Home

why dont jedi use blasters?

Pendergast

I fill myself with shame for accepting a setting where spaceships don't need to discharge built-up heat from space travel, planets can have water-filled cores or be covered entirely in skyscrapers, and a mystical energy field that goes through all living things grants some people magic powers.

And then trying to apply logic and science to it. I think I have a problem.

I'm not uptodate with my EU, but from what I know, Grievous was not human, he was a warlord of some kind who was probably injured and got himself cyborgified.[/quote

If you look online at top 100 Star wars characters of all time, There is a little back story, behind Grievous!

I fill myself with shame for accepting a setting where spaceships don't need to discharge built-up heat from space travel, planets can have water-filled cores or be covered entirely in skyscrapers, and a mystical energy field that goes through all living things grants some people magic powers.

And then trying to apply logic and science to it. I think I have a problem.

Yeah and then there's that whole thing about there being no sound in space and light being immaterial and therefore unable to create physical barriers, but whatever.

Also, don't forget the Felucians from TFU! They have force powers.

I think that for certain types of troops in the Star Wars universe, lightsaber bayonets would be very appropriate.

After further consideration of the matter, I believe energy weapons to be superior to projectile ones. They are not affected necessarily by greater mass and can disintegrate it, a feat no projectile can perform against a denser alloy than its own. The problem of storage is also eliminated as energy cells require less space than physical ammunition. Greater development of man´s mind is also reflected in the invention of insubstantial arms.

What about: it's all fantasy and laser bolts look nicer than projectiles?

That's pretty much what I said at the end of my first post. Something along the lines of 'using bullets wouldn't be space-opera enough'. Star Wars is just not 'hard' science fiction. It's 'soft' enough that really I should be calling it space fantasy (since fantasy doesn't need to be medieval).

But I still couldn't resist a good nitpick. Hey, at least we're not arguing about whether or not the Endor Holocaust would have happened.

On a side note, from the Grey Paladin page, it sounds like the author of the books they were in had recently seen the movie 'Wanted', what with bending blaster bolts, and deflecting them with other blaster bolts. Which would kind of make sense with bullet-using force-user (or maybe we've just been unfair to stormtroopers' aiming ability, and Luke's been 'curving the blaster bolt' away from him the entire time). Oh god I'm nitpicking again. It's like I have a disease.

• 2 weeks later...
Because they Use Lightsabers, & in the movie it says The Lightsaber is not as Random as a Blaster

Not as random as a blaster is a vague reference. I would have explained the idea more clearly by saying it was. Did Obi Wan mean to say that blasters are randomly inefficient or imprecise?

Not as random as a blaster is a vague reference. I would have explained the idea more clearly by saying it was. Did Obi Wan mean to say that blasters are randomly inefficient or imprecise?

I would say both, seriously the storm trooper's laser rifle is useless, not to mention, by no means does it shoot straight!

• 1 year later...

Archived