Home

Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)

Since Part 1 was only a couple of rooms, why not extend part 1 to include escaping the carnival?

But that kinda already happens at the end of the game, it would make the end part a bit lackluster because you're doing the same thing again... (not exactly the same thing but you know what I mean, same environments and what not).

I think you may have to rewrite quite a bit of that opening section. Not sure how the cannon part will work when you're shooting the boats, as well as the bit with murray when you're stuck beside the cannon. If you want it in keeping with the old style you will have to do some rewrites.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i have played around with a few ideas for this

i am not sure

i am just trying to concentrate on making the demo first

then i will move on to the next part

if i do add anything i probably wont do it until the end and just add it in

btw here is an update of the cannon room

i redid the whole thing using paint.net its a really nice program

it has a combination of gimp tools and graphicsgale tools

CannonRoomResizedForAgs.png

i would if i really knew what i was doing :)

Gotta agree with this guy, don't use gradients. Better to draw your own shading, pixel by pixel :)

Or maybe, could just mix and match old monkey island backgrounds

Something I quickly and roughly made: curseroom.jpg

Something like that perhaps ;) obviously not finished, I just did the main parts to give you the idea

You could go the MI2 route and do hand-drawn/sketched backgrounds. Or you could got the SMI route and make the backgrounds with Deluxe Paint II. It's free now since it's an ancient DOS tool. But it's what was used to create all of LucasArts adventure graphics up until SMI/Indy3/Loom (actually now that I think of it, I believe FOA used it as well). It has the ability to do either clean, uniform noise, or random noise gradient fills (you can see this in LucasArts' games). It's a great program. I once tried to VGA-ify a Space Quest II screen with it. Not very good at it, but it would've been interesting to see an SQ2 screen VGA-ified much like how Loom, Indy 3, and SMI were VGA-ified LucasArts style. Here's a cool tutorial as well for how to get a classic LucasArts look.

It also supports rotating palettes (that cool gradient animation effect on things like the lava underneath the honkey head in SMI. AGS supports rotating palettes, incidentally, but only in 8-bit 256 color mode. Incidentally, LucasFan also used Dpaint to VGA-ify the graphics for Maniac Mansion Deluxe.

Nice screen, Scapetti! A collage-type remake of other MI graphics is a neat way to go as well. After all, it's what the King's Quest I and II AGS remakes did for their first versions (they've since been re-released with brand new hand-painted backgrounds).

You could go the MI2 route and do hand-drawn/sketched backgrounds. Or you could got the SMI route and make the backgrounds with Deluxe Paint II. It's free now since it's an ancient DOS tool. But it's what was used to create all of LucasArts adventure graphics up until SMI/Indy3/Loom (actually now that I think of it, I believe FOA used it as well). It has the ability to do either clean, uniform noise, or random noise gradient fills (you can see this in LucasArts' games). It's a great program. I once tried to VGA-ify a Space Quest II screen with it. Not very good at it, but it would've been interesting to see an SQ2 screen VGA-ified much like how Loom, Indy 3, and SMI were VGA-ified LucasArts style. Here's a cool tutorial as well for how to get a classic LucasArts look.

It also supports rotating palettes (that cool gradient animation effect on things like the lava underneath the honkey head in SMI. AGS supports rotating palettes, incidentally, but only in 8-bit 256 color mode. Incidentally, LucasFan also used Dpaint to VGA-ify the graphics for Maniac Mansion Deluxe.

Nice screen, Scapetti! A collage-type remake of other MI graphics is a neat way to go as well. After all, it's what the King's Quest I and II AGS remakes did for their first versions (they've since been re-released with brand new hand-painted backgrounds).

this is amazing

i am going to try it out

i was wondering how i was going to make things look more oldschool

i thought about hand drawing all of the backgrounds like MI2 and then scanning them in and pixelizing them somehow

but i figured it would take way to much time

but considering how long it is taking me now i may try it out

but i definately want to try Deluxe Paint II first

thanx again

Yes, use DOSBox. Only way it'll work. No biggie, though. Just drag the DP.EXE icon onto your DOSBox shortcut and it'll load up no problem. But don't think it won't take a lot of time. I tried out VGA-ifying a screen myself from King's Quest I SCI just last night because I got in the mood again. No where near finished yet. Be prepared to take your time. Game making isn't made overnight. Especially not the artwork. Take your time and make it look good.

I think it would be interesting though. It would involve a bumper car puzzle. As for the cannon puzzle. Maybe it can just be implied that Guybrush shot LeChuck's crew. Explosion sound with Guybrush saying "Sorry!"

And that's not all. You can add Rat and Dinghy Dog as well ;)

I recommend using down-scaled paintings like MI2.

And I recommended down-scaling CMI backgrounds, and after that was given a no, I recommended mix and matching old SMI and MI2 backgrounds... which was painfully ignored...

Ahh well...

I just did this, it's a mish-mash of basically everything that's been done so far...

mashupcmi.jpg

I'm not saying it should be used, but I reckon if that was just touched up, it might actually be quicker than redrawing the whole thing :/

I recommend using down-scaled paintings like MI2.

the more i entertain this idea the more i like it

but alas i dont know how to paint

i thought about using colored pencils

And I recommended down-scaling CMI backgrounds, and after that was given a no, I recommended mix and matching old SMI and MI2 backgrounds... which was painfully ignored...

Ahh well...

I just did this, it's a mish-mash of basically everything that's been done so far...

mashupcmi.jpg

I'm not saying it should be used, but I reckon if that was just touched up, it might actually be quicker than redrawing the whole thing :/

the problem with using the comi backgrounds and scaling them down is

1. the size of the backgrounds for MI1 and MI2 are 320x144 and the size of the COMI background are 600x480 so there i would either have to heavily crop the background or there would be black bars on either side of the background and

2. i think the style of the COMI backgrounds i quite different to the style in the previous games.

as far as the mashup idea goes i didnt say anything because i have no idea what i am doing as far as that goes and i am no 100% sure that it would look that great if i did it. but i appreciate your effort and help

idk i almost need a background artist to help me out with this so that i can concentrate on the game itself

I know it's a bit crude but is there any way to scroll the background vertically inside the view window? Hard to picture it... might be a disaster but might work too, wherever necessary (where the action happens close to the top or bottom of the original background) to scroll according to how "deep" in the room guybrush is standing/walking.

I will personally give a million dollars to the person who does this to EMI (which will of course require all new artwork!)

I know it's a bit crude but is there any way to scroll the background vertically inside the view window? Hard to picture it... might be a disaster but might work too, wherever necessary (where the action happens close to the top or bottom of the original background) to scroll according to how "deep" in the room guybrush is standing/walking.

I will personally give a million dollars to the person who does this to EMI (which will of course require all new artwork!)

um...what:confused:

That would be unnecessary and distracting. Or unnecessarily distracting, if you will.

Archived