence or so at a time.

Other than that, it's really good.

i think that is a bug i'll fix it and upload a new version monday.

I had a thought about a way to make the cannon mini-game into more of a mini-game. I was playin the new demo, which is amazing by the way, then I thought of the see-saw puzzle in SoMI, and how you have to push and pull it into the right position to hit the banana tree (or if your like me, your ship :)) so I thought, why not do the same thing with a cannon? Except titling it up and down, instead of side to side. Just an idea. Keep up the good work! :thmbup1:

Okay, I could play through the demo now without any technical bugs

However, I did find two typos:

• "Captian's" (The first thing Guybrush says while floating in the bumper car) should be "Captain's".
  • "Cutless" (shown when you hover the mouse over the cutlass) should be "Cutlass".

I also found two problems with the graphics:

• Murray's sprite looks kinda weird - his eyes look more like plusses (+) than eye sockets. Check out the anti-alias section of this topic on The Spriter's Resource, it'll really help you.
  • The shading on the bumper car makes no sense. It doesn't appear to have any depth at all, but rather a gradient that goes from red to darker red.

Oh, yeah, and the problem with way too much text at once in the opening "cut scene" is still there, but you already knew that. Keep up the good work! :)

Okay, I could play through the demo now without any technical bugs

However, I did find two typos:

• "Captian's" (The first thing Guybrush says while floating in the bumper car) should be "Captain's".
  • "Cutless" (shown when you hover the mouse over the cutlass) should be "Cutlass".

I also found two problems with the graphics:

• Murray's sprite looks kinda weird - his eyes look more like plusses (+) than eye sockets. Check out the anti-alias section of this topic on The Spriter's Resource, it'll really help you.
  • The shading on the bumper car makes no sense. It doesn't appear to have any depth at all, but rather a gradient that goes from red to darker red.

Oh, yeah, and the problem with way too much text at once in the opening "cut scene" is still there, but you already knew that. Keep up the good work! :)

i appreciate your constructive criticism and help

as far as the "to much text at the beginning" goes, i did that because those are the exact words from the game and that is the pace and flow from the original. if there are alot of people that complaint i will probably change it.

i think i can change the sprite for Murray, that shouldnt be a problem at all

but the bumper car sprite i would need some assistance on, i am not exactly sure how to go about doing it. i really need some help as far as the art goes anyway, if you are interested i would love to add you on as an artist on this project. i just feel so spread thin with this project and i really could use all of the help i can get.

EDIT:

Nevermind on the bumper car sprite, i think i understand what you mean

but i would still love to have some help on anything you can help with

I was without Internet access yesterday, so I didn't see your reply... So, well, I've sprited a bumper car for you.

Curse%20Bumper%20Car%201.PNG

Not perfect, but I dare say it's better than the one in the demo. I'll probably work some more on it.

:eek:

Holy crap! That is way better!

If tou are interested I would like to add you on as a spriter. As I said earlier I could use all the help I can get.

Super impressed by the demo -- it works brilliantly.

Is the second part of the intro going to be remade as well? Would be harder than the first part but would be nice to see it. Btw I always considered it a flaw that there was essential plot delivered after the credits in the CMI intro. Most people skipped the credits and missed it. I missed it for ages and wondered how Guybrush ended up in the hold.

Saw a typo in the intro... I think it was is instead of his. I forget now. Text needs to be divided up as people have said.

as far as the "to much text at the beginning" goes, i did that because those are the exact words from the game and that is the pace and flow from the original. if there are alot of people that complaint i will probably change it.
Just needs to be divided more (nothing deleted). Guybrush doesn't say all his lines in one block like that; there is more rhythm. Incidentally you capture the timing perfectly in the wally dialogue.

Perhaps it could be done in a similar way as the narration text is done in SMI. For instance, the large text narrating the "meanwhile" after you leave the Scumm Bar for the first time and the first cinematic with LeChuck appears. Make it that style of large narration text instead of Guybrush speaking it. The text could work in larger amounts that way.

I'm new to this forum but I've been following this from the start and Wow...

This and about 2 other fan games on the internet are the only ones to catch my interest and this one has got me more excited, I just want to see what the barber shop would look like!

The one thing that I find wrong about the demo is probably the most minor thing, its the bottle of grog at the start. Standing up straight makes it look like its on a conveyor belt for me while in real life, a bottle at sea would be slanted.

Also I don't find a problem with the text at the beginning I can read it all at my own pace. Split it up would (judging you were going on the same text speed) make it go twice as slow which would put the text out of sync with the music and you would have to rework the music.

thats my thought anyway, keep it up:thmbup1:

Archived