Home

Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)

okay, i got a chance to get a lot done on this

of course there still is a bunch i have to do

but this is the basics of what i am working with

i know some of you are going to crucify me for using gradients

but this is just a demo

hopefully if i can get more done i can show this off at a few other forums

and get some more help with the backgrounds

so here you go

the first demo of the demo...sounds a little redundant :)

the interface of this game is slightly different than the actual scumm engine

instead of clicking "use" to use and inventory item with somthing

you can just click the inventory item and then whatever you wanna use

that item with.

enjoy!

[screenshot]

COMIOEScreen.png

[url="http://www.mediafire.com/?ix342n4ydty"]http://www.mediafire.com/?ix342n4ydty[/url]

From now on all updates to the actual demo will be posted as updates on the first post of this thread

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite nice. Needs some more detail and a bit more dramatic lighting. Also, this is an undead pirates ship so it should look a bit more worn and decayed. It looks unfinished anyway, though. But I'm impressed with the design layout quite a bit. Nice work.

Keep it up. The demo plays well, too. Though, I'd suggest adding the shortcut keys for each verb as well. As in these:

O = Open

C = Close

L = Look at

U = Use

S = Push

Y = Pull

T = Talk to

P = Pick up

G = Give

It'd probably only require something like adding these keys to the global script at the repeatedly_execute function and then making the command mimic the function of clicking on whatever verb it's supposed to activate.

i added the keyboard shortcuts the way you said

i will be working on making the cannon room alot dirtier too

thanx for the suggestions

also i havent had alot of experience with ags code, though i do know the basics of c++/java

but i am having a hard time trying to figure out how to make it so that when you click on an inventory item it will just look at it instead of using it

i posted this on the ags forums and the reply that i got was this:

you can edit the template at line 1261 (at least in version 1.2.1):

Code:

SetAction (eGA_LookAt);

location=GSinvloc;

if (ii.IsInteractionAvailable(eModeLookat)) {

used_action = global_action;

ii.RunInteraction(eModeLookat);

SetAction(eMA_Default);

}

though i am not sure on how to modify this code to make it do what i want it to do.

if there is anyone out there that could explain it to me

i dont necessarily want someone to do it for me

i just need some explanation as to what i can do to make it work the way i want it to.

Really nice SCI screenshot from the intro of CMI. Let me also mention the GrafX2 bitmap graphics editor which is released under the GNU GPL license (therefore is a free -as in freedom- software tool). It was a DOS application until 2001 and it was used by demo coders for the demoscene. It supports numerous (actually the most) operating systems out there. Good thing to know I believe.

the sci code looks very similar to c++

you should totally be able to figure it out.

The syntax is similar, but the commands and variables and whatnot are completely different. I can't make heads or tails out of that block of code you posted.

Really nice SCI screenshot from the intro of CMI.

Actually, the style and interface are that of AGI not SCI.

hows this for dirtier and mood lighting

NewBackground.jpg

this version will be included in the new version when i am done with it

I love the slime on the walls, love the light from the ceiling grate, but the wood panels do need a bit more grit, and your best bet for that is still going to be hand shading. Other that that, it looks great.

Indeed. Everything looks nice but the wood, which looks like plastic. I think the wood needs to be darker first of all. Then add some ridges and such by using lighting and shading. Use that image of Wally's ship-shack for reference. Right now the whole room looks like it's entirely lit so there's no dramatic changes in the lighting.

I'm no artist, this is just my personal observation. Maybe a real artist can come in here and confirm or deny what I'm saying.

This is very very promising, though!

Looks great! I especially like the slime on the walls and the cannon balls.

Is it possible to make the lighting from the grate a different colour, like orange, or green? It would add more variety to the image.

I love the slime on the walls, love the light from the ceiling grate, but the wood panels do need a bit more grit, and your best bet for that is still going to be hand shading. Other that that, it looks great.

Indeed. Everything looks nice but the wood, which looks like plastic. I think the wood needs to be darker first of all. Then add some ridges and such by using lighting and shading. Use that image of Wally's ship-shack for reference. Right now the whole room looks like it's entirely lit so there's no dramatic changes in the lighting.

yeah i know what you guys mean. i am just having a hard time wrapping my head around how to go about doing this.

i am not sure about how to "hand shade the walls". i can change the color of the walls, like making them darker, but i am not sure about the shading and grit or how to go about doing that.

i might post on a few other forums for help on this for suggestions and help.

Is it possible to make the lighting from the grate a different colour, like orange, or green? It would add more variety to the image.

yes it is, and i have thought about doing that too :thmbup1:

You basically want more broken wood, loose nails. Have some of the wood panels stick out and stuff. And like you know how wood deforms when it gets wet? Also keep in mind that this is currently in a battle scene. There are cannons being fired at LeChuck's ship. That and it's sorta a ghost ship anyway... and there were puddles on the floor in the CMI one! You know, just make it like falling apart and stuff. Not like it's just been built, you really don't want to be using so many straight lines...

And as for the lighting from the grate being a different colour? I don't personally think so. That's the colour it should be, it would look odd as any other colour :S I think the scene will look more complete when you get that cannon in it (and the ramrod). At this moment it's a bit hard to judge and the scene looks a bit empty...

You basically want more broken wood, loose nails. Have some of the wood panels stick out and stuff. And like you know how wood deforms when it gets wet? Also keep in mind that this is currently in a battle scene. There are cannons being fired at LeChuck's ship. That and it's sorta a ghost ship anyway... and there were puddles on the floor in the CMI one! You know, just make it like falling apart and stuff. Not like it's just been built, you really don't want to be using so many straight lines...

And as for the lighting from the grate being a different colour? I don't personally think so. That's the colour it should be, it would look odd as any other colour :S I think the scene will look more complete when you get that cannon in it (and the ramrod). At this moment it's a bit hard to judge and the scene looks a bit empty...

thanx this helps a lot

i will do some modding of the scene

as far as adding the cannon and the ramrod

i am hoping to get most of this done this weekend

i do have a real job that is always getting in the way of my hobbies :D

so the weekends are when i am able to get most of the work done on this

as soon as i get these changes made i will be posting an update to the demo

on the first post

so keep a sharp eye everyone!

ps

i agree about the grate lighting

i dont think changing the color is necessary